Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your job/work status?

• 30-09-2013 1:48pm

There's a lot of hate about the unemployed on ah. Yet the forum seems busiest during normal business hours. Just wondering if posters are working? studying? on the dole? on the doss? what you're doing? do you post on the job?

Unemployed here. 3 job applications yesterday but only 1 today. 1 unsuccessful job interview last week. Entry level position I had good experience in. I've done worse interviews in the past where I got the job.

We're not all smoking hash on the back of the bus.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

There's a lot of hate about the unemployed on ah. Yet the forum seems busiest during normal business hours. Just wondering if posters are working? studying? on the dole? on the doss? what you're doing? do you post on the job?

Unemployed here. 3 job applications yesterday but only 1 today. 1 unsuccessful job interview last week. Entry level position I had good experience in. I've done worse interviews in the past where I got the job.

Username would suggest otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I swear Boss Im Flat out..Look at the sweat on my Brow

Ive only one gear and thats flat out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Technically unemployed but working pro bono.

Not on the dole, and I do get the odd payment if I'm short on cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Seachmall wrote: »
    Technically unemployed but working pro bono.

Not on the dole, and I do get the odd payment if I'm short on cash.

I hope you are declaring this... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Hate for the unemployed? Where are you reading this?
    I see a lot of sympathy towards them. Not talking about the people who never worked of course, maybe getting it mixxed up with posters giving out about total scumbags

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Tend to post while its quiet in work on my phone...we get long periods of it being quiet at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Specialun wrote: »
    I hope you are declaring this... :)

Only to the barman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Working full time and part of my job is to monitor social media and internet sites.

Unemployed people have a hard time, it's not easy getting rejected from loads of jobs, or as is usually the case, getting ignored by companies when you apply for a job.

I went for a quite a few interviews when I was unemployed and heard I once heard nothing back from the company I applied for, I found this very unprofessional. Someone goes to the effort of finding out information on your company, travelling to your office and being courteous to you and you can't even make a phone call to let them know your decision.

I let them know this when I called them to find out what was happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Studying.

Procrastinating

And working part-time in a job that neither involves chugging nor nightclub promotion, woop :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

worker and postgrad student.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

cloneslad wrote: »
    Working full time and part of my job is to monitor social media and internet sites

Pervert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

hansfrei wrote: »
    Pervert

Only if I get caught, otherwise I'm just another casual voyeur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Full time student. Part time consultant. Occasional pervert. Boards is what I do to let my hair down. I am from a conservative culture where people don't do silly. But on boards I can be as silly as I need to be - a welcome respite from the constant pressure of being an upstanding citizen. It's sort of like taking your bra off when you get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

In fulltime employment in Canada but leaving in 4 weeks to move back to Ireland.

retalivity wrote: »
    In fulltime employment in Canada but leaving in 4 weeks to move back to Ireland.

:eek: Have you not heard? The planes are taking people out but they won't bring them back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm in college part time and work part time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Role: Office sex symbol

Performance: Poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm a professional internet funnyman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    :eek: Have you not heard? The planes are taking people out but they won't bring them back in.

exactly, im returning to lead a coup, the country is ripe for picking!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭meemeemee

A digression, but what are you monitoring for ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Thinly veiled "Can somebody please give me a job!" thread.

My status: Employed, but flexible hours. I have 3 breaks per day as well during which I quickly browse threads here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Employed full time, in college part time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

Currently on disability until my health issues get sorted out and once they are I'm heading back to school (College then University...something in the health care field) at the ripe old age of 50-something....and then once that is complete, I'm moving to Ireland.

I'm looking forward to it too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You have heard of shift work haven't you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Good wage?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I build bridges and suck wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

I'd ask for your college fees back if I was you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭heretochat

In full time employment thankfully... Though some days I have my doubts :o

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

technically unemployed but have recently been getting a few days a week back at my old job, split shifts though so have a browse of boards between 2 & 4.30!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

That's debatable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Full time employment, great place and lots of perks.

Far too much freedom, I go through extensive bouts of working hard and then extensive bouts of lazy days.

There is alot of bureaucracy, it has gotten to me enough that I've lost that killer instinct. However, it's nice to be so comfortable that it doesn't really matter if I do alot, or just enough.

I used to take work very very seriously, as I've grown, I've learn it's not that important when the chips are on the table. The pay and benefits take care of my loved ones, That is all i require.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

"Busy looking busy" pretty much sums it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

There's no hate for the unemployed OP, there's understandable frustration at the numbers of people who refuse to do anything to justify their existence because they believe they are entitled to everything by virtue of the fact that they contribute nothing to society.

To answer the question anyway - Self-employed and voluntary work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Full time student. Worked part time as a barman the last 5 or so years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Unhappily employed. Really should have jumped ship here a few years back - I think i'm institutionalised now!
    Those years don't be too slow sneaking up on you, you know.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Food stamp hipster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Self employed, so currently dossing around in comfy clothes and slippers on a Monday. Love it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Working currently on a temporary part time contract until mid January, all fingers and toes crossed that i get kept on.

Working currently on a temporary part time contract until mid January, all fingers and toes crossed that i get kept on.

I'll cross mine for you too :).

On reflection I sounded really bitter there but I was still interested in the answer to the question so all things considered this was a great thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

final year student, part-time sports gambler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

I'm a mature student in my final year. So by next May I'll have a different answer. Hopefully it'll be 'employed'. Though it is an Arts degree so I don't have much hope! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

Full time student, starting a new part time job tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Working full time but on shifts so can post any time day or night 24/7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Self-employed, but currently on contract in an *shudder* office. It's like being a drone only worse...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Fulltime student, part time volunteer, will also be working part time soon too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

KilOit wrote: »
    Hate for the unemployed? Where are you reading this?
    on After Hours

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Self Employed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Czarcasm wrote: »
    There's no hate for the unemployed OP

Absolute codswallop - this forum is full of venom towards people on the dole

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Work full time (shift work) and study part time so when am nt in work am at the computer a fair bit

• Advertisement
Advertisement