Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FSA "off topic" thread - No discussion relating to FSA or Soccer - please read post 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Might stay up for this . No work tomorrow.

I do have work, but staying up anyway. Will hit the hay if it looks like a complete lost cause.

Worried about our bowling line up though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

KevIRL wrote: »
    I do have work, but staying up anyway. Will hit the hay if it looks like a complete lost cause.

Worried about our bowling line up though

Bring back trent johnstone ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Due to no FF yesterday I decided to paint the dining room and earn some brownie points...ceiling and walls all done by 4.30 just in time for the game, well chuffed.

Today...manflu with a nasty cough...nightmare end to the weekend.

Bring back trent johnstone ha

Big Boyd Rankin would be great to have. But he's gone to england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Haha my missus asked the same thing straight away. Unfortunately the job doesn't come with a discount, sorry to disappoint ha

Worked in Brown Thomas (& Awear) head office during the good old days.... I must of got a hundred texts of congratulations the day I got the job... Hardest part of the job was buying stuff for the missus, her friends, her friends neighbours, neighbours cousins.... nearly had to go all drug dealer on it and change my phone number every few weeks.

• Advertisement

A decent start

A decent start

my stream isnt working 31-1 last time i checked

my stream isnt working 31-1 last time i checked

2nd wicket since. Direct hit getting a run out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Sitting down to get my cricket on now. However long I last is another story :pac:

Nice 6 for Gayle as soon as turn it on!

Yussss. Gayle gone

• Advertisement

Boom. Go sports team!

That's plumb

going well it seems 86-4 22 overs.

Badly need the 6th wicket soon

305 target set. Poor death bowling and took way too long to get that 6th wicket

Brilliant batting display. Ireland v close

Brilliant win. Chasing down 300+ always a great achievement. 3 brilliant batting performances, 2 great bowling performances and all round great team Fielding performance. Definitely worth staying up for. Now for an hour or so kip before work..

Well done Ireland yet again.

Brilliant win. Chasing down 300+ always a great achievement. 3 brilliant batting performances, 2 great bowling performances and all round great team Fielding performance. Definitely worth staying up for. Now for an hour or so kip before work..

Well done Ireland yet again.
    Great performance by yourself staying up to watch it. Great win chance of making the quarters now.

Great performance by yourself staying up to watch it. Great win chance of making the quarters now.

Cant drop the ball in the next game v UAE. Fortunately over a week to it so time to get this out of the system and re focus on that game.

Essentially have to win that and beat Zimbabwe and we should make the quarter finals. Zim the tougher opponent so can't take anything for granted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Cant drop the ball in the next game v UAE. Fortunately over a week to it so time to get this out of the system and re focus on that game.

Essentially have to win that and beat Zimbabwe and we should make the quarter finals. Zim the tougher opponent so can't take anything for granted

Are there four teams per group or how many?

Heard on the radio this morning this could be our last cricket world cup due to rule changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

2 groups with 7 teams in each, the top 4 from each group qualify. So basically, win 3 games and the team gets through. Beating the Windies is a big help towards getting through. Actually kinda think we could get a win out of the Pakistan game as well. They looked poor enough against India the other night and we've beaten Pakistan at the World Cup before, so we have previous with them!

I kinda wish I had stayed up to watch them myself. Nothing happening in work today. Half the country must have been up watching them and all rang in sick today :D

It could be our last cricket world cup, which would be a crying shame. With that win today, we've reaffirmed that we deserve to be at the top table with the big boys. But the cricket establishment doesn't like change that could affect the top 10 test playing nations, so we'll wait and see.

Qualification for the 2019 Cricket World Cup
    The 2019 World Cup will feature 10 teams, down from 14 teams in 2011 and 2015. The hosts England, and the top 7 other teams, as on 30 September 2017, in the ICC rankings (comprising the ten full members, Ireland and Afghanistan) will earn automatic qualification with the remaining 2 spots being decided by the 2018 Cricket World Cup Qualifier in Bangladesh. This allows ICC Associate and Affiliate members to compete for the remaining 2 spots meaning the tournament may not feature any Associate or Affiliate nation.[4] The ten teams that would complete for the remaining 2 spots will be teams ranked 9 through 12 and top 6 teams from the World Cricket League Division-1.

