Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new syllabi in leaving cert science subjects

• 30-09-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

hi im female from co galway and I am 18 years old, i want to repeat my leaving im wondering about the new sylabi in leaving cert sciences are they going to have a practical lab based test? thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What new syllabi for LC sciences?
    AFAIK, almost all subjects have been reviewed over the last ten years or so, but nothing has been implemented. The whole job probably needs to be done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickcharnley

spurious wrote: »
    What new syllabi for LC sciences?
    AFAIK, almost all subjects have been reviewed over the last ten years or so, but nothing has been implemented. The whole job probably needs to be done again.
    id just read from one of the forums that it was being proposed maybe? i thought maybe one of the more experienced posters on this forum could shed some light on it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There have been reviews of almost all the syllabi carried out over the last ten years, but the Department have done nothing with them.

They are planning on re-vamping the JC, bringing in project work and doing away with exams but I can't see teachers co-operating with it. I certainly won't be doing unpaid assessment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Draft syllabi for Physics, Chemistry and Biology were made available last summer for review by subject associations and teachers. It is not expected that these syllabi will be implemented for another couple of years.

http://www.ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Post-Primary_Education/Senior_Cycle/Consultation/Science_Consultation_Report.pdf

http://www.ncca.ie/en/Consultations/Senior_Cycle_Science/Senior_cycle_science_consultation.html

But to answer the OP, what is currently being taught in Physics, Chemisty and Biology has not changed from last year and will not change for the next couple of years. The course you did last year is the exact same as the one you will be examined on this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

There are no plans to roll out new LC syllabi in the coming years. The focus over the next 5 or so years is on implementing the new JC and developing Lit & Num in the education system.

Eventually, yes, there will be a overhaul of the LC but not in the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement