Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To hell or to Connacht

Options
  • 30-09-2013 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/1419-new-triathlon-event-to-be-worth-7m-to-galway-city

Challenge half mooted for Galway?

What say the boardsie's - run away success or yet another flop?

Is the draw of the West over stated by its inhabitants?
    Or is it that picturesque and quaint?

Alot will come down to the quality of the organisers which were lacking a little in previous ventures - and the timing. And whether there is actual genuine local support with a view to a long term event (i.e. not gouging in year one and having no event in year three). Road closures, crowds and a reasonable time of year all required. Not convinced that the locals will give "sure this is the west, they should be glad to come". A well supported race at a reasonable time of year would be a draw however.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

tunney wrote: »

Is the draw of the West over stated by its inhabitants?
    Or is it that picturesque and quaint?.

1. yes it probably is.
    2. its no more picturesque than any other part of ireland

having said that i think galway is quite a good location for it, its within 2 hours of a lot of the country, and its a place that a lot of people like to go socially for a weekend away ,
    if i was going to do it a part of the attraction would be the craic and staying the night after it..

as you say itd be nice to see it done right, not overpriced and well organised...
    cant see road closures happening but itd be great if they were..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

They say in the article for late next year. If this is the case I'd say it will go the way of the half ironman. The timing for this is what will make it I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

To early to say how it will pan out.

I agree with you re the road closures & issues re the swim temp.

BUT
    • Irish weather is unpredictable at the best of times anyway.
    • I joke about the 'West is Best' but in terms of tourism it is that Ireland of 'The Quiet Man' that appeals more than 'Love/Hate'
    • Irish athlete support in year 1 IMGalway was good; the organisers got it wrong
    • International support was good in year 2 IMGalway and the weather meant the local support was very good (both points made from my viewpoint as a participant)
    • the Year 2 course was much better; the capacity to learn is there.
    • re Galway City as location, I think the 'mass' opposition will be better coordinated and will form a problem for a new event organiser. I advocated that there should have been someone stepping into the breach for this September, the IMGalway gang should have gone unbranded or local branded to keep the routes established.
    • apart from AKW you will be surprised at how much the previous events were supported locally. We are still a bit of a curiousity as triathletes, majority of people think we're all soft in the head.
    • re gouging, I can't comment, thats an inherently 'supply and demand' thing regardless of location in Ireland? Maybe more coordination in the Hoteliers / Vintners associations will help.
    I'm all for it, it's good for our sport to see big events interested in our country and athletes. It's up to us to make the most of it that we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

To early to say how it will pan out.

I agree with you re the road closures & issues re the swim temp.

BUT
    • Irish weather is unpredictable at the best of times anyway.
      DT: yeah but there is 70/30 chance of wind and rain and then ther eis 30/70
    • I joke about the 'West is Best' but in terms of tourism it is that Ireland of 'The Quiet Man' that appeals more than 'Love/Hate'
      DT: I had to Google Quiet man, everyone knows Love/Hate. Says it allr eally
    • Irish athlete support in year 1 IMGalway was good; the organisers got it wrong
      DT: But they should have known better, or perhaps did and still cut corners
    • International support was good in year 2 IMGalway and the weather meant the local support was very good (both points made from my viewpoint as a participant)
      DT: Support comes in two types. Grannies out for DCM at mile 26 giving out oranges, and then there are Councillors helping for road closures.
    • the Year 2 course was much better; the capacity to learn is there.
    • re Galway City as location, I think the 'mass' opposition will be better coordinated and will form a problem for a new event organiser. I advocated that there should have been someone stepping into the breach for this September, the IMGalway gang should have gone unbranded or local branded to keep the routes established.
      DT: Its not football or hurling - it won't get support despite the factor that the best doctors in GAA come from endurance sports
    • apart from AKW you will be surprised at how much the previous events were supported locally. We are still a bit of a curiousity as triathletes, majority of people think we're all soft in the head.
      DT: Again support versus SUPPORT. The first makes an atmosphere, the second enables an event
    • re gouging, I can't comment, thats an inherently 'supply and demand' thing regardless of location in Ireland? Maybe more coordination in the Hoteliers / Vintners associations will help.
      DT: And how did the gouging work out? "Race in Ireland? jesus no, the PRICE of accomodation and then you see the week before/after" Check the other forums, indeed search this one for people travelling from far from Galways
    I'm all for it, it's good for our sport to see big events interested in our country and athletes. It's up to us to make the most of it that we can.

