Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FSA "off topic" thread - No discussion relating to FSA or Soccer - please read post 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

wonski wrote: »
    Given the size of the community it wouldn't be a bad idea to create a charity league eg €1-€5 with money going to the charity.

What sorta thing had you in mind?

There are a lot of leagues on the forum already. Maybe when we start running the Champions League/Europa format cups we could have a voluntary donation by entrants which we could donate to a suggested charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

FHFC wrote: »

There are a lot of leagues on the forum already. Maybe when we start running the Champions League/Europa format cups we could have a voluntary donation by entrants which we could donate to a suggested charity?

Great idea! Bernardos or Temple St would be nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Sounds like a plan.

Just realized we shouldn't discuss it here but I hope mods will forgive us on this occasion.

We could make a poll to choose from few charities to make everyone decide.

Let's think about this and make a new thread later on to see how popular this can be.

Sounds like a plan.

Just realized we shouldn't discuss it here but I hope mods will forgive us on this occasion.

We could make a poll to choose from few charities to make everyone decide.

Let's think about this and make a new thread later on to see how popular this can be.

Just to not I don't organise any of the euro cup tournaments, was only latterly involved in them last year. This suggestion would need to be ok with the people who have set up and run them over the years.

I'll gladly organise a PayPal or some such if it's acceptable.

Just to not I don't organise any of the euro cup tournaments, was only latterly involved in them last year. This suggestion would need to be ok with the people who have set up and run them over the years.

I'll gladly organise a PayPal or some such if it's acceptable.

Lemlin and Finnharpsboy ran the Europa last season IIRC, not sure about the others as i seemed to keep missing the deadlines for signup:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lemlin and Finnharpsboy ran the Europa last season IIRC, not sure about the others as i seemed to keep missing the deadlines for signup:rolleyes:

I ran the Champions Cup with the help of others on here but it's too late to run it with the same format as last year. I had planned to but I managed to stupidly get myself a four week ban just as the CL was starting.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I ran the Champions Cup with the help of others on here but it's too late to run it with the same format as last year. I had planned to but I managed to stupidly get myself a four week ban just as the CL was starting.

Ahhh.. i knew you helped with the running of one of the tournaments! I stand corrected. Not to worry i'm sure there will be others set up over the course of the season that we can see about making charitable!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ahhh.. i knew you helped with the running of one of the tournaments! I stand corrected. Not to worry i'm sure there will be others set up over the course of the season that we can see about making charitable!

What about running an fa cup style one . 64 entrants and we could use the gw before the fa cup games as our scoring weeks.

The missus is in New York for a few days. Any suggestions for anything particularly good available over there that I should ask her to get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

FSA Charity Shield/Cup?

:)

Could have it running side-by-side with the FSA Cup or possibly a little later in the season as a good way of keeping up interest while contributing to a good cause

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear there won't be a Champions League. I wasn't in it last year but it looked good craic.

If we're doing a new Charity Shield sorta thing I'm happy to help out running it.

The missus is in New York for a few days. Any suggestions for anything particularly good available over there that I should ask her to get?

Depends what you're into i guess! Electrical good are extremely good value. Clothes too!

Depends what you're into i guess! Electrical good are extremely good value. Clothes too!

I have given her a list of clothes alright! What electrical goods? Lads on the console forum reckoned there was little or nothing to be saved on those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

For some reason when I read 'electrical goods' I was imagining Mrs. Lemlin coming back with a suitcase full of toasters!

I have given her a list of clothes alright! What electrical goods? Lads on the console forum reckoned there was little or nothing to be saved on those.

I'm not much of a gamer these day so I don't know about consoles but phones/tablets/laptops etc work out quite cheap with the exchange rate and if you go to the right places

I'm not much of a gamer these day so I don't know about consoles but phones/tablets/laptops etc work out quite cheap with the exchange rate and if you go to the right places

Don't really need any of those tbh. Would a phone from the US work on the networks here?

Don't really need any of those tbh. Would a phone from the US work on the networks here?

You would need to buy it sim free or could always just get it unlocked. I got someone to bring me back a Google nexus 4 a couple of years ago before it was released over here and got it for a great price and it worked fine

Sorry to hear there won't be a Champions League. I wasn't in it last year but it looked good craic.

If we're doing a new Charity Shield sorta thing I'm happy to help out running it.

I suppose we could still do the CL and just go with different weeks this year for the first phase.

How would people feel about €10 entry? €5 towards a charity and €5 towards a prize fund.

That'd leave €320 for charity donation and €320 for a prize. We could do:

Winner: €200
    Runner Up: €70
    Third: €30
    Fourth: €20

I suppose we could still do the CL and just go with different weeks this year for the first phase.

How would people feel about €10 entry? €5 towards a charity and €5 towards a prize fund.

I'm in:D

Would you be able to organize it? I remember FHFC already offered to either run part of it or organize the financial part (Paypal etc).

