Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

41st Berlin Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

bigslice wrote: »
    http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/info-and-service/faq/race-day/start.html

I didn't see any letter on email or print off but have been going by this on the run website. My start pass did include my PB that was entered on registration, so going by this I'd be E.

Moi aussi but this still wave one (Red) I barely get in with 3.29 but have since done a wee bit quicker(3.27:D). Trick will to be not to over cook it to early so the back of the bunch for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

Does anyone know how strict they are on the start areas? I'll be in pen E based on my current PB but i'd like to start in back of C/beginning of D based on what i'm aiming for.

If it's not possible to move up will starting a bit further back likely to have much of an impact?

I found it surprisingly easy to change pens. Last year I had entered for Pen D (3.00h - 3.15h) but at the registration asked to change it to Pen C (sub 3), all it involved was going to a stand to the left of the area where you pick up your registration pack (at the very back of the hall). It involved the lady sticking a C over the D on my bib, took about 30 seconds.

They are, however, quite strict on insisting you have photo ID with you and they stick a gold bracelet round your wrist which you must show to gain entry to the race area on Sunday morning. The entry to the pens on race day is also strict, they will only let you into the pen on your race number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Caprica wrote: »
    I found it surprisingly easy to change pens. Last year I had entered for Pen D (3.00h - 3.15h) but at the registration asked to change it to Pen C (sub 3), all it involved was going to a stand to the left of the area where you pick up your registration pack (at the very back of the hall). It involved the lady sticking a C over the D on my bib, took about 30 seconds.

They are, however, quite strict on insisting you have photo ID with you and they stick a gold bracelet round your wrist which you must show to gain entry to the race area on Sunday morning. The entry to the pens on race day is also strict, they will only let you into the pen on your race number.

where is the pen information???
    I wan t a sub 4 hr and would like to go with the 4hr pacers.
    thanks
    john

seanin4711 wrote: »
    thanks
    john

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/race-week/interactive-map.html

You need to get into Pen G Then Seanin 03.:50 - 04:15

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/race-week/runners-info.html

Wave 2 with a colour code of amber

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

So, after a disappointing last LSR on Sat I went out and ran 21.7km @ mp (4:40/km) last night along the Royal Canal from Le Cheile to almost Kilcock and back (via Carton House Estate).
    Felt good and I could have gone further so all that (combined with an uneven surface for much of it) has meant my confidence has returned somewhat.
    We fly two weeks today!:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck everyone in 2 weeks time :eek:

Just thought I'd post this if you can't make it...

I emailed them about cancelling and they have refunded the price of the chip rental €6 and the T-shirt €30.

They also gave me a €30 discount off next years race (with guaranteed entry).

Not perfect but better than the "No refunds" response I was expecting.

MacSwifty wrote: »
    http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/race-week/interactive-map.html

You need to get into Pen G Then Seanin 03.:50 - 04:15

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/race-week/runners-info.html

Wave 2 with a colour code of amber

is their pacers though as bit of a range from 3.50-4.15(dont want to sli[ inot the latter).
    sub 4hr pacers?
    looks like i will be between pen f and G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Last long run done, 24 miles. Now for the madness of the taper

is their pacers though as bit of a range from 3.50-4.15(dont want to sli[ inot the latter).
    sub 4hr pacers?
    looks like i will be between pen f and G

pacers at 15 min intervals from 03:00 hr up

There will be pacemakers in every starting block carrying balloons and wearing yellow shirts with the words PACE 3:00, 3:15, 3:30, 3:45, 4:00, 4:15 or 4:30! Hope that helps. See you in Berlin, Julia!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

There will be pacemakers in every starting block carrying balloons and wearing yellow shirts with the words PACE 3:00, 3:15, 3:30, 3:45, 4:00, 4:15 or 4:30!

And I wouldn't trust any of them.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dutchie

There will be pacemakers in every starting block carrying balloons and wearing yellow shirts with the words PACE 3:00, 3:15, 3:30, 3:45, 4:00, 4:15 or 4:30! Hope that helps.

In case you are unaware, for anyone targeting 2.30 (not me), there is also and unoffical 2.30 'train'.

Good luck to everyone going to Berlin, this s*** is starting to get real now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Plenty of the top Irish lads going I hear ? Sergio, Hehir, etc. should be interesting contest within the race...http://www.the42.ie/sergiu-ciobanu-moldovan-born-irishman-2313607-Sep2015/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Has anyone any experience of being able to get starting block changed in Berlin when on their first marathon. Someone else in the club has just discovered they have been stuck in the final start pen due to not having done a previous marathon. However she already has the championship place confirmed for London next year and I'd be surprised if she didn't get exceedingly close to 3hrs, if not sub 3. Just no chance of that in starting from the back.

Any hints that I could pass on for potentially getting moved forwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

robinph wrote: »
    Any hints that I could pass on for potentially getting moved forwards?

There is a desk at expo you can request a change in your starting pen. I didn't do myself but I understand they are considerate enough to changing especially in your friends case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

thanks
    john

Pacers were $hit in Berlin last year. All over the place. At one stage the 3 hr pacers pi$$ed by me and then I past them as they stopped at the next water station for a drink and a chat :confused:

I heard similar stories from others at different pacing slots so make sure you keep an eye on how you are going and don't let them fock it up on you.

Apart from a few loopy pacer this is an absolutely super event. Loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lila

Getting excited now : )

This will be my first marathon outside of Dublin so 'google mapping' everything - time from hotel to expo, hotel to start line etc, etc! I watched a few YouTube videos last night of brave souls who ran while recording sections of their race. It was interesting to see the KM markers (huge and easy to spot) and the setup at refreshment stops (very messy and sticky with cups, drinks & gels). Also reminded me how busy this race will be - the crowds were massive on the course so arranging to meet my husband afterwards is going to have to be well planned.

Hope everyone stays healthy and injury free for the next 13 days. Fight the taper maddness!

Lila wrote: »
    Getting excited now : )

This will be my first marathon outside of Dublin so 'google mapping' everything - time from hotel to expo, hotel to start line etc, etc! I watched a few YouTube videos last night of brave souls who ran while recording sections of their race. It was interesting to see the KM markers (huge and easy to spot) and the setup at refreshment stops (very messy and sticky with cups, drinks & gels). Also reminded me how busy this race will be - the crowds were massive on the course so arranging to meet my husband afterwards is going to have to be well planned.

Hope everyone stays healthy and injury free for the next 13 days. Fight the taper maddness!

Meeting up afterwards is very easy. Massive big area with a-z meeting points so just pick a letter and you will be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

yaboya1 wrote: »
    And I wouldn't trust any of them.

Good luck!

Joking aside my (current) plan is to run with the 3 hour pacers targeting 2.58....but now I'm worried..are the pacers REALLY that unreliable ...anyone have any experiences good or bad ?...I was hoping Germanic efficiency would keep me on the straight and narrow :(
    thanks (and good luck to everyone running)
    Lex

Lex Luther wrote: »
    Joking aside my (current) plan is to run with the 3 hour pacers targeting 2.58....but now I'm worried..are the pacers REALLY that unreliable ...anyone have any experiences good or bad ?...I was hoping Germanic efficiency would keep me on the straight and narrow :(
    thanks (and good luck to everyone running)
    Lex

I have given my view on the pacers above. For a another view read post #599 on this thread from withcheeseplease for a view from someone who intended running with the 3hr pacers last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I have given my view on the pacers above. For a another view read post #599 on this thread from withcheeseplease for a view from someone who intended running with the 3hr pacers last year.
    Ok read that. Thanks. Will need to reasses.
    Lex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I dont want to anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I have to agree with the comments on the pacers here.

I tried to run with them last year but their constant surging and slowing down really got to me. It wasn't me either as the lads I went over with said exactly the same thing.
    Looking back at my garmin the first 2 miles were at 6:48 then there was a few 6:30 miles with a 6:29 somewhere in the middle.

This year I will stay well clear of them and run with a few lads I know that are heading over.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I set out ahead of the 3 hour pacers last year, so really should have never seen them at all. However, one of them ran by me at the 40k mark sprinting like Usain Bolt. He took around 200m out of me and I was moving at 7:00min/mile pace. 2k later in my video coming through the Brandenburg Gate he's at least 100m behind me. So constant surging and slowing as has been mentioned. Not at all ideal if you're trying to run even consistent splits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Well folks....not long now!

Hope the taper is going well for everybody?

Getting real now. Suffering an acute case of taper madness with phantom niggles and self doubts the order of the day :roll eyes:

said jordan to peter andre!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Sure go on then, a weather forecast to dream of!
    9 deg, cloudy, 1m/s breeze and no rain.:D
    If we get anything close to that then I'd be a happy camper!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

Really looking forward to this. Woke up this morning with a sniffle and now I've fully diagnosed myself with ebola

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

sideswipe wrote: »
    Suffering an acute case of taper madness with phantom niggles and self doubts the order of the day :roll eyes:

All part of the fun isn't it! I haven't any niggles as such but a worrying amount of sneezing over the weekend. Plenty of doubts creeping in too. You just know this week is going to to draaaaaaag... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lila

belcarra wrote: »
    Sure go on then, a weather forecast to dream of!
    9 deg, cloudy, 1m/s breeze and no rain.:D
    If we get anything close to that then I'd be a happy camper!:cool:

Ditto. I'd be prepared to pay a small fortune to guarantee sub 10 celsius. Not sure we'll get that lucky but it would be fabulous. Only holiday where I'll be praying for cool and overcast :rolleyes:

Advertisement