At present, Ireland and Afghanistan play a lot fewer ODI's than the other Full Member Associations, so it's harder to gain points, but on the plus side, with this announcement, it means both ourselves and Afghanistan will now get the opportunity to play more ODI's against the Test Playing nations and looking at the current rankings, despite our low number of games, we are close enough to Zimbabwe that we could play enough games against them to take points off them and propel ourselves towards the Top 8.

http://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/team-rankings/odi

I never knew so many Irish people followed cricket!

Lemlin wrote: »

Its a great sport and was huge in Ireland before the rise of the gaa

Lemlin wrote: »

After football I'd would be the sport I enjoy watching the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sneachtafear

Its a great sport and was huge in Ireland before the rise of the gaa

Prior to 1884!!

Prior to 1884!!

Yes?

Yes?

I think he means it was a very long time ago!

I've been told by a friend that watches it that its a very basic sport to play. He reckoned there aren't many rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Strangely enough(or maybe not) cricket was strongest in county Kilkenny before and even during the early years of the GAA, quite a few Kilkenny hurling legends have ancestors who were well known cricketers, believe it or not I did a bit of research into this as part of a wider study on sport in Ireland during my undergrad History days.

I used to love watching the test matches back in the day but it's been a long time, one day cricket doesn't do it for me to be honest.

• Advertisement

Strangely enough(or maybe not) cricket was strongest in county Kilkenny before and even during the early years of the GAA, quite a few Kilkenny hurling legends have ancestors who were well known cricketers, believe it or not I did a bit of research into this as part of a wider study on sport in Ireland during my undergrad History days.

I used to love watching the test matches back in the day but it's been a long time, one day cricket doesn't do it for me to be honest.

Afaik it would have been a working mans game back then, or at least a shared game between the classes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

PARlance wrote: »
    Afaik it would have been a working mans game back then, or at least a shared game between the classes.

Landlords would have sponsored teams, some took the Arab sheikh approach and would bring in well paid ringers. It certainly wasn't elitist in those days.

Here we go again. Ireland v UAE from Brisbane, one change with cusack in for mcbrine. Ireland win the toss and will bowl

Decent start from Ireland. They have UAE at 55-2 after 15 overs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Not going great, UAE looking at 260 / 270 here, another big chase needed from us.

AdpRo wrote: »
    Not going great, UAE looking at 260 / 270 here, another big chase needed from us.

They have rallied well. Poor death bowling from our lads

• Advertisement

279 the target then. Gettable but all about keeping the head and keeping wickets in hand

Bad start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Bad start!

Kev, is there any radio commentary of this online?

Thrilling stuff

Kev, is there any radio commentary of this online?

Test match special on bbc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Looks like we are going to do it......following them really isn't good for the heart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Test match special on bbc

Cheers, listening to it now...

This is tense as hell!!

....and breathe :)

Come on Ireland!

Oh my heart.....my heart!

Long day since 3am. Wrecked tired and its only lunchtime!

Great win beat Zimbabwe and they will make the quarters by the looks of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Super round today from Padraig Harrington. In at - 3 at the Honda. Here's hoping he puts another three of those rounds together over the next few days.

G1032 wrote: »
    Super round today from Padraig Harrington. In at - 3 at the Honda. Here's hoping he puts another three of those rounds together over the next few days.

Great day for Irish golf, Peter Lawrie (who lost his card last year... is fighting for his professional life this year for those that aren't familiar) is in the Top 10 on the European Tour event. A top 10 finish would go a massive way to securing a card for next year.
    Kevin Phelan is also up there in contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

PARlance wrote: »
    Great day for Irish golf, Peter Lawrie (who lost his card last year... is fighting for his professional life this year for those that aren't familiar) is in the Top 10 on the European Tour event. A top 10 finish would go a massive way to securing a card for next year.
    Kevin Phelan is also up there in contention.

Lawrie has started very well on the Thursday and Fridays this season but has had very poor weekends. Shooting 75's etc on Saturday/Sunday. Even if he could stop the destructive weekend rounds and keep them to level/+1 he'd not be doing too badly.

I'm assuming he'll continue to get a lot of invites this season. He's supposed to be well liked on tour and surely the likes of McIlroy, Harrington, McDowell, Clarke etc can pull a few strings for him to help him continue to get invites. One or two big finishes though and he'll be grand.

He was telling one of the guys from the Golf Weekly podcast that he was addicted to Coke (Coca Cola!!). He was drinking 4 or 5 liters a day or something insane like that???? He knew he had to get off it but when he did eventually quit his game began to suffer initially. He says that's all behind him now so onwards and upwards. Fingers crossed for a good weekend for him

• Advertisement
Advertisement