I can help of course, but don't even know where to start:o

• Advertisement

I'm in and will help out in whatever way is needed. Was there a cash prize in it last year? I'd be happy to have no prize and just throw the entry to the charity , but am easy either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

In

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'm in.

Let the winner decide the charity from a list of 5 imo

KevIRL wrote: »
    Let the winner decide the charity from a list of 5 imo

Good idea. Hadn't thought of that. My thought was to donate the charity money straight away and hold the other €320 until the competition was over.

As we seem to be moving towards an organised charity project with a suggestion that the winner selects the charity (which I think is a good idea) this could become a longer term thing.

The original post I put up refers to an urgent appeal from Childline which will have to shut down its service for 5 hours at night if it doesn't raise approx €1.2m. That's what prompted me to try to promote it via any networks I am involved in. If anyone has heard their radio advert it is pretty harrowing but worth listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSeVI6LT6GA

So I'd just like to remind about the original appeal as I think this is a shocking situation and suggest people consider texting Childline to 57911 to give €4.

Don't do it because I said so, but the Rubberbandits said you had to as well, and I wouldn't mess with them bucks....

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152746209282200&id=45998897199

• Advertisement

Watched the film Jobs last night. Ashton Kutcher is a **** actor (not that he cares when he's busy impregnating Mila Kunis) but I found it very intriguing.

I doubt there are many individuals who have had a role in as many massive corporations as Jobs - Apple, Pixar, Disney.

Anyone recommend a good book on him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Count me in

I'm in as well, and think 100% of prize money to charity is the way to go. Title of the CL winner is reward enough (and keeps the undesirables away). I'm also easy either way though.

Maybe take it to a new thread, avoid cluttering this one up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

I'm in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

I don't know how I get anything done in real life. I just uncovered this frightening statistic. And worse, it proves my wife right, that I spend too much time on the internet :(

10e121b5a65ea60b2fc35454837331b6.png

• Advertisement

tom_k wrote: »
    I don't know how I get anything done in real life. I just uncovered this frightening statistic. And worse, it proves my wife right, that I spend too much time on the internet :(

10e121b5a65ea60b2fc35454837331b6.png

I suggest clearing your browsing history, cookies etc from time to time;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

I suggest clearing your browsing history, cookies etc from time to time;)

I really should and I will. But now I've seen the truth and it can't be unseen!

Tommy Bowe is a sexy motherfukker

KevIRL wrote: »
    Tommy Bowe is a sexy motherfukker

Great try and some win alright. I don't follow rugby much, only watch the Six Nations and major Ireland games, but watching Ireland without BOD was strange.

Lads have a Man Utd away jersey,size large,mens,never worn,tags on it for sale €40,can post but extra.

Be a grand Xmas present if anyone wants it.

So lads, who is dieing in Love/Hate tonight?

Not sure, it ain't Nidge anyway.

Fran in a blaze of glory maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Am I the only one that doesn't watch Love/Hate?

Jesus man, get into it. It's epic.

You and my Nan... yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

You and my Nan... yes!

And me :)

All the spoilers that leak weekly through social media annoy me and then I get stubborn. We all know how stubborn I can get!

Everyone that I know who watches it, said it was crap after the first 4 or 5 episodes, and they all gave up on it. Then there was some big controversy at the the end of season 1 / start of season 2, and they all swore it was the best thing ever shown on Irish TV. I mean literally every single person that was watching it, told me not to bother with it, then 2 weeks later changed their tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

A shame that West Ham let go of Rat....
    I was gonna transfer him in, then transfer him out... just so I could have taken a hit on the rat for auld Nidgie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Everyone that I know who watches it, said it was crap after the first 4 or 5 episodes, and they all gave up on it. Then there was some big controversy at the the end of season 1 / start of season 2, and they all swore it was the best thing ever shown on Irish TV. I mean literally every single person that was watching it, told me not to bother with it, then 2 weeks later changed their tune.

Have genuinely not watched one episode.

On a side note, I hate C programming

dahat wrote: »
    Jesus man, get into it. It's epic.

Last night's episode was the best hour of Irish television that I've seen.

Last night's episode was the best hour of Irish television that I've seen.

Absolutely, blown away by it. Didn't know whether to vomit or cry and then total shock.

Unreal.

Absolutely, blown away by it. Didn't know whether to vomit or cry and then total shock.

Unreal.

I think that'd be a good point to end it but I Googled it there and Stuart Carolan had said in October he was halfway through writing series six.

I think that'd be a good point to end it but I Googled it there and Stuart Carolan had said in October he was halfway through writing series six.

Whos going to be in it!?!?!

Aido running round on his todd cleaning the flat. :D

All about Tommy next season, he opened his eyes once this season.

• Advertisement

All about Tommy next season, he opened his eyes once this season.

You still have Aido, Elmo, Fran, Terence Mays, the travellers, the Gardai and, I agree with the above, all those shots of Tommy must serve some future purpose.

Advertisement