I think depends on a few things : getting road closures and the other things a quality event requires at a reasonable cost from the local government, police costs not being the extortionate recent rates, a good time of year and a good race organiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Not hugely interested in another 1/2 there are plenty of good ones already in this country - I had hoped it was going to be for a full distance race when I heard the rumour :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Weather would be the deciding factor for me.I can deal with a soft day as long as its warm. Would only be interested if it fell within the time frame June20th-August 20th

I think depends on a few things : getting road closures and the other things a quality event requires at a reasonable cost from the local government, police costs not being the extortionate recent rates, a good time of year and a good race organiser.

To be fair I agree with all that you have said.

As someone who took part in both of the events I can tell you the two definitions of support were both active. Year 1 there were plenty of people out on the streets creating atmosphere, there were more in Year 2. There was also plenty of enabling support.

Things were done wrong, mistakes made in Year 1. They learned from and improved these in Year 2 and the weather made a great Year 2. Unfortunately the gouging by IM Inc meant that there was no opportunity for Year 3 and any kind of balance to be found.

We will never know how it could have turned out. Good or bad.

As for having to google 'The Quiet Man' :eek: (am I that old?)

I suppose you never heard of 'Darby O'Gill & the Little People' either? :cool:

To be fair I agree with all that you have said.

Good, makes things easier in the long term
    Things were done wrong, mistakes made in Year 1. They learned from and improved these in Year 2 and the weather made a great Year 2. Unfortunately the gouging by IM Inc meant that there was no opportunity for Year 3 and any kind of balance to be found.

Not quite what I heard but not for on boards......
    I suppose you never heard of 'Darby O'Gill & the Little People' either? :cool:

Heard of that alright, I've met Fran's family.

catweazle wrote: »
    Not hugely interested in another 1/2 there are plenty of good ones already in this country - I had hoped it was going to be for a full distance race when I heard the rumour :(

No point hoping for it unless you're planning on doing it this time :p

Good, makes things easier in the long term

I should stress, that it's not ALL of everything I agree with, just your points above ^^

Has to be room for me to be right some of the time. ;)

There was still some issues in Year 2 but thankfully nothing critical. (Superfats meal afterwards :mad: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

What can another half bring to the table that is not already in an Irish race? There are an abundance of HIM's in the country now with good reputations - Humbert, Lost Sheep, Tri and Mhi, Shadowman. I really don't see the need for another one, especially one based in a city with all the issues that city races bring.

Obviously the brand will attract some racers, but not as many as the Ironman brand did, and it may encourage racers from abroad to come in but Galway has no more pull to most Irish racers I'd say than Kenmare or Mayo does.

But then again some gombeen Finanna Fail city councilor says that he has gone through the 'exact details' of the race with the organisers and he can 'confirm that they have done an enormous amount of research' so there you are - it can't fail :rolleyes:

Some water being thrown on the Challenge Family idea:

I asked my source who is close to the Challenge Family race series for more:
    It seems the rumour mill is working overtime! I’m afraid Challenge has nothing to announce regarding Galway – sorry!
    Keep an eye on this one, the return of a major series to Ireland would be very welcome there and would be an important addition to the elite triathlon calendar in this country.

From - Beyond Going Long

Some water being thrown on the Challenge Family idea:

From - Beyond Going Long

REV3?

Or maybe the crowd than ran Skerries?

Advertisement