Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FSA "off topic" thread - No discussion relating to FSA or Soccer - please read post 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

jimmii wrote: »
    Irish insurance is fecking insane! I've never driven and the other day I put in my details on my mum's car into the meerkats and I would pay less in Scotland with a brand new license than she pays in Ireland despite her having 40 odd years experience! Just crazy!

As a first time driver it was quoting me £700ish for a 1.9 golf was amazed how low it was and on some cars it was as low as £450.
    Most of those companies (RSA/Aviva/Zurich) operate in UK and Ireland, so the difference isn't the company, it's the customers.

Ireland has a huge fraud problem at the moment, we solve that and we'll all get cheaper insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Most of those companies (RSA/Aviva/Zurich) operate in UK and Ireland, so the difference isn't the company, it's the customers.

Ireland has a huge fraud problem at the moment, we solve that and we'll all get cheaper insurance.

Working in insurance for the last decade, this is quite an interesting topic for me (sadly) and I'd have to disagree. Fraud in Ireland is nothing like our closest neighbours the UK for example.

You get very few, if any, staged claims or phantom passenger cases in ROI. We also don't allow Accident Management companies which are a scourge in the UK.

Our problem is our claims cost in this country. 12 month soft tissue injuries are settling for €16,000 to €20,000. In the UK, it's £2,000 to £4,000. That's some difference.

An article on the topic for anyone that might be interested:

http://www.insuranceireland.eu/news-and-publications/news-press-release/insurance-ireland-proposes-range-of-measures-to-address-increases-in-the-cost-of-claims

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

I usually run a couple of Last Man Standing comps throughout the season in work and have started in a new place recently so would like to get one started for the euros, just curious how it would work in tournament format? I mean once you get out of the group stages you are more than likely going to have to use teams you have already selected etc?

I guess tournaments don't really lend themselves to LMS but surely there's a way to pull it off all the same, i'll run a sweepstakes too but the LMS allows for more people to take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I usually run a couple of Last Man Standing comps throughout the season in work and have started in a new place recently so would like to get one started for the euros, just curious how it would work in tournament format? I mean once you get out of the group stages you are more than likely going to have to use teams you have already selected etc?

I guess tournaments don't really lend themselves to LMS but surely there's a way to pull it off all the same, i'll run a sweepstakes too but the LMS allows for more people to take part.

I think you would be better off running a euro prediction league like the one fhfc posted in the cups and other lge thread. Ive run these before they keep everyone interested. Bit of hard work if your a computer dummy like myself and need to correct it yourself.

I think you would be better off running a euro prediction league like the one fhfc posted in the cups and other lge thread. Ive run these before they keep everyone interested. Bit of hard work if your a computer dummy like myself and need to correct it yourself.

How does it work roughly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

How does it work roughly?

Give out a sheet for them to predict scores of all matches and then they predict last 16. Alternatively you could get people to predict last 16, 8, 4, finalists and winners and have a marking scheme for that. Check out finn harps website there is a scoring system on that.

Give out a sheet for them to predict scores of all matches and then they predict last 16. Alternatively you could get people to predict last 16, 8, 4, finalists and winners and have a marking scheme for that. Check out finn harps website there is a scoring system on that.

Ah great shout, just read over the rules there! great format, fair play to whoever put the time into thinking this up, very well explained and thought out! Will definitely look at running this in the office!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

20yrs in my job wiped out today, liquidators appointed by the High Court. Devastated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

dahat wrote: »
    20yrs in my job wiped out today, liquidators appointed by the High Court. Devastated.

Don't know what to say about that fella, hope it works out alright for ya. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Btw. Don't suppose anyone here wants a ticket for the Ireland Holland game tonight? €40. Can be collected in Dublin. Pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭annfield1978

is there much access to the team in their hotel. Are they staying in castleknock?

I was thinking of taking my son down to the hotel to see them off before they head off to the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Ah great shout, just read over the rules there! great format, fair play to whoever put the time into thinking this up, very well explained and thought out! Will definitely look at running this in the office!

I've done prediction leagues with this lot before. https://www.superbru.com/euro2016/

Everybody predicts the scores of games and you get points for correct result, correct score, or closest score. It's pretty simple.

Many for the Euros in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Heading to Sweden and Belgian games. Looking forward to it hugely

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Heading to Sweden and Belgian games. Looking forward to it hugely

Sweden and Italy. Just finalise few bits.

Best part is FPL is paying for the whole thing! :D

Heading to Bordeaux for the Belgium game, wasn't able to get my hands on a ticket yet so praying to the football gods i'll pick one up over there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

BUIB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

PARlance wrote:
    BUIB

Nice volley ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

anyone know where i can get a replacement F5 laptop key?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

manual_man wrote: »

Like the old school style! Much more fun that hourly updates saying no change to website!

• Advertisement

Send the bill to @markrogers1, FPL Towers.

FHFC wrote: »
    Send the bill to @markrogers1, FPL Towers.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

spent the last 12.5 hours in hospital with 5 kidney stones.... the pain of them :O

Would appreciate some help form the tech heads who know their stuff when it comes to PCs...

I know nothing about PCs but need to get a PC to work from home. In work, we use Dell OptiPlex 3020....

http://www.dell.com/ie/business/p/op...top&l=en&s=bsd

One of those along with a 22 inch Dell monitor is costing me €700 with delivery and VAT.

Dell S2216H Monitor

Could I get better bang for my buck though?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lemlin wrote: »
    Would appreciate some help form the tech heads who know their stuff when it comes to PCs...

I know nothing about PCs but need to get a PC to work from home. In work, we use Dell OptiPlex 3020....

One of those along with a 22 inch Dell monitor is costing me €700 with delivery and VAT.

Dell S2216H Monitor

So that's where the entry fees are going! :pac:

Dell S2216H Monitor

If you're buying off the shelf there's always better value to be had but you normally have to put it together yourself which I'm guessing is not something you fancy giving a shot!

What will you be using it for? Unless you're doing some pretty technical stuff 700 probably means you're getting a lot of stuff you don't really need.

Anyone recommend an alternative to deep heat? Something a bit hotter if possible! They don't make deep heat as hot as they used to...

I've used this stuff before to great effect, though its more of an "after the event" type treatment than something you'd put on your muscles before/during exercise.

https://www.amazon.com/Biofreeze-Pain-Relieving-4-Ounce-Pack/dp/B003ZVBKWS

The best way of getting the benefit I found was to apply it to the effected area for about 10 minutes, draw a hot bath and then submerge your sore bits into the hot water. Its great for back aches.

Pro Tip:
    to save on the anguish of lowering yourself into piping hot water inch by inch, half fill the bath with lukewarm water, get in, then fill it the rest of the way with just hot water

thanks shifty, i probably should have elaborated it's for a dodgy shoulder. have started dry needling treatment, but in between have been advised to put heat on it (hot water bottle suits, but not always possible + is a bit awkward). Might try the biofreeze trick i've actually used the gel before it's good for a bit of instant (if not brief) pain relief but never tried like you said before a bath

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've used it in a similar fashion before and found it mediocre at best. Then my girlfriend advised of the bath trick and its like night and day. Best of luck.

Yeah, I've used it in a similar fashion before and found it mediocre at best. Then my girlfriend advised of the bath trick and its like night and day. Best of luck.

cheers buddy

Suffer regularly with shoulder and back aches (lifting up to 5 or 6 ton of sand, gravel, blocks and coal would do that to ya i guess) and after being given all sorts of gels and things to try the best thing I could tell you to use for a dodgy shoulder would be the mint smelling udder cream for cows :D

You might laugh but it actually works :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Anyone recommend an alternative to deep heat? Something a bit hotter if possible! They don't make deep heat as hot as they used to...

I use Tiger Balm instead of DH, you'll get it in most pharmacies. I find it much better than deep heat. It comes in a small glass container but it'll last a lot longer, you'll only need a small bit of it to do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Suffer regularly with shoulder and back aches (lifting up to 5 or 6 ton of sand, gravel, blocks and coal would do that to ya i guess) and after being given all sorts of gels and things to try the best thing I could tell you to use for a dodgy shoulder would be the mint smelling udder cream for cows :D

You might laugh but it actually works :)

Cheno unction?

Cheno unction?

no idea what its called :D it just has a picture of a cow on it :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

no idea what its called :D it just has a picture of a cow on it :D:D

I love this forum :pac:

If you're buying off the shelf there's always better value to be had but you normally have to put it together yourself which I'm guessing is not something you fancy giving a shot!

What will you be using it for? Unless you're doing some pretty technical stuff 700 probably means you're getting a lot of stuff you don't really need.

Just general work stuff. A lot of Excel and Word. We log into a cloud based system from home PC.

Just general work stuff. A lot of Excel and Word. We log into a cloud based system from home PC.

Any set up should be able to handle that really if need be. Best just to spend what you want on it as the extras are really going to make little difference. You only really notice the extras if you're doing a lot of image stuff or gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

What sports do ye like to watch when the Olympics roll around every 4 years that wouldn't normally be on the viewing agenda?

For me it's the cycling road race today, especially with Dan Martin in with a shout plus the BMX racing.

But top of the list has to be the canoe slalom. Eoin Rheinish always gave it a good rattle.

There's a few people from school in sports I wouldn't normally watch but keep an eye on. I normally stick the swimming on which I would never and would watch most of the events where GB are in with a good shout of being in the hunt. Definitely down for some of the canoe too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

The women's beach volleyball ftw. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Olympics (both) are great. I like many many sports and generaly enjoy most (if not all) of them (what you need is curiosity and a good commentator, e.g. I happened to really enjoy curling 2 Olympics ago 'cause we had a great pair of commentators on the French TV).

Since you asked about what we'd normally not follow, I'd say fencing, judo, mountain bike racing, gymnastics, rowing & modern pentathlon (fencing, swimming, riding, shooting, running).

Then, bar field hockey that I found ridiculous (yeah I know I'm totally biased since I played ice hockey (real hockey :p:D) for 12 years in my youth), I enjoy watching all team sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Watched the cycling today, great race if even a little scary at times with plenty crashes on the decents.

Dan Martin equalled Irelands best ever result with 13th place with Nico Roche 29th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Up Skibb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

spock. wrote: »
    Up Skibb!

I believe our own 'gas man' Mr Prodston isn't a million miles away from those two boys, something about the air in wesht Cork :pac:
    Brilliant achievement for two great lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

I believe our own 'gas man' Mr Prodston isn't a million miles away from those two boys, something about the air in wesht Cork :pac:
    Brilliant achievement for two great lads.

Fair play to them, the interviews have been the best thing about the olympics, tis all over the t'interweb

Weird seeing your man on the electric bike leading out the track cyclists!

Bizarre end to the rowing there both given the exact same time and no one is sure if its a joint gold or whether one is going to end up with silver!

Bizarre end to the rowing there both given the exact same time and no one is sure if its a joint gold or whether one is going to end up with silver!

in the swimming Phelps got a silver along with 2 others!

in the swimming Phelps got a silver along with 2 others!

In the womens swimming there was a joint gold too bizarre to have so many joint medals given how accurate the timing is now! In the rowing they decided to give one guy the silver seems a bit harsh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement