Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is over on motors and knocking about online

• 30-09-2013 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Dailymail carrying the story; not sure what more reputable sites are.

RR had a husband/wife/5yo kid in it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

no info on what originally happened . Coudent have ended well for the RR driver. Very convient the camera stopped recording when it did, can only imagine he got his face closed inn by some angry mofosss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Reports are driver in hosp with some lacerations.

Missing parts of the video for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Pity he won't be made to pay for the bikes he damaged. He didn't care if he killed the lads he drove over so he deserves whatever he got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Looks to me like the RR driver was being harassed.

Bikers were being little pricks IMO, and I'd probably have done the same as the RR driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Bikers like that are not out in force usually and the video doesn't tell anything of what may have happened.

logic would suggest that the SUV driver offended at least one of the bikers at some point.

the driver of the SUV would most likely claim they feared for their lives and given what I've seen on the video he/she may well have been in fear - but the bikers didn't randomly choose an SUV - something else must have happened which is not shown on the video....something kicked this off and until we see that video it is hard to understand the mentality of both sides.

the bikers may feel justified but hunting down a driver and cornering him with a pack of other bikers is going to be intimidating - I wanna know what the driver did to offend them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well for a start we dont know what happened at the very start....if some 2 bit toe rag pulled a gun on him over something silly you would do the same if your 5yr old was in the car.....you would hit the gas too!

But what was he thinking, he was never gonna out run them not into the city. His best bet was to stick on the motorway and floor it.......call the 5-0 or hope for the best.

Maybe he has been playing far too much GRAND THEFT AUTO 5

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Basically it was an annual bike run in NYC. From my opinion, watching from the very start of the video, it seemed like he was trying to push through the group and tailgating some of the other bikers. You then see the guy in white drive up to him to try and get him to back off. Guy in white goes ahead to slow the RR down so the group could reform and get on their way again, unimpeded. RR hits guy in white and that is when you see the group stop. The rest is pretty clear from the video.

Just my 2c on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Why did the bike in front of the Range Rover slow down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

If it was my wife and child in the car I too would drive to extremes to lose that mob.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

just watched the beginning there.. some muppet on a gsxr doing a brake test on the RR, and then weaseling off (see him back near the front when the RR does its first 4x4 demo).. big man

Just cowardly... I'd say the RR had to slam on, causing the bikes behind to run up the back of it, making them think he was brake testing them :o ... appeared to all kick off then, prompting the escape

incidently, I wouldnt say range rover are hating the exposure lol - some advertisement for em :p

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »

incidently, I wouldnt say range rover are hating the exposure lol - some advertisement for em :p

to be fair .... Range Rover (or most SUV) drivers already have a stigma attached to them and its not because they are competent or good road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It would have been rather more pleasant and productive if everyone involved had given everyone else a suitably wide berth from the get-go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Really depends on what caused the RR to put the foot down in the first place.
    If someone in the group pulled a gun then fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

One of the posters in motors mentioned the RR hit a biker before hand and drove off.

The video is them catching up after.

No link at present tho to that info.

kaimera wrote: »
    One of the posters in motors mentioned the RR hit a biker before hand and drove off.

The video is them catching up after.

No link at present tho to that info.

I would guess thats pure speculation - and guesswork !!

the SUV could have been trying to get through all the bikes and may have cut or been unmannerly to the bikers and they all ganged up on him, to be fair if you are on your way somewhere in a car/bike and suddenly the entire roadway is blocked by cyclists side by side - you are going to get frustrated if they don't at least offer to get out of your way - particularly if they are not capable of going to a decent speed on the road.

something must have happened to cause the bikers to act as they did ..... is what the video shows justification for any previous actions - unlikely (in my opinion)

even if the SUV had been arrogant and tried to bully his way through the bikers it doesn't merit some of them deliberately blocking him and attacking him - I think most of the bikers were in the group purely to see what was going to happen - something was going to kick off and many of them are driving to keep up with the action and not to get involved....only a handful deliberately going for the SUV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

As said already, if there was a weapon directed at the driver then I would drive right over them too. But if he just feared for his safety because he was surrounded then I don't believe being surrounded by angry bikers is an excuse to drive over them.

Also he made the decision to run them over knowing that he could be killing a number of men and women. He made a decision to potentially murder the people on front of him because he was scared. I hope for his sake that they pointed a weapon at him and don't because they called him bad names.

The biker that slowed down on front of the jeep done nothing wrong at all. He should of indicated before changing into the lane but slowing down is not illegal. The video shows that he didn't slow down drastically especially compared to every other biker around him. The jeep more than likely didn't see him because of all the stuff happening around him. The rear ending may have been an accident brought on by a group of bikes driving dangerously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

5, 6 & 7 wrongs don't make a right.

It's really not clear what happened at the start. There was a minor incident, everyone stopped. The guy was surrounded by fifty or sixty bikers, if they started shouting threats at him with his family in the car, then his reaction to step on the gas is understandable. His decision to keep moving was very sensible judging by the fact that the bikers wanted to drag him out of the car, but then similarly if some guy had just run down a friend unprovoked, I'd chase him too. But if some little scummer ran up to open the door of my car with my family inside, I wouldn't hesitate to step on it and ram anything in my way.

So it all really hinges on what happened at the start.

But he should have stayed on the freeway and called the cops. Maybe his plan was to drive to a police station, but getting anywhere which would require you to stop was a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

What a mess

/resumes happy life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Slightly Clearer Version

I have watched this a few times in slow motion trying to figure out what happened.
    From how I see it, it appears that some of the riders were a bit annoyed with him hogging the centre lane as they caught up initially.
    Up to 17 seconds of footage shows bikes passing the car by on both the inside and outer lane and ignoring the car, it can be presumed up to that point there is no interest in the car.
    At 17 seconds you can see between two of the bikes the rider on the white bike looking in and most likely saying something to the car driver. (move over, you're in the way?)
    Whatever reply the driver gives the rider goes in front to create a rolling blockage, drifts to the white line and has his body turned away from the car as the car passes quite close on the rider's inside at 26 seconds in, so close that the car may have touched the bike.
    The camera's quick glances at 29 and 30 appear to show the same rider back out in front of the car, there does not seem to be a bike on the ground in the background, maybe they touched followed by verbal and hand gestures, then all the bikes begin to stop en masse.
    Whatever happens next is enough for the driver to floor it, smashing into a bike as he does and the rest is the chase.
    In my opinion, it was the initial exchange between the two at 17 seconds that sparked the whole thing, (move over middle lane hogger you're in our way, with go f#ck yourself being the reply ?? Who knows)

K.Flyer wrote: »
    In my opinion, it was the initial exchange between the two at 17 seconds that sparked the whole thing, (move over middle lane hogger you're in our way, with go f#ck yourself being the reply ?? Who knows)
    Is it me, or at that point is the RR indicating right, and trying to move out of the way but is being boxed in the riders? Could be the video, but it looks like his indicator is flashing.
    I initially thought that the RR had sped up to ram the bike, but if you look at the speed of the other bikes, the bike clearly pulls in front and jams on. Stupidity in anyone's book.

I think you're right - that rider never came off. I would say that there was some contact made and the RR decided to stop. As you would if you had just hit a bike. Then something happened which caused him to floor it.

Not really surprised that the bikers aren't getting much sympathy on the web for this. Particularly when some of the pro-rider articles include clips of the same group doing wheelies down public roads:
    http://gothamist.com/2013/09/30/video_driver_plows_over_motorcyclis.php

Doesn't really paint them in glory. Whatever the cause of the driver hitting the gas, I think biker groups should make a point of distancing themselves from the actions of these riders.

• Advertisement

As said already, if there was a weapon directed at the driver then I would drive right over them too. But if he just feared for his safety because he was surrounded then I don't believe being surrounded by angry bikers is an excuse to drive over them.

Also he made the decision to run them over knowing that he could be killing a number of men and women. He made a decision to potentially murder the people on front of him because he was scared. I hope for his sake that they pointed a weapon at him and don't because they called him bad names.

The biker that slowed down on front of the jeep done nothing wrong at all. He should of indicated before changing into the lane but slowing down is not illegal. The video shows that he didn't slow down drastically especially compared to every other biker around him. The jeep more than likely didn't see him because of all the stuff happening around him. The rear ending may have been an accident brought on by a group of bikes driving dangerously.

it is illegal if it was done with the intent of annoying/inciting anger from the motorist - driving too slow is just as dangerous as driving too fast.

whatever happened to kick it off didn't deserve the pack surrounding the motorist and the motorist (most likely) will claim he thought his life was in danger - to be fair if you were suddenly surrounded by 20 people you would not think they wanted to all buy you a drink - you will feel in fear.

Looking at reddit and most sources, which cite the NYPD; at the initial stop some guys started kicking the RR and punching the windows. One guy opened the driver's door, which is when the driver floored it. And the child was a five month old baby, not a five year old. They were trying to punch in all of the windows, including the one beside the child.

Given those circumstances, anyone would have done the same. Zero sympathy for the bikers and the one biker who got his leg broken. They should count themselves lucky that the RR didn't decide to start side swiping them and brake checking them when they gave chase. I can't guarantee I wouldn't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Looks like the bikers were acting like a bunch of scumbags to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

seamus wrote: »
    Looking at reddit and most sources, which cite the NYPD; at the initial stop some guys started kicking the RR and punching the windows. One guy opened the driver's door, which is when the driver floored it. And the child was a five month old baby, not a five year old. They were trying to punch in all of the windows, including the one beside the child.

Given those circumstances, anyone would have done the same. Zero sympathy for the bikers and the one biker who got his leg broken. They should count themselves lucky that the RR didn't decide to start side swiping them and brake checking them when they gave chase. I can't guarantee I wouldn't have.

If that was the case then I have to agreed with what the RR did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

seamus wrote: »

If that is the correct account of events then any parent would have done the same thing, whether if it is instinct or deliberate is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Viserion

Going by what is in the video - RR driver runs over multiple riders and bikes and then does it a second time when the other riders in the group try to get him out of his car - there is no excuse for what the RR driver did.

But then again... will we ever actually know the truth?
    This kind of story only serves to help the image that the media try to paint of us. They have already spun this as a "pack" of bikers and an innocent family out for a Sunday drive and while that may well be the case, it could also be far from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Mod note:

I am worried that this video is attracting the wrong sort of attention.

We do not have enough information to make a judgement of who was right, and who was wrong.

There have been a few posts with very broad sweeping statements about different groups of people.

Due to this, I am locking this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement