Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

41st Berlin Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭carrick76

I'm in for this too but 3.59 my target

I have done a 21 mile LSR the weekend before last and 15m race pace (9.10min/mile) last weekend.

I'm planning a 22 mile LSR this weekend.

Can't wait for the race now.

belcarra wrote: »
    How are plans ticking along for this?
    I ran a slightly disappointing HM in Tullamore on Sat last so have targeted sub 3:20 now and anything else is a bonus.

Last 'long' LSR for me this weekend!

what was your pace for half marathon? did you run marathon race pace or did you try for a faster time?

I wasn't sure what to do myself last weekend but ended up running at my planned race pace. I struggled a little at the end but my recovery was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

belcarra wrote: »
    How are plans ticking along for this?
    I ran a slightly disappointing HM in Tullamore on Sat last so have targeted sub 3:20 now and anything else is a bonus.

Last 'long' LSR for me this weekend!

Looking forward to taper madness now!!
    First time doing a 18 week plan so feeling a bit jaded at this stage. Last real long run this weekend followed by last tune up race the following weekend- get through them and wrap myself in cotton wool whilst trying not to over eat and put on weight during the taper (always a problem for me :roll eyes: )
    Still hoping for sub 3:10. Did Yasso 800's this morning and averaged 3:06 per rep so fingers crossed I'll hit my target.
    What are people's post run plans? Think Ireland are playing in The rugby world cup at about 6 that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Gonna run straight to the pub

Only one long run left

Only one.......

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Good to see a bit of life coming back to this! Was starting to think no one else was going.

Have a 20m and a 21m done. Another 20m planned this weekend.

Bar a couple of 10mile races, I haven't raced anything of note in last few weeks. I have found in the past that racing takes a lot out of me.

Legs starting to feel the training as the weeks come in. 11miles this evening with 5x1.2km @5km pace should keep me honest though.

Sideswipe - the Yasso's 800m. Seen them mentioned before but never tried them. How many reps did you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

carrick76 wrote: »
    what was your pace for half marathon? did you run marathon race pace or did you try for a faster time?

I wasn't sure what to do myself last weekend but ended up running at my planned race pace. I struggled a little at the end but my recovery was good.
    I raced it. Was using it as a race predictor for the full. Think I could have gone a bit faster had conditions been a little cooler but then Berlin will probably be pretty warm too.
    To be honest, I'm still recovering from that race (and the all-Ireland Sunday afterwards!) and the quads are a little tender yet.

Sounds like your tactics were fine and should allow for a quicker recovery.
    sideswipe wrote: »
    What are people's post run plans? Think Ireland are playing in The rugby world cup at about 6 that night.

We were in the Oscar Wilde last year but I didn't think it was a great bar to be honest. I have been advised that The Kilkenny is a better bet. We'll likely go there instead this year.

bigslice wrote: »
    Good to see a bit of life coming back to this! Was starting to think no one else was going.

Have a 20m and a 21m done. Another 20m planned this weekend.

Bar a couple of 10mile races, I haven't raced anything of note in last few weeks. I have found in the past that racing takes a lot out of me.

Legs starting to feel the training as the weeks come in. 11miles this evening with 5x1.2km @5km pace should keep me honest though.

Sideswipe - the Yasso's 800m. Seen them mentioned before but never tried them. How many reps did you do?

First time using them as a predictor so will tell you on the 27th how accurate they are!!
    I did the prescribed 10x800. The general consensus is average rep + 5 mins so hopefully I can cut the mustard for sub 3:10!
    Here McMillan's take on it-
    https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/5

First time using them as a predictor so will tell you on the 27th how accurate they are!!
    I did the prescribed 10x800. The general consensus is average rep + 5 mins so hopefully I can cut the mustard for sub 3:10!
    Here McMillan's take on it-
    https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/5

Cheers! The 27th will tell the tale alright. Did you use them before in your training cycle or was this your first experience of them?

My plan had a race pencilled in for next weekend. Was struggling to get to a race, so might try this instead.

Cheers! The 27th will tell the tale alright. Did you use them before in your training cycle or was this your first experience of them?

My plan had a race pencilled in for next weekend. Was struggling to get to a race, so might try this instead.

First time trying it out. It's a solid session, and worthwhile regardless of prediction accuracy but tough enough so I don't think I recommend it too close to race day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

[Reluctantly and with a heavy heart clicks unfollow thread]

Best of luck in Berlin everyone, hope you hit your targets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Ireland are playing Romania at about 5.30 local time I think ....plan has to befind an Irish bar, and wear green ( assuming I've finished the marathon at that stage of course !).

(Meanwhile back at the farm..taper madness sure sucks big time !)

adrian522 wrote: »

Sorry to hear that Adrian, been in your shoes before so know how it feels- the good news is that ups feel so much sweeter after downs like this. Best of luck for your recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Training's been going well and after running 1:22:50 for a half earlier this year i'm hoping for a crack at 2:59:59. We shall see.

I bought a ticket to go and watch Union Berlin on the saturday lunchtime but not sure if i'll actually go yet, might just be in the mood for doing absolutely nothing instead! Definitely up for pub for the rugby on sunday though.
    adrian522 wrote: »

One of my club mates has had to make a similar decision, obviously disappointing for him (and selfishly for me as we were targetting the same time) but important to remember the bigger picture. Better off recovering fully and reaping the rewards of all your training later. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dutchie

Sorry to hear that Adrian, especially so close to the day, as they say have the battle of running a marathon is getting to the start line.

