Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't sign in to live

Options
  • 30-09-2013 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I don't really use the xbox that much but last night I went to put netflix on to it and for some reason I'm not able to log in. When I tried to change the password it says that it has sent a link to an email address that I can't access. The email address is ********@hotmail.hu
    The security question is no help either as it comes up in a language I don't understand and the same with the questionnaire that I've been trying to fill out for them to verify my account. I think the language is maybe Finnish or Norwegian. I suppose whatever country the .hu relates to in the email address.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

weiland79 wrote: »
    Hi all

I don't really use the xbox that much but last night I went to put netflix on to it and for some reason I'm not able to log in. When I tried to change the password it says that it has sent a link to an email address that I can't access. The email address is ********@hotmail.hu
    The security question is no help either as it comes up in a language I don't understand and the same with the questionnaire that I've been trying to fill out for them to verify my account. I think the language is maybe Finnish or Norwegian. I suppose whatever country the .hu relates to in the email address.

Any help appreciated

If you can't access the email you used to set up your live account, I'd suggest you will have to get in touch with xbox.com for assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Yeah I'm going to have another look at Xbox.com now. The problem last night as I said is that the questionnaire was in this other language seemingly linked to this hotmail.hu account. I filled it out as best I could but got an automated reply saying the info I had given was insufficient

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

weiland79 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm going to have another look at Xbox.com now. The problem last night as I said is that the questionnaire was in this other language seemingly linked to this hotmail.hu account. I filled it out as best I could but got an automated reply saying the info I had given was insufficient

.hu is the TLD for Hungary. To be honest from your description it sounds like your account has been hacked/stolen, and the email address has been changed from your own to one under the control of the thief. Only way to resolve this is to contact MS (quite possibly by phone rather than mail) and report it. The account may be rendered completely inaccessible for a while as they investigate, but typically MS seem to be quite good at sorting this stuff, from what I have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dubaicentral

You have two options here. Both involve calling support. You can call support and ask them to escalate a password reset based on the fact that you have given insufficient info on the questionnaire and they will take a reference number off the email that you got from microsoft and some info from the console and send it to america to be looked at manually and within a week they will send you a password reset link and you will have control of your account or if you think that you have funds or cards on your account that may have been compromised as a result of somebody accessing your account they can set up an investigation for a unauthorized access. The trouble with your second option is it takes about 3 weeks for an investigation and you will be locked of the account for that time (as will whoever is accessing your account).

Both are viable options however like I said if you think you a being financially scammed ask for an unauthorized access escalation, but a simple password reset escalation will get you back into the account if that is all you want.

(also just to add i think the .hu email might just be a simple case of you entering the wrong details when you added a secondary email address, just a thought tho, cython could well be correct about a thief)

Advertisement