Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loads of Tomatoes

Options
  • 30-09-2013 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

I picked up about 5kg of tomatoes for cheap, they are just on the turn, and too many for eating in salads etc.

about 250g is equal to a tin, so I'll make about 3kg of them into run-of-the-mill basic tomato sauce for pasta etc.

Anyone got any ideas what to do with the rest?

decent chutney anyone? I've never made it before.

anything else?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I have a nice tomato chutney recipe, I'm told it's similar to Ballymaloe relish, very tasty in any case! Can post recipe tonight if you're interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

dee_mc wrote: »
    I have a nice tomato chutney recipe, I'm told it's similar to Ballymaloe relish, very tasty in any case! Can post recipe tonight if you're interested :)

I'm not the OP, but I am really interested in the nice tomato chutney recipe, thanks dee_mc!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Tomato Chutney
    Ingredients:
    1kg ripe tomatoes (any size, any variety) chopped into large chunks (cut each one into 6 or 8 pieces) (no need to remove skins*)
    3 medium red or white onions, peeled and chopped (rough dice, I usually use 2 red and 1 white)
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped or crushed
    200ml red wine vinegar
    175g soft light muscovado sugar
    1 level teaspoon ground ginger

Method:
    Put all ingredients in large pot; bring to the boil then simmer, stirring occasionally, til thick and jammy (1.5 hours +)
    Spoon into sterilised jars, cover and seal.
    Store for 1 month before eating; use within 4 months.
    (I've kept this chutney for up to a year and it's been perfect; the flavour continues to mellow over time)

If you haven't made chutney before, bear in mind that the cooking time is only a guideline: I've cooked this one for over 2 hours to get the right consistency in the past, but it depends on the size of pot, the strength and size of your burner, the type and ripeness of tomatoes you use etc. You'll know when it's done, just keep stirring, especially towards the end in case it catches on the bottom of the pot.
    From memory I think this one makes 4 or 5 pounds of chutney; sorry I can't be more specific!

*If you choose to remove the skins, the easiest way is to cut a little cross in the top of each tomato, pop them into a pot of fast boiling water til the crosses begin to 'open' (about 30 seconds) then plunge them into ice and cold water (to stop the cooking process), then the skins will slide right off. But it's not worth the bother to be honest, the chutney is just as good with the skins left on!

Advertisement