Personally training has been going well.
    I ran 1.20.30 in the Clonmel half, so pretty pleased. I am following P and D training plan again this year with a few tweaks.
    I take one less rest day and also i'm upping the amount of PMP miles i do during my LSR. I have also increased LSR distances.

This weekend will be my 3rd and final 22mile run. Last Sunday I did a 22m LSR with 16m @6.30, all other miles sub 7. So overall pretty pleased.
    This is the first training schedule that I've run with other people (they are all faster than me) it makes the LSR so much more enjoyable (if that's the right term!)

Best of luck to everyone going to Berlin, there seems to be a massive contingent of all abilities travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

Training going well although have been tired last 3 weeks hitting peak mileage. Using customised P&D plan which I used last year for Berlin.

Ran Tullamore Half and was minute and a half slower this year than last year. I thought it was a tougher run this year with heat and wind. Struggled last 4 miles.

24 miles this Sunday and that's the last 20+ mile and start a gradual taper.

Few lads going over from club this year aiming for more or less for same time in or around 3 hours.

Good luck with the next few weeks everyone, stay healthy.

loughie wrote: »
    Ran Tullamore Half and was minute and a half slower this year than last year. I thought it was a tougher run this year with heat and wind. Struggled last 4 miles.

Kind of reassuring to me to hear you saying that Loughie!
    My race was almost exactly like that too but about 2mins off where I hoped to be.
    Anyways, get through this weekend and it'll all be downhill then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Achilles injury on right ankle any suggestions.
    RICE I imagine or cross training(cycling).
    Successfully completed MCI marathon in Craughwell last weekend.
    Walked last 5km lap.
    any tips to strengthen ankle?
    thanks
    John

How the last big run go over the weekend? Did 20miles yesterday myself, fairly happy with them. Was struggling at start of week with heavy, weary legs but as week went on they got a bit of life back. Took it very easy early on in the run and then finished last 6 round MP and averaged 7.15 for this last section. Happy with that and have felt good since.

Hard work largely done at this stage and all about keeping healthy and injury free now.

Got a 22 mile LSR done on Saturday...went well but very sunny in Galway and no suncream :o

Happy that I'm into the taper too

22 miler yesterday and so taper time for me too. 10k race next Saturday followed by 18 on Sunday and the taper will really kick in. I've started to check the weather :rolleyes:, it was 38 degrees there one day last week:eek: cooling down nicely now. I'm hoping for 10 degrees with light drizzle on race morning followed by temps in the mid 20's after lunch for the beer garden!!!

Hope everyone is going well.

• Advertisement

10 miler at pace on Saturday, coming in at ~71min (Coulda have been sub 70min if it wasnt for the wind and pesky hills)

15 mile jog on Sunday just to put some miles up.

last long run on Saturday. Was going to do a 25 miler (possibly cut it short, depending on how it goes) and then a 2 week taper.

Almost there lads

10 miler at pace on Saturday, coming in at ~71min (Coulda have been sub 70min if it wasnt for the wind and pesky hills)

15 mile jog on Sunday just to put some miles up.

last long run on Saturday. Was going to do a 25 miler (possibly cut it short, depending on how it goes) and then a 2 week taper.

Almost there lads

Really? I didn't think too many would clock up that length of a LSR before the marathon unless of course you're at the higher end of the scale :)

Planned for a 36km run on Sat but ended up cutting it short at 33km.
    The first 28km or so was at a nice clip so probably a bit too fast for a training run and paid the price in the end.

Planning on doing a 20km at MP mid week and then possibly a 23-25km run the day after.
    Then a 25km run at the weekend as the taper begins!

Really? I didn't think too many would clock up that length of a LSR before the marathon unless of course you're at the higher end of the scale :)

Was going to give it a go and just ease off if it gets to much. Always feel like I havent done enough. :confused:

Registration email with "start card" came this lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Does anyone know how strict they are on the start areas? I'll be in pen E based on my current PB but i'd like to start in back of C/beginning of D based on what i'm aiming for.

If it's not possible to move up will starting a bit further back likely to have much of an impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

Think I was in D last year got well up the front of it. They marshal the gates into the race start. So if your bib is D corral you enter the start at the D gate. But you can move up quite easily once you are in. Just before the race started I was well into C. I felt I was in right location relative to my finish time.

Lets say I was aiming for 4:30 I wouldn't be trying to get into C Corral!

It is quite a crowded race especially at the 3 hour pace time and I'm sure its crowded all the way down the field.

One tip I got was to move over to the left hand side of the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

How do you know what starting pen you have been allocated to? I can't see any reference to it on the email received yesterday. Maybe I'm missing something?

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/info-and-service/faq/race-day/start.html
    wowzer wrote: »
    How do you know what starting pen you have been allocated to? I can't see any reference to it on the email received yesterday. Maybe I'm missing something?

I didn't see any letter on email or print off but have been going by this on the run website. My start pass did include my PB that was entered on registration, so going by this I'd be E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/info-and-service/faq/race-day/start.html

I didn't see any letter on email or print off but have been going by this on the run website. My start pass did include my PB that was entered on registration, so going by this I'd be E.

Perfect thanks for that..

Advertisement