Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FSA "off topic" thread - No discussion relating to FSA or Soccer - please read post 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Lemlin wrote: »
    They're not a patch on the originals IMO. Hopefully Abrahams can restore the series to its glory.

And not a JarJar Binx in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

manual_man wrote: »
    And not a JarJar Binx in sight.

You have to remember the era of the original and how mind blowing the films were effects wise etc for us old lads who were kids back then!

Were so used to cgi we forget that making a lot of the original movies had guys under tables working wires, and dwarves stuffed into robot costumes. For that alone I'll always be a fan of the originals.

I remember seeing a "making of" programme on them when I was a kid and it blew my mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

FHFC wrote: »
    You have to remember the era of the original and how mind blowing the films were effects wise etc for us old lads who were kids back then!

Were so used to cgi we forget that making a lot of the original movies had guys under tables working wires, and dwarves stuffed into robot costumes. For that alone I'll always be a fan of the originals.

I remember seeing a "making of" programme on them when I was a kid and it blew my mind!

Totally, the scale and effects was groundbreaking, I can imagine people literally gobsmacked watching episode IV in the cinema upon its first release. 2001: A Space Oddyssey was another one way ahead of its time in this regard. That film still puts a shiver down my spine to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

manual_man wrote: »
    Totally, the scale and effects was groundbreaking, I can imagine people literally gobsmacked watching episode IV in the cinema upon its first release. 2001: A Space Oddyssey was another one way ahead of its time in this regard. That film still puts a shiver down my spine to this day
    One of the greatest movie ever made in my opinion :cool:. Have to admit I'm a fan of botch Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick though and can understand the slowness of the movie can put people off.
    Speaking of visual effects, I participated in a debate in a cinema after the release of the restored version in 2001 and learnt that some of the scenes when Bowman enters the monolith were obtained by playing around with eggs and colored ink :eek:. When you see the result you have to think these guys were genuises.

Ditto. Saw a documentary about it and e.g. spacecrafts were just some shaped cardboard boxes put on a stepladder that some hidden tech was moving from below :D...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Just picked up my new phone from parcel motel. The OnePlus One. Happy new gadget day to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

KevIRL wrote: »
    Just picked up my new phone from parcel motel. The OnePlus One. Happy new gadget day to me

Let us know how that is after a few days if you don't mind
    Whats the camera like compared to say a Sony Z3 or a Samsung camera?

You need to be invited to buy one I think??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

KevIRL wrote: »

Good choice. Have it since August myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Never heard of it. What's the unique selling point on it?

Whats camera like? Would it be comparable to a Z3 or a Galaxy S 3,4 or 5 camera?

Any lag?

Is it a CM ROM that it runs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Mostly that people have never heard of it! Its the same sort of spec as €500+ phones but costs €350. The battery is also amazing. Personally I would say Xperias are better but OPO is better value.

• Advertisement

G1032 wrote: »
    Whats camera like? Would it be comparable to a Z3 or a Galaxy S 3,4 or 5 camera?

Any lag?

Is it a CM ROM that it runs?

The camera is tricky there are so many settings to fiddle with its ridiculous! If you know what you are doing then its probably one of the best cameras in the regular phone market but as a point and shoot it can be tricky!

The CM additions are really good it gives you a lot more access than standard. You can't get away from the fact it does crash a lot more often and freezes up but I expected that and its not that frequent.

If money is no issue then the Z3 is the best but if you are looking for the best value then OPO is the one.

As jimmi said it's a 500 euro phone for 350ish.

Camera is decent enough. I think the s5 is a little better though.
    Battery is insane though. Lollipop is coming shortly too.

Hopefully OPO are able to get Storedot involved with OPO3 then it would just be ridiculous! Add that and make it water proof and it'll be perfect! I plan on getting the new one this year anyway doubt there will be that much different but who doesn't like a new toy!

Any of you lads got a chromecast? I love mine. It's pretty much the way I watch all my stuff now. Even the illegal steaming site I use supports chromecast now.

Any of you lads got a chromecast? I love mine. It's pretty much the way I watch all my stuff now. Even the illegal steaming site I use supports chromecast now.

