Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband in Charlesland

Options
  • 30-09-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Following UPC's latest price hike, I'm now looking at other options. Sky tell me they're achieving speeds of (max) 6mbps in Charlesland. To a layman like myself this means little, so in summary - are they better/worse than UPC?

I watch a lot of netflix so speed is important.

Any assistance appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Following UPC's latest price hike, I'm now looking at other options. Sky tell me they're achieving speeds of (max) 6mbps in Charlesland. To a layman like myself this means little, so in summary - are they better/worse than UPC?

I watch a lot of netflix so speed is important.

Any assistance appreciated....

Sky with their 6Mb are lagging way behind UPC even on a reasonably busy day. UPC are delivering "up to" 30Mb in Charlesland but in reality you'd be getting 15-20 on average (based on my own connection)

UPC is also uncapped, ie you can download as much as you want without paying extra or your speeds being affected.

As Sky piggyback on the likes of Eircom, you could always hope for an improvement once the eFibre comes into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

JanneG wrote: »
    As Sky piggyback on the likes of Eircom, you could always hope for an improvement once the eFibre comes into effect.

Any timeline on that? Halving (at best) my current speed doesn't seem like a viable option at the moment given the amount of stuff I watch online. I wonder is 6mb even enough to watch a show without freezing/stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Any timeline on that? Halving (at best) my current speed doesn't seem like a viable option at the moment given the amount of stuff I watch online. I wonder is 6mb even enough to watch a show without freezing/stopping.

No idea... I'd say you'd be looking at a loy of buffering or at least having to avoid any HD material...

Advertisement