Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Gardiner street Lower

Options
  • 30-09-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,

I am thinking in buying an apartment in Gardiner Street Lower in Custom Hall complex.

What is your opinion about the area ?

How bad is really ? Bad things are corner cases or daily stuff ?

Anyone has any direct or indirect experience about living there ?

I know is not the best place in the city, and I know I will see some random people but is what we can afford and is very handy for shops luas, train job etc... Also as far as they go for themselves I am fine, the problem if they start messing with me or my girlfriend...

We have plans to stay at least for 6-8 years so I would appreciate any feedback guys.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

spanishboy wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am thinking in buying an apartment in Gardiner Street Lower in Custom Hall complex.

Be carefull about buying an apartment anywhere just at the moment.

For many years they've been heavily over-valued and have turned into completely unsaleable entities...most of the apartments for sale at the moment are still expensive as people seek to recoup thier "investment" from the property.

Bear in mind also that apartments do not belong to the buyer and are leasehold interests instead of freehold,have expensive management companies and are not,generally suitable for bringing up children in.

The area you mention isn't actually too bad as it happens but be aware there will be some less than savoury charcters in the area that will always be there..quite a bit of trouble occurs on these streets,especially at night and if you're not Irish it could be an agravating factor too.

My advice,if you're buying would be to look for a 2-3 bedroom house in a suburban but established area and thoroughly investigate before you commit...ie drive by at night-time,google to see if there are ongoing probems with crime etc etc and try to get a feel for where it is you want to live.

Good luck and happy hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 spanishboy

What do you consider "most of the apartments for sale at the moment are still expensive" for lets say 2 bed apt ?

In what sense are not ok for having for example one child there ? Space ? Schools etc ?

How the leasehold interests vs freehold affects to me now and in the future ? ALso are you sure that is the case ?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'd rent around there for a while before I bought an apartment to see if it suited. I lived close to Gardiner Street for a couple of years and it was central and really handy and at first we loved it but spending too much time around Talbot Street, Marlborough Street & O'Connell Street wore us down (junkies). It can also be very loud, constantly and right through the night, because of all the B&Bs and hotels along Gardiner Street. I know people who live around there who love it but it wouldn't be for me long term and I wouldn't have wanted to realise that after I had bought an apartment there

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JordanG990

Gardiner Street is like most of the other places around the city with the exception of a few. It's a grand place, close to a lot of amenities and generally the people are nice.

I have a family member who moved from Basin Street to Gardiner Street about 2 years ago with her two young sons and she's said that it's holiday compared to where she was.

You have the odd bit of trouble but sure there's not many places where you don't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I lived in basin street around 10 years ago and I saw numerous shootings, raids, fights. Gardiner street would seem like foxrock in comparison !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 JordanG990

Yep, living there myself at the moment and not much has changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

There was a pretty nasty attack on Gardiner Street last night.It was on the Independent website although it was on the upper part of the street at the junction with Parnell Street.Apparently the lower half of the street isn't as bad as the upper half.

Advertisement