Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vaping in public

Options
  • 30-09-2013 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Do you walk around vaping in public places that have a roof and 4 walls.
    Shopping centres, cinema entrance areas, pubs, niteclubs.
    Or do you ask first if its okay to vape there - i.e. ask a security person or a member of staff.
    Lastly did someone here previously say its okay to vape in Dublin airport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Shopping centres and the like i vape away, liffey valley, blanch, jervis etc
    Pubs and the like if i know I'll be back to I'll ask at the bar and if they say no they say no so i go outside and vape in the smoking area.
    In dublin airport its fine, they are aware of it and no one seems to mind. Myself i stay away from vaping large clouds of vapour in crowded areas but thats just courtesy from myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

I think the only place i might refrain would be a hospital or doctors surgery, i was in malaga airport a while back, flight delayed by 5 hours, i hid the fact i was using my vape, in reality i dont think it would have been a problem, i do try to make sure im not blowing in any ones face though, im not actually smoking after all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

I disagree with this and this ye should follow the same rules as somokers and 'vape' outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

I disagree with this and this ye should follow the same rules as somokers and 'vape' outside.

why? We are not smoking and passive vaping doesnt affect anyone unless they're sucking it right out of your lungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭dball

in pubs i find myself going out to the smokers area to have a vape.
    I was in a shopping ctr at the weekend and had a sneaky vape in tesco - but in the main shopping ctr i was fairly conspicuous,

i still feel like im doing something wrong -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

why? We are not smoking and passive vaping doesnt affect anyone unless they're sucking it right out of your lungs.

Neither does farting or belching!

Even as a vaper, if someone started blowing clouds of vapour in front of me in the cinema, or in a restaurant, I would get pissed off.

if someone started blowing clouds of vapour in front of me in the cinema, or in a restaurant, I would get pissed off.

I agree with this and find it very rude people walking around indoors blowing out clouds of smoke. Also what is in this fake smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I agree with this and find it very rude people walking around indoors blowing out clouds of smoke. Also what is in this fake smoke.

It is vapour, not smoke. It is probably less harmful than a Guinness fart to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

It is vapour, not smoke. It is probably less harmful than a Guinness fart to be honest.

It probably is, you wouldn't fart in someones face either though, and as it stands right now theres enough misconceptions/bad press without giving more ammunition to the anti-vape brigade.

Getting vaping accepted as a better alternative is bad enough without some people pushing the limits / tolerances of others unnecessarily.

a) Alot of people don't realize what the vapor (smoke in their mind) contains and assume its as bad as smoke and will not be swayed even with lengthly explanation.
    b) Common courtesy says you don't blow unwanted clouds of anything in someone else's direction just because you know its not harmful.

As far as i'm concerned if I'm allowed to vape somewhere, its them being accommodating to my nicotine habit as opposed to being pricks if they don't. I have been asked not to vape indoors in a few place (Starbucks for example).

Where it comes to shopping centers or family resturants and the like I tend to go outside. While it may be pretty harmless I don't believe we should be setting a new trend for kids to start vaping instead of smoking and if it starts to become the normal thing to see guys and girls puffing clouds of vapor indoors at family establishments the trend is set and the next generation of nicotine addicts are upon us.

Yes but what is in this vapour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

grindle wrote: »

But that report states they vapour is far less harmful not completely harmless it also appears to have been conducted by a group who have a vested interest in saying 'vaping' is harmless to those around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

I am an avid, some may say obsessed, vaper and used it as a replacement for smoking very successfully. For me I don't vape anywhere I wouldn't have smoked. Two reasons...the first is because I really cannot be bothered to explain what I am using and doing every single time..and second because I do not wish to upset anyone in thinking I am smoking. Call me overly polite perhaps.

I guess another reason somewhere in the back of my mind is that I feel vaping where one cannot smoke may just add fuel to the antivaping fire (apologies for poor taste analogy).

As always...only my opinion and I have no issue with those who choose to steam away in public...but just how do you put up with the stupid comments you must get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I vape. I don't smoke. I don't intend to be categorised with smokers be error, or treated like a leper as they are by mistake.

Therefore, I defend the right to vape in any place where it does not inconvenience others (restaurants and cinemas are obvious places where it might).

The onus is very much on premises owners to make their case for not having vaping on their premises, and making such decisions public, thereby permitting vapers to decide whether to patronise those places or not.

I'm not militant about this. I don't blow plumes in people's faces or cause rows. But if I'm asked to stop, I clarify if it is a policy of the place and if it is, I won't be back.

Oh...and as an add on...I don't drink or have a social life so the whole pub thing is of no issue to me. I can imagine it would be for others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If in a pub that I like, I ask first. Generally don't vape inside non-pub buildings. Have vaped in the cinema, do the "hold it in my mouth to allow it to dissipate" before exhaling, so there's less of a plume of vapour that may be visible to others.

Restaurants, probably wouldn't out of common courtesy, but if someone was being a prick, I may whip it out and vape away.

the_syco wrote: »
    but if someone was being a prick, I may whip it out and vape away.

That just reads so, so wrong !

But that report states they vapour is far less harmful not completely harmless it also appears to have been conducted by a group who have a vested interest in saying 'vaping' is harmless to those around you.

Who said it was completely harmless? As far as has been measured by the studies conducted either on behalf of the ecig industry or on behalf of their detractors, no dangerous levels of any toxin have been found.
    The closest they've come was that French study a month ago that claimed large amounts of acrolein were found, but they'd botched the results by dry-burning the coils (which would create acrolein)! How convenient of them to forget to mention their testing methodology for a week or two, just long enough for the media and political ignoramuses to plough through with their hyperbolic won't-somebody-think-of-the-childers bullshīt.

Try studies no. 6, 7 and 8 listed here: http://www.cocktailnerd.com/debunking-the-myth-of-inadequate-e-cig-research/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I'll vape anywhere I used to smoke. I don't make huge clouds of vapor and in pubs I mostly go to the smoking area as that's where my mates are.

Whats the problem? It's rude? So this is about mannerisms now! I thought the smoking ban was about environmental health!

Here's the thing, the more I hear people say that the ban was to denormalise smoking the more I want to fill the place with vapor. It's about normalising vaping and denormalising smoking, not denormalising 'stuff we don't like'

• Advertisement

tommy2bad wrote: »
    I'll vape anywhere I used to smoke. I don't make huge clouds of vapor and in pubs I mostly go to the smoking area as that's where my mates are.

Whats the problem? It's rude? So this is about mannerisms now! I thought the smoking ban was about environmental health!

Here's the thing, the more I hear people say that the ban was to denormalise smoking the more I want to fill the place with vapor. It's about normalising vaping and denormalising smoking, not denormalising 'stuff we don't like'

That's your problem it not about normalising 'vaping' and denormalising smoking it's about denormalising the both of them.

it's about denormalising the both of them.

Since when? The crusade against smoking is [supposed to be] about the crusade against smoking.
    When did it become the crusade against all forms of clouds? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

That's your problem it not about normalising 'vaping' and denormalising smoking it's about denormalising the both of them.

No thats your problem. No reason to denormalise anything at all other than some experiment in social manipulation. And if they suscede with smoking what will they seek to denormalise next? Oh that's right caffeine!
    http://iom.edu/Activities/Nutrition/PotentialHazardsCaffeineSupplements/2013-AUG-05.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I have vaped in the following places (very discretely) no plumes of vapour and nobody noticed & I'm sure this will upset some

A&E Limerick Regional Hospital during a 7 hour wait for treatment.
    The local vets waiting room
    A doctors surgery waiting room
    Cinema

Again, discretely I would vape while rambling around Superquinn / Dunnes while doing the shopping

In my local pub

Was out for a meal Saturday night but wouldn't around others while eating, throwback to my smoking days I suppose

Lucky enough to work for a company that has no issue with it so can vape away all day if I wish

I have vaped in the following places (very discretely) no plumes of vapour and nobody noticed & I'm sure this will upset some

A&E Limerick Regional Hospital during a 7 hour wait for treatment.
    The local vets waiting room
    A doctors surgery waiting room
    Cinema

Again, discretely I would vape while rambling around Superquinn / Dunnes while doing the shopping

In my local pub

Was out for a meal Saturday night but wouldn't around others while eating, throwback to my smoking days I suppose

Lucky enough to work for a company that has no issue with it so can vape away all day if I wish

Here is my problem ye think it OK to just go around 'vaping' because the fumes are not as harmful as smoking where as they are still harmfull. Also the total lack of respect ye show towards others by just starting to 'vape' in places such as hospitals and shops. If yer addictions are really that bad that you can't do your shopping or watch a movie with out needing to 'vape' maybe ye should quit as you obviously can't handle your addiction.

...they are still harmfull.
    Ah! You must be one of the foremost researchers on ecig vapour in the world then, because nobody else has shown it to be harmful. Cough up the evidence please.
    Also the total lack of respect ye show towards others by just starting to 'vape' in places such as hospitals and shops.
    Lack of respect how?

You seem like the type of person who pontificates about the evils of one relatively harmless addiction whilst propagating another.

"Ooh, but vapour looks all smokey and I'm offended..."

Go hop your cafetière off the wall then.

Here is my problem ye think it OK to just go around 'vaping' because the fumes are not as harmful as smoking where as they are still harmfull.

Prove it or shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Here is my problem ye think it OK to just go around 'vaping' because the fumes are not as harmful as smoking where as they are still harmfull. Also the total lack of respect ye show towards others by just starting to 'vape' in places such as hospitals and shops. If yer addictions are really that bad that you can't do your shopping or watch a movie with out needing to 'vape' maybe ye should quit as you obviously can't handle your addiction.

Hope you don't use any sprays such as deodorant, Mr Sheen etc. around the house......more harmful than PG vapour, which is used in asthma inhalers, smoke machines etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I vape when out and about on the street, local pub has several vapers who mostly go out to the smokers area, not always, no one seems to mind at all, generally do not vape in cafés or resturants but have on occasion completely forgotten this and vaped without thinking and so far no one has objected.

I have no idea why anyone would get upset about it, there are so many other more important things to worry about in the world apart from smokers who choose not to poison themselves with cigarettes and vape instead, bit like someone objecting to electric cars because they give off some fumes compared to petrol/diesel which give off what can be measured in tons! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Its the fact that 'vaping' still produces harmful gases but ye want to change the rules when they shouldn't be changed.

Advertisement