Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vaping in public

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I think that 'vaping' is the same as smoking.

the-trolling-is-strong-in-this-one.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

dePeatrick wrote: »
    It' all this "normalisation" of coffee that bothers me, before you know it there will be cafés selling it and people walking around in public swilling take-away coffees......I mean....think of the children.....;)

Next thing they'll allow the selling of Red Bull to children without regulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Ionised wrote: »
    Next thing they'll allow the selling of Red Bull to children without regulations!
    And Theobromine....calling it chocolate and selling it as sweets.......:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

ComputerKing - I think you've made your point and this obviously is the wrong forum for you. This is a thread about vaping in public in a vaping forum and you wander in here on a soapbox and troll away. Take it elsewhere. If you post in this thread again you'll lose access to the entire forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

One note on this actually. A friend of mine objected to me vaping near him because he didn't want to inhale nicotine. I'm not certain how much nicotine vapour escapes when you exhale so I think his request was fair enough. I always vape discreetly and downwards when in a public place. I don't see any value in lording it about with plumes of vapour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

mewso wrote: »
    One note on this actually. A friend of mine objected to me vaping near him because he didn't want to inhale nicotine. I'm not certain how much nicotine vapour escapes when you exhale so I think his request was fair enough. I always vape discreetly and downwards when in a public place. I don't see any value in lording it about with plumes of vapour.

Yeah the demonization of nicotine has become so ingrained that people actually think they will get addicted from secondhand vapor or smoke.
    Who is lording it over anyone though? Apart from the anti smoking brigade who see vaping as removing their power over smokers.
    Has the fight over vaping become a proxy war between the control freaks and the live and let live people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

If one was-is hard smoker/vaper then there might be urge to vape in awkward places,but i dont see the point,one cant be that desperate to walk around shopping centre with ecig in the mouth.
    As for other places,if work environment allows it why not.
    Also Dublin airport yes,since its has no smoking area and flights can be long i think its ok in such situations,until you dont make fog all over the place :D
    Otherwise vaping is somewhat enjoyable thing to do,so doing it while on the move ,doesn't give much pleasure.

scamalert wrote: »
    If one was-is hard smoker/vaper then there might be urge to vape in awkward places,but i dont see the point,one cant be that desperate to walk around shopping centre with ecig in the mouth.
    As for other places,if work environment allows it why not.
    Also Dublin airport yes,since its has no smoking area and flights can be long i think its ok in such situations,until you dont make fog all over the place :D
    Otherwise vaping is somewhat enjoyable thing to do,so doing it while on the move ,doesn't give much pleasure.

This!
    Vaping and walking is no good, I will do it if the nic is high enough but tbh you need to sit and relax while vaping. Which is why banning it from coffee houses and restaurants is wrong. Both these places offer and charge extra for the relaxing while supping part. Unless they can provide evidence of harm or inconvience to others then they should embrace vaping, it might get people to come in more often and stay for that second cup.

i think most pubs,coffee places wouldn't care much,but reason why most wont allow it,or not want it because,of other customers complaining.Theres still little knowledge in general public about e-cigs,and chances of getting someone who will stare at you like your poisoning whole place with carcinogens is very likely :cool:
    As myself im vaping now over 5 months or so,and i can say in time the urge comes down,like before entering shopping centre,taking a drive,or going somewhere id always light up,but now once you vape enough at home,or while driving it takes edge of the cravings,not to think about having a fix while doing everyday stuff let it be hour or two.The rush feeling where you go i need to step outside to get some nic is long gone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Both these places offer and charge extra for the relaxing while supping part. Unless they can provide evidence of harm or inconvience to others then they should embrace vaping, it might get people to come in more often and stay for that second cup.

Perhaps if there is a bigger uptake in Vaping they might provide vaping zones, I personally don't think it should be the social norm to have someone blowing clouds of anything in my direction in an enclosed family setting like a coffee shop.

There are some pretty nasty smelling juices out there that I wouldn't care to get a whiff of if i'm trying to relax and enjoy my morning coffee.

Sure, I think there should be more widespread uptake in vaping from cigarette smokers, but I don't see the reasoning behind promoting it to, or pissing off people who don't have a nicotine addiction, don't like it, or have misconceptions about it.

However, If you can provide evidence that allowing vaping would actually increase their customer base significantly vs pissing people off that don't know any better, you might be onto something.

• Advertisement

Nasty smelling juices ??? Have not come across any yet. Vaping areas in cafés would be a compromise as it was before smoking was banned.

I got some Dekang Mango and Pear juices, they were really bad (O/H banned me from ever vaping it in the house) some Tobacco/Cigar Flavored juices can be real stomach churners as well.

Everyone's sense of taste/smell is different though.

was.deevey wrote: »
    I got some Dekang Mango and Pear juices, they were really bad (O/H banned me from ever vaping it in the house) some Tobacco/Cigar Flavored juices can be real stomach churners as well.

Everyone's sense of taste/smell is different though.

What did she think of the smell of cigarette smoke?

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Nasty smelling juices ??? Have not come across any yet. Vaping areas in cafés would be a compromise as it was before smoking was banned.

Oh their are some, I had a juice that was so bad even I could smell it.
    was.deevey;
    Sure, I think there should be more widespread uptake in vaping from cigarette smokers, but I don't see the reasoning behind promoting it to, or pissing off people who don't have a nicotine addiction, don't like it, or have misconceptions about it.
    ER to encourage people to switch from smoking to vaping their-by gaining a public health benefit. I would have thought that was obvious!
    As to pissing people off, so what? Theirs lots of things people don't like, we don't ban things because people don't like them, we ban them because of harm.
    On a personal level pissing people off is bad manners but as public policy not pissing people off isn't as important as the benefit from whatever it is that they are so upset about.
    Like you I don't think vaping should be promoted but unfortunately the only way people will accept it is through advertising.
    Bit of a catch 22. Of course you could adopt the medical view that vaping is a treatment for a chronic disease but that's ridiculousness, it's a lifestyle same as drinking coffee or drinking wine or whatever your having yourself.

Like you I don't think vaping should be promoted but unfortunately the only way people will accept it is through advertising.
    Bit of a catch 22. Of course you could adopt the medical view that vaping is a treatment for a chronic disease but that's ridiculousness, it's a lifestyle same as drinking coffee or drinking wine or whatever your having yourself.

And I agree, but also that there's a time and place for each of them there's bars for drinking, coffee houses for coffee, the (majority) of their for eating and there SHOULD be Vape Bars ... for vaping or adopt the policy of providing areas in other establishments once there is a demand

They have a few of them over this side of the globe, bit like vapefest I suppose on miniature where you can swap flavours, try diff mods / atty's etc ...

I simply dont think joe public however is ready to accept vaping everywhere smoking is banned just yet, too many people think its already banned/going to be banned/as bad as cigarettes. And above all simply bad manners.

If someone is completely unaware of what vaping is they most likely won't say anything to YOU, and probably not even to the establishment, but rather will be calling up Joe Duffy about the toxic "smoke" she was forced to inhale when she was visiting starbucks for a doublehotchochomochalattewithsugrarontop. And the witch hunt season begins all over again.

Like I said, unless the venue owner can establish there are clear monetary benefits to allowing vaping its going to be a much safer bet to disallow it per company policy rather than law. Operating similarly to the same way as starbucks recently introduced the open carry ban in their shops in the US where they respectfully asked their open carry clientel to disarm before entering although they will not be confronted if they refuse.

It is a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't, situation as without visibility smokers wont know there is alternatives, but allowing it everywhere paves the way for some serious repercussions down the line as well.

Its a tightrope we're walking and its unclear what way we'll land, but being indifferent to everyone who doesn't smoke/vape is disrespectful and just asking for trouble IMHO

Yes that's why I think the advertising ban is a bad idea. I suspect it their to keep people ignorant of what vaping is so they can keep playing the 'we don't know whats in them' card.

I think the obvious and simplest solution is to let each venue set it's own rules. With time vaping will find it's own level in society, whether that's as a mass market consumer good like drink or coffey or as a product that only is used by chronic addicts.
    This is something that needs to happen naturally not be forced by government legislation. Or for that matter by big corporations selling it like a new iPhone. The problem is striking a balance. Most people can do this themselves without government or corporate social manipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Have to say Iim currently having a very interesting experience, on the train when I notice a fellow vaper across from me puffing away, I had never even considered it, curiosity got the better of me and I had to ask him if it was allowed, I think he thought I was an asshole until I pulled mine out. He said he had asked at the station and they said it was cool. I pulled open the window and the two of us are vaping away. This is just class, it's been a long time since I've seen "smoke" on a train.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Ive just read this the first 4 pages of this thread and im actually really surprised by that one poster in particular "COMPUTERKING" .... you are actually trying to rip away at the positive changes people have made in their lives by switching to VAPING (which is in no way smoking).

You should be happy there is an alternative for smokers to take to prolong their lives. Vaping has changed the lives of ex-smokers that were smoking for 40-50 years and couldnt give up.

You clearly have never smoked and that was a personal choice but you obviously dont understand how hard it is to kick that habit. There is no harm in vaping and i think people like you should just kindly **** off and shut up and be happy that more people might live to see the age of 60.

@video ... he's an established troll and I seem to remember an ex-smoker .. anyhoo, we used this and he's stayed away (for now)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoal634OcNXHgCejJD7MgO_PXjvbxFYPrQ32n5eG_XlWOQTg3SrQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

I have vaped on trains, buses and in pubs. I don't exhale vapour though. I would certainly never exhale a cloud on a bus where it might look to the driver in the mirror that someone is smoking.

Let non-vapers get used to seeing vaporisers being used without clouds of what may look to them like cigarette smoke then acceptance for non-stealth vaping will gradually increase.

I never ask even though some might think it rude. I would certainly ask if I thought there were some danger to other's health but I've never seen any credible evidence to support that yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

I saw the other day a major argument in a restaurant,where the customer took puffs from his vape in his top pocket, while sitting at the table, he was asked to leave ,and vape outside, to which he refused, in the end, he left with his partner, very angry.

Vaping in public seems common,i dont smoke ,makes no odds to me, but quite a few non vapours are getting agitated by the sight of folk vaping in bars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

I can accept if a restaurant have a policy already in place and it is not because of some uneducated dick head making a complaint because they don't like the look of it because they associate it with smoking for all the wrong reason
    chrysagon wrote: »
    I saw the other day a major argument in a restaurant,where the customer took puffs from his vape in his top pocket, while sitting at the table, he was asked to leave ,and vape outside, to which he refused, in the end, he left with his partner, very angry.

Vaping in public seems common,i dont smoke ,makes no odds to me, but quite a few non vapours are getting agitated by the sight of folk vaping in bars etc.

Look it's not rocket science, vaping like anything else people do can be a nuisance if done in inappropriate places or ways. Simple rule of etiquette, don't make a nuisance of yourself!
    After that vape on an don't let the nineties ruin it for us. Nineties includes both the concerned Joe Duffy listener and cloud chasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I wouldnt vape in a restaurant. I dont vape in any indoor public spaces really, maybe the odd stealth vape but only when i can be pretty much inperceptible. Cinema sometimes.

I'm a proponent of vaping but were I a restauranter, I would ask people not to vape in my restaurant. I wouldnt put up a sign either bar maybe a token somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

They don't understand it tbf. They see the vapour and just think 'smoke' and you'd spend your life trying to convince them it's not them same. As devices and coils get better it's only going to get worse. The difference between the vape from a starter kit a year ago and now is huge. Maybe the chap in the restaurant was right, don't give in out of politeness and stand your ground. "Just cause you think it's smoke doesn't mean it is, you're going against scientific fact" kind of thing.

A sign is fine...[snip, change of thought]

Hmmm, just wondering about the legality of banning it in places (not that I'm too bothered, but I don't wan't to be classed with smokers. In fairness I wouldn't want everywhere to be like vapefest either :D). Can proprietors just do that or would there have to be a law brought in? Can you (legally) get kicked out of a restaurant for say having terrible b.o.? "Look at the sign, no smelly bastards allowed!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

accaguest wrote:
    Hmmm, just wondering about the legality of banning it in places

I think we discussed it here before , the act of sending vapers out to the smoking zone is a lawsuit waiting to happen .

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

It's all about being a considerate vaper in my opinion. Blowing huge clouds around other people in an indoor space is just bad manners. Whether the vapor is toxic or not the thought of breathing in particles of anything that someone else just had in their lungs is not very appealing.

If vapers continue to vape in a considerate manner then that should help with the public perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

pueblo wrote: »
    It's all about being a considerate vaper in my opinion. Blowing huge clouds around other people in an indoor space is just bad manners. Whether the vapor is toxic or not the thought of breathing in particles of anything that someone else just had in their lungs is not very appealing.

If vapers continue to vape in a considerate manner then that should help with the public perception.
    This. And only this.
    Don't be an inconsiderate moron and vape discreetly. Don't vape in restaurants where folks are trying to eat their dinner. Vape smells. Nicely to you maybe, but not to everyone. Even in pubs where we're accepted I still vape with consideration, blowing onto the floor or way up in the air if I have to. Hell, I even check the winds on the street to avoid massive clouds going in peoples faces, its just manners. Manners smokers mostly don't have.

been vaping for almost 2 years now or so,and def see a trend pick up where i live,of people vaping.

I seen people besides stores vaping while waiting for someone to finish groceries etc,people on the street,in the cars.And that is completely fine- i don't think its inappropriate or bad to anyone,since majority you can see are people that used to smoke and just converted.

Id vape in the pubs,when most people leave for a smoke id just vape at the table blowing smoke down and minding my own business,and so far besides couple looks its fine.

As for vaping on the bus i think its a bit irresponsible-not harm wise but given if its crowded people might not like your juice smell and if you got good device it might be nuisance to most.

The thing i learned vaping is not smoking-and being vaper for a good while now,i can go and enjoy regular activities without really crawing to have a vape any moment i have,since its more of process of taking your time,thus having couple hits here and there is pointless.

so hour or so doesn't bother me anymore.

now i haven't flown anywhere but id imagine if i was to vape on a plane id try to conceal it as much as possible ;)

Main point being if you do want to vape in crowded place either make sure others dont mind it-as no indian clouds all over the place or just use smoking area/bar its only couple steps in most cases-and keeps everyone happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

I just ask whoever is in charge,in whatever estblishment I am in. If they say yes,all well and good.
    If they say no,I go outside. No problem. The thing is, there is no point arguing if someone says no. You will not change their minds.
    I still consider myself a smoker to be honest,I just dont smoke disgusting,manky tobacco

Advertisement