Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

41st Berlin Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

quinlivan wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this. Woke up this morning with a sniffle and now I've fully diagnosed myself with ebola

Got my sniffles out of the way - woke up last Thursday with cough, sore throat, achy limbs, high temp. Two days of Benylin 4Flu and four days of no running - enforced taper, whether I like it or not! Got out today for 8km, with 6 at pmp, felt ok. It's getting very close now....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

..sniffles, a mysterious calf ache, new and unheralded weird knee pain, general sluggishness and depression I have them all...confidence dropping like a lead balloon...you'd really think by now I'd have got used to the symptoms of taper madness, but its the flippen same every single time : ) ...good luck to everyone, Sunday can't come soon enough.
    Lex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Why didnt I run more........

I have the taper shakes

Anyone suggest somewhere to go to watch the Romania match after?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭limerickleader

Probably the Oscar Wilde for our gang. It's close to the hotel so that we can walk slowy across to. Early kick off 5.45 German Time. Will be there around 5 to get a seat. Sod standing after 26.2 miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Why didnt I run more........

I have the taper shakes

Anyone suggest somewhere to go to watch the Romania match after?

We used the Oscar Wilde last year to watch the Ryder Cup and as meeting place but it is a real kip with some of the rudiest staff I have come across. We ended up relocating to another "Irish" Bar down by the river later in the evening after race. Nothing Irish about this bar other than the Shamrock outside and I think it was called Murphy's. It was well located and good craic. I'd say if you google it they will have the match on. I am sure Belcarra has it already sussed.

Nice Italian across the road from Oscar Wilde in which we ate pre and post race dinners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

FBOT01 wrote: »
    We used the Oscar Wilde last year to watch the Ryder Cup and as meeting place but it is a real kip with some of the rudiest staff I have come across. We ended up relocating to another "Irish" Bar down by the river later in the evening after race. Nothing Irish about this bar other than the Shamrock outside and I think it was called Murphy's. It was well located and good craic. I'd say if you google it they will have the match on. I am sure Belcarra has it already sussed.

Nice Italian across the road from Oscar Wilde in which we ate pre and post race dinners.

Yeah, have to agree with FBOT01 on this, even though there was sport on TV I really resented being in the Oscar Wilde!
    The Murphy's pub at the river is definitely anything but Irish too!
    I've heard the Kilkenny is supposed to be good but I have never been there myself.
    There's also an Irish pub called the Irish Times very near my hotel so if we get lazy that could be our spot...Although now that I've looked at it properly and discovered it's a sister pub of the OW might force me to a different pub...

We'll probably just revert back to a good German pub for some tasty weissbiers once the rugby is over.

Cheers for feedback on Oscar Wilde, was in there years ago for a Liverpool United game. So long as it serves its purpose for the duration of the game and then we are planning to head on to a beerhall. Slowly.

Cheers for feedback on Oscar Wilde, was in there years ago for a Liverpool United game. So long as it serves its purpose for the duration of the game and then we are planning to head on to a beerhall. Slowly.

Feel free to post up here any good beerhalls!
    Much of the action in Berlin is around the edges and little enough in the city centre so it would be good to know of a few options besides the irish bars.:)

Well, the gigantic Hofbrauhaus stands in close proximity to Oscar Wilde, in Alexanderplatz. It's a sister to the original in Munich so not very Berlin. We might go there for a stein or two, and then depending on energy levels, head across to Oranienstrasse where there is usually a lot more life, even of a Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Good luck to all the Irish taking part. Ile be cheering ye on from the sidelines. If ye need any advice on where to get grub or beer send me a PM. Ive been living here for 6 years. Not fit enough for the Marathon but im signed up for the Asics 10km on 11th october. Cant wait. ! Have funn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭seanin4711

FBOT01 wrote: »

i am sure there are plenty of pubs in Berlin besides Irish ones you homesick puppies,where your going to get charged twice the going rate for everything in order that you get a shamrock on the top of your Guinness, begorra!!!

belcarra wrote: »
    Sure go on then, a weather forecast to dream of!
    9 deg, cloudy, 1m/s breeze and no rain.:D
    If we get anything close to that then I'd be a happy camper!:cool:

Sxne42.png

http://www.yr.no/place/Germany/Berlin/Berlin/long.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

seanin4711 wrote: »
    i am sure there are plenty of pubs in Berlin besides Irish ones you homesick puppies,where your going to get charged twice the going rate for everything in order that you get a shamrock on the top of your Guinness, begorra!!!

Haha, well if you can point us in the direction of a German bar that will kindly show the Ireland v Romania rugby match, we're all ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck to everyone taking part, it's a great event & a fantastic city to boot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Hi all, and good luck to everyone on Sunday. Is it an 8am start Irish time? Also, have youse got a list of competitors & numbers anywhere on this thread? I've downloaded the app to track a couple of guys, but I'd keep an eye on boardsies if I knew who was going to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck to all running this fantastic event. You'll never forget it, so do your best to enjoy it.
    davedanon wrote: »
    Is it an 8am start Irish time?

7:45am Irish time last year. Assume its the same again?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Good luck to all running this fantastic event. You'll never forget it, so do your best to enjoy it.

7:45am Irish time last year. Assume its the same again?

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/race-day/start.html
    Runners start at 9am German time / 8am Irish time.
    Three waves (with approx 10mins between waves IIRC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

belcarra wrote: »
    http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/race-day/start.html
    Runners start at 9am German time / 8am Irish time.
    Three waves (with approx 10mins between waves IIRC).

Best of luck J.

From The Herald:
    With the standards of 2:42 for women and 2:17 for men not too outrageous, Berlin is the first skirmish in the battle to nail down one of the three men and three women’s places on offer.
    Annadale’s Pollock ran a 62 minute 10 second half marathon in March last year, but then had to pull out of the marathon at the European Championships in Zurich a few months later.
    He showed that he had recovered when he won the National Inter-county Cross-Country Championships in December and has managed to put together a good block of training since then.
    He won the national half marathon in 65 minutes nine secs, not a bad time for the Phoenix Park.

A close second was Raheny’s Mick Clohisey who ran 65 mins 20 secs, with Kevin Seaward of St Malachy’s third in 65 mins 52 and Leevale’s Mark Hanrahan fourth in 66 mins three secs.
    All four men line out in Berlin, along with Thomas Fitzpatrick of Tallaght who was fifth, Galway’s Gary Thornton sixth, former Dublin Marathon winner Sean Hehir of Rathfarnham WSAF and Raheny’s Mark Kirwan.
    personal

Joining them is Clonliffe’s Sergiu Ciobanu, who ran his personal best of 2:15.27 in the 2012 Rotterdam Marathon. That makes him second fastest overall behind Pollock of the Irish entry.
    In the past few weeks, Ciobanu has won the SSE Airtricity Frank Duffy 10-mile in 49 mins 15 secs and the Athlone Half Marathon in an untroubled 66 mins 10 secs.
    With John Treacy’s Irish record of 2:09.15 now 27 years old, the fastest Irish run in recent years has come from Clonliffe’s Mark Kenneally who clocked a time of 2:13.55 at the 2011 Amsterdam Marathon. Kenneally went on to represent Ireland at the London Olympics, and was looking sharp this summer until forced to pull up in the Frank Duffy ‘10’.

Fionnuala (Britton) McCormack’s time of 71 mins 33 secs at Lille a fortnight ago puts her firmly on top of the current women’s half marathon listings, but she’s bypassing Berlin in favour of Chicago on October 11.
    Lizzie Lee has been improving her personal best times since the birth of her daughter last year and she hopes to go faster than her 2 hours 38 minutes of two years ago in Berlin.

Maria McCambridge of DSD is another athlete who will bypass Berlin. She’s signed up for the Frankfurt Marathon on Sunday October 25 – the day before the Dublin Marathon where she so narrowly missed out on victory last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ooooh nerves getting very bad now. Bought myself a Dublin sleeveless top this morning (boy's age 13-14 :D) and just tried it out, no chafing phew. We're on the 7 a.m. flight on Friday morning, it'll be great fun dragging the kids out of bed at 4:30 :rolleyes: My number is F5372 if anyone wants to keep an eye on my slog to the top of my sub4 mountain. It's getting very close now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Just a little appitiser- Berlin Course Preview

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

question for yea is water in cups or bottle
    debating if i should bring a bottle my self
    and good luck to all running on Sunday !!!

M23288
    sub 4 hr the plan!
    should be interesting!
    best of luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

question for yea is water in cups or bottle
    debating if i should bring a bottle my self
    and good luck to all running on Sunday !!!

Yep it's in cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Did this last year, great city Berlin - one of my favourites.

Best of luck to all running this. Look forward to reading a few reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Two quick questions, if anyone can advise:

Taking Gels in hand luggage at airport. They are Isogels and I have 6 to take (to be on safe side). Will I be able to take these through security at airport ok. I believe they are under standard allowed size at 60mls. Should I just put these in the clear bag with the toiletries.

I didn't see HI-Five as one of the exhibitors at the expo so unsure if they Hi five gels would be onsale there with Power Bar such a big sponsor.

From SXF airport to the expo, have noted a route to get by train/tram that doesn't take long and is one change. Is this the route to go or am I missing something more direct?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

The gels will be ok at the airport. Beware if you are bringing a big tub of Vaseline though. I got stopped and was asked "This is for Medicinal purposes isn't it?" with a nod and a wink, but she still had to scan it for explosives. Your airport security might not be as sound thou. So either buy some over there or bring one of the small lip type cans.

Also last year we flew with Aer Lingus,they had overbooked the flight and we were offered to re-route. It suited us because it was only me and the wife, and it would of got us in to Berlin only an hour or two later than the original flight, but they were willing to offer us a handsome sum of money. Enough that it would of more than paid for the Weekend! But they didn't choose us in the end :( But its something to think about.

is it just drinks or is it bars and gels from title sponsor?
    thanks
    John

dont think just drinks will get me through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

We spotted some hi five gels at the expo last year (out on the tarmac where there were some more stands) but I would not leave this to chance if you depend on them.

Best of luck, all.

Advertisement