Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helping Garden over Winter?

• 30-09-2013 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭

House was built two years ago and we've been finishing off various parts inside. Now I'm hoping to get started on the outside.

Basically, the garden is there and that's about it. It was planted two years ago and the only care it has received is cutting when needed. Next year, now that the inside of the house is pretty much complete, I want to start work on the garden though.

I'm wondering can I do anything to help it over the Winter now so that its ready for me to start work on next year? Like should I be putting a bit of fertilizer down now or anything?

At the minute it often gets very wet and rushes start to grow on it if its left to grow long enough.

A friend told me I should use a broadleaf spray on it to get rid of those so should I just leave it without fertilizer and spray it early next year and start then?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Are you planning on starting a vegetable garden?

If so; it is best to prepare the soil this autumn:
    choose an area, fence it off and dig over the soil
    Add about 4 inches of well rotted farm yard manure over the soil and work it in.

You would need at least 1 ft of good top soil to grow vegetables and if your soil is holding water then be sure to dig it over well.

If you have Marl or lac in your soil, then you might want to create rasied beds or raise the level of your vegetable garden with additional topsoil.

By preparing your soil now it will be ready for sowing next spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Are you planning on starting a vegetable garden?

If so; it is best to prepare the soil this autumn:
    choose an area, fence it off and dig over the soil
    Add about 4 inches of well rotted farm yard manure over the soil and work it in.

You would need at least 1 ft of good top soil to grow vegetables and if your soil is holding water then be sure to dig it over well.

If you have Marl or lac in your soil, then you might want to create rasied beds or raise the level of your vegetable garden with additional topsoil.

By preparing your soil now it will be ready for sowing next spring.

Nope, no plans at all for a vegetable garden. Just want to get the garden itself looking as well as possible.

Advertisement