Been using one for a good while mainly for Netflix got a new TV not so long ago with a browser but try not to use it as its no where near as good as casting it!

jimmii wrote: »
    The camera is tricky there are so many settings to fiddle with its ridiculous! If you know what you are doing then its probably one of the best cameras in the regular phone market but as a point and shoot it can be tricky!

The CM additions are really good it gives you a lot more access than standard. You can't get away from the fact it does crash a lot more often and freezes up but I expected that and its not that frequent.

If money is no issue then the Z3 is the best but if you are looking for the best value then OPO is the one.

I have a Z3 myself but my wife will be looking for a new phone very soon
    She has the Xperia Z1 and kind of fancies a change
    Samsung is a no no because they are so sh!t. Just a continuous lag fest that doesn’t seem to have improved over the years. I stupidly bought an S3 after having both the S1 and S2 and it was just so laggy. Reports suggest the S5 is still no better (and I’ve seen work colleagues S5’s and they are as laggy as the S3)
    She had a HTC before that gave nothing but trouble!!

So options are running out as you can see. LG flagships are too expensive to buy pay as you go.
    Was looking at the One 2 One or the Xiaomi Mi 4

Problem with the O2O though is the CM ROM. There is always something wrong with them ROMs. Always some bug or other. I’m not sure if the Xiaomi runs CM though. Have to check that out

No. I had thought about getting one over the Xmas but never did. No particular reason either other than I don;t really watch/get to watch a whole lot of television.
    I watch a few series alright but don't need the Chromecast for them.

I do have Plex Media Server set up from Laptop to phone but rarely if ever use that either

G1032 wrote: »
    I have a Z3 myself but my wife will be looking for a new phone very soon
    She has the Xperia Z1 and kind of fancies a change
    Samsung is a no no because they are so sh!t. Just a continuous lag fest that doesn’t seem to have improved over the years. I stupidly bought an S3 after having both the S1 and S2 and it was just so laggy. Reports suggest the S5 is still no better (and I’ve seen work colleagues S5’s and they are as laggy as the S3)
    She had a HTC before that gave nothing but trouble!!

So options are running out as you can see. LG flagships are too expensive to buy pay as you go.
    Was looking at the One 2 One or the Xiaomi Mi 4

Problem with the O2O though is the CM ROM. There is always something wrong with them ROMs. Always some bug or other. I’m not sure if the Xiaomi runs CM though. Have to check that out

The CM input with OPO is more like how you get TouchWiz on Samsung just it cover more than just the little bit of TouchWiz that sits on top of Android. I used the Z series before switching too OPO makes for a perfect replacement the only thing I have missed is the waterproofing! I got used to taking for granted using my phone in the rain now I have to worry about it getting wet again! I am a pretty heavy user and was finding I was getting about 12-14 hours from my Sony whereas with the OPO i can get 24 hours which is really handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

jimmii wrote: »
    The CM input with OPO is more like how you get TouchWiz on Samsung just it cover more than just the little bit of TouchWiz that sits on top of Android. I used the Z series before switching too OPO makes for a perfect replacement the only thing I have missed is the waterproofing! I got used to taking for granted using my phone in the rain now I have to worry about it getting wet again! I am a pretty heavy user and was finding I was getting about 12-14 hours from my Sony whereas with the OPO i can get 24 hours which is really handy!

Have the OPO myself but don't find the battery on mine as good as others do. A day at work (where I'd have minimal use) and then maybe a couple of hours on the internet in the evening and I'd find the battery would be nearly gone. Not sure if I might have some app(s) downloaded that could be causing an issue. Great phone all the same.

qwabercd wrote: »
    Have the OPO myself but don't find the battery on mine as good as others do. A day at work (where I'd have minimal use) and then maybe a couple of hours on the internet in the evening and I'd find the battery would be nearly gone. Not sure if I might have some app(s) downloaded that could be causing an issue. Great phone all the same.

That's strange sounds like there must be something weird going on there. Mine is in use almost all day including using it to monitor CCTV and comfortably sees me through the day. Might be worth looking into a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Looked out the window to see most of the garden fence has blown away :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Looked out the window to see most of the garden fence has blown away :eek::eek::eek:

Better than most of your roof blowing away! Where do you live?

Better than most of your roof blowing away! Where do you live?

On the Limerick side of the Limerick/Cork border. about 10 miles from Charleville

Its getting pretty wild in Dublin too now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

On the Limerick side of the Limerick/Cork border. about 10 miles from Charleville

You're the Drom/Broadford man?? Was it yourself had the under21 final saga last year that we were being kept up to speed on? My Missus is from out that neck of the woods.

You're the Drom/Broadford man?? Was it yourself had the under21 final saga last year that we were being kept up to speed on? My Missus is from out that neck of the woods.

I am. Yeah we wanted to play the match. Lost it fair and square :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Did a good bit of driving today around Kildare and it wasn't fun. Especially on a motorway.

At least the temperature went up and heating can be turned off biggrin.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Try working in it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I have to cycle home in it...I fear it will takee a little longer tonight to get home!

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    I have to cycle home in it...I fear it will takee a little longer tonight to get home!

Go with a wind:D

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Pretty windy in Dublin too had to walk home in it. On the upside exams finito :D

We got it last night here in Cavan. Both kids awake in the middle of the night. My one year old daughter is normally a great sleeper but it had her totally unsettled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

The big child in me loves the wind
    N4LrewN.jpg

Wind is poxy for cycling. I'd rather cycle in the pissings of rain than in windy conditions. Usually we get both together in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Wind is poxy for cycling. I'd rather cycle in the pissings of rain than in windy conditions. Usually we get both together in this country.

Nightmare really but lucky it has eased off where I am so made it home without cycling in reverse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

Nightmare really but lucky it has eased off where I am so made it home without cycling in reverse!

Two horrendous cycles home the last two evenings, particularly Thursday. Straight in to the wind and raining both times.

Just keep the legs turning!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sneachtafear

Wind makes a man of you

Wind makes a man of you

Also makes you unpopular in small rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Any of ye know much about laptops? Looking to buy a new one, basically just for internet use (browsing, watching movies & sport etc). Budget of about €350 - €400 but there's no point in paying over the odds for stuff I don't need.

Currently looking at the folowing:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...er/1472833.htm
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...er/2455914.htm
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...7C14419039.htm

Anybody have any idea how these shape up or any other alternatives?

• Advertisement

Any of ye know much about laptops? Looking to buy a new one, basically just for internet use (browsing, watching movies & sport etc). Budget of about €350 - €400 but there's no point in paying over the odds for stuff I don't need.

Looking to buy one myself shortly. Not looked into it too much yet.

Thread over on bargain alerts where a lot are buying this and it's only half your budget:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057316145/1

Thread over on bargain alerts where a lot are buying this and it's only half your budget:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057316145/1

Will probably buy this! Good man.

I thought this laptop has gone in price since. Could be wrong...

Keep an eye on that thread and on all BA if you are about to spend money.

wonski wrote: »
    I thought this laptop has gone in price since. Could be wrong...

Keep an eye on that thread and on all BA if you are about to spend money.

It's still 199 with 7% off.

It's still 199 with 7% off.

It's a bargain then. I thought they were all gone.

You can't go wrong with a decent laptop at that price.

It's a bargain then. I thought they were all gone.

You can't go wrong with a decent laptop at that price.

No Microsoft office on it is my only issue. Another 100 quid to add. I need to phone a friend about that tomorrow!

No Microsoft office on it is my only issue. Another 100 quid to add. I need to phone a friend about that tomorrow!

Unless you use it for work and it has to be MS Office i would look at Open Office org and other options.

If, however, you use it commercially and need it you would have to pay for it anyway. No personal laptop comes with full MS office anyway.

All i ever got was some lame student office package with 3-6 months license.

Unless you use it for work and it has to be MS Office i would look at Open Office org and other options.

If, however, you use it commercially and need it you would have to pay for it anyway. No personal laptop comes with full MS office anyway.

All i ever got was some lame student office package with 3-6 months license.

Haven't bought a lap top in ages. Usually have one from work. Might not need office really I suppose, just used to always having it.

Haven't bought a lap top in ages. Usually have one from work. Might not need office really I suppose, just used to always having it.

MS Office has to be paid for. There are free options out there, though.
    Don't expect it to be free in a laptop in 200-400 range. I even doubt it is free in a top range except special offers / promotions in PC World etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement