Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought new PS3 today....

Options
  • 30-09-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Thats it, my old one was on the senile list and with BF4 out tomorrow I couldnt go without... also a good hand me down to my son on Nov 29th!

Anyway, the question:

1. I have BF3 and BF3 premium so what happens on the new PS3... presume I just need to login under my user name to get premium and reload the BF3 disk for the game?

2. What else do I need to do when I start up again, how long will it take to connect my earphones, connect to wifi etc? Is it an ordeal?

Question re digital purchases:-

3. Finally I am thinking of going digital with new game purchases... if I do and the PS3 dies do I lose the game or is lost?

4. For BF4, this is out on 31st October; is going digital the best way to ensure you have it on the day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

mozattack wrote: »
    Thats it, my old one was on the senile list and with BF4 out tomorrow I couldnt go without... also a good hand me down to my son on Nov 29th!

Anyway, the question:

1. I have BF3 and BF3 premium so what happens on the new PS3... presume I just need to login under my user name to get premium and reload the BF3 disk for the game?

2. What else do I need to do when I start up again, how long will it take to connect my earphones, connect to wifi etc? Is it an ordeal?

Question re digital purchases:-

3. Finally I am thinking of going digital with new game purchases... if I do and the PS3 dies do I lose the game or is lost?

4. For BF4, this is out on 31st October; is going digital the best way to ensure you have it on the day?

1= Sign into your account. All details are saved there. Including your BF3 premium status and ranks. BF4 Beta will be available to download from the in game store. The same way you got access to the premium maps.

2= Wi-fi takes 2 mins to set up. Go to settings-Network settings- Set up a new connection and input all relevant details.

3= No. If you buy digitally, all games are stored permanently in your accounts download lists, retrievable any time on up to 2 different PS3's.

4= Digital will guarantee a Day 1 purchase. If you pre-order from the store the game will download before-hand so you can play it at Midnight on the 31st. Same as physical only there is no re-trade value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Klair88 wrote: »
    1= Sign into your account. All details are saved there. Including your BF3 premium status and ranks. BF4 Beta will be available to download from the in game store. The same way you got access to the premium maps.

2= Wi-fi takes 2 mins to set up. Go to settings-Network settings- Set up a new connection and input all relevant details.

3= No. If you buy digitally, all games are stored permanently in your accounts download lists, retrievable any time on up to 2 different PS3's.

4= Digital will guarantee a Day 1 purchase. If you pre-order from the store the game will download before-hand so you can play it at Midnight on the 31st. Same as physical only there is no re-trade value.

Very helpful, many thanks.

Can I just ask, do digital copies run smoother? I hear they do but could be just kak.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Can I just ask, do digital copies run smoother? I hear they do but could be just kak.

Not that I've noticed but not been looking.
    Only thing for me is my speed is so low it could take up to a week for me to download a very large game - so factor in your speed to into getting it day one.

Oh and if you don't already have it get PS + immediately...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I've downloaded a few games from PSN digitally and they all work fine. There were some articles last week saying digital copies of GTA5 were noticeably worse than the disc version.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

I'm not exactly sure. I should know this but i cant recall. All data is stored on a HDD compared to the Disc. I know what speed a 5200RPM HDD reads at but i'm unsure of the speed Blu-ray disc read at so i couldnt give an honest answer.

One thing you may want to be aware of is that, I assume by your 29th statement you'll be buying a PS4, If you're getting BF4 for the PS3 AND want it for PS4 then you can get it for €15 Discount if you buy the PS3 version first from the store. Then you pay the amount and get the PS4 version for cheaper!

Same offer applies to Physical but , yet again, I am unsure of that side so i Couldnt give an answer.

I plan on going Full Digital if i can for PS4, but only if they drop the price. a €59.99 physical Game should not cost €59.99 digitally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Considering you've 2 PS3s now buying digital makes a lot more sense as you'll be able to install and play any digital games without restriction on both after buying it once, works online even with different accounts on the systems.

As far a PS4 and the upgrade goes it's €9.99 not €15 (gamestop trade-in offer), if you buy the physical disc you'll have to put the PS3 disc in the PS4 and then download the PS4 version with the PS3 disc needing to be in to play at all times whereas the PSN version of BF4 will just run on both as if bought normally.

Some games does run worse from PSN, GTA V is an example and while I've the PSN version and had no issues some have. It tends to be games that have a mandatory install and need to run off both the HDD and disc normally and for PSN versions you've only got half that as it all runs from the HDD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I would have thought HDD games would run smoother.

If anything there'll be no noise from the disk spinning up. There's some serious noise from GTA V disk spinning and stopping constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭pah

is the majority of the data not installed to the hdd anyway?

Advertisement