Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amanda Knox retrial begins

• 30-09-2013 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

The retrial of Amanda Knox for the murder of Meredith Kercher has begun in Italy today. Amanda Knox is not there, being in the US.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0930/477250-amanda-knox-court/

The sensationalist coverage of the crime always mentions Knox and Sollecito, and alludes to the motives such as a Satanic ritual / drug fuelled "sex game" gone wrong / jealousy over Meredith being prettier / an argument about the cleaning rota.

Meredith's poor family regularly appear in the press stating that they want to "Find The Killer" and "Bring The Killer To Justice".

Yet the name Rudy Guede is rarely mentioned. He was found by Italian courts to be the killer and was brought to justice, being jailed for the crime.

Rudy Guede was a local man, linked to a number of recent burglaries in the area, who was tried and convicted of Meredith's murder. Rudy Guede's "DNA" was found "inside" Meredith naked body. His "DNA" was found on Meredith's body and underwear. His handprint in blood was on the bedsheets under Meredith's body. His fingerprints were found all over the crime scene. He left an unflushed turd in the toilet and his DNA was found on the accompanying toilet paper. Meredith's body was locked inside her bedroom from outside. Her keys, money, credit cards and mobile phone were stolen. Guede fled to Germany, where was eventually apprehended. Taken back to Italy, at his trial his defence was that he was at Meredith's apartment at her invitation, and he left her fully clothed in her bedroom to go for a dump. Upon returning to her room from the bathroom he found Meredith as she would later be found by the Police, with an Italian man in her bedroom (who had presumably raped and murdered her) who he fought with, but the man escaped. No DNA or fingerprints of this rapist/murderer were apparently ever found at the crime scene. Only Guede's. Even Amanda Knox's fingerprints were never found at the crime scene.

I feel sorry for Meredith's family, but it is amazing how often a sensationalist story about the crime and Meredith's family's quest to "find the killer", and a profile of the "crazy" Amanda Knox is published without ever referencing these facts. There are numerous people who have followed coverage of the case and are amazed to be informed that somebody was indeed convicted of Meredith's murder.

Here is RTE's coverage of the retrial.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0930/477250-amanda-knox-court/

No mention of Guede's conviction. Surely, in the interests of fairness, any coverage of the matter should involve reference to the fact that somebody was convicted of the crime ?

There seem a lot of people out there that simply don't know that the event resulted in a conviction, probably not helped by the nature of the reporting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

What's the point?

She is not there and will never set foot near Italy again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 326 ✭✭Savoir.Faire

Good old Foxy Knoxy. It's the whiff of danger that makes her even more attractive.

You'd never feel so comfortable in her company that you'd let a right ripper go post-coitus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I don't blame her for not going back to Italy. The prosecution case against her and Sollecito was pure fantasy from beginning to end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

meemeemee wrote: »
    He left an unflushed turd in the toilet .

Did the police keep a log of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Wattle wrote: »
    I don't blame her for not going back to Italy. The prosecution case against her and Sollecito was pure fantasy from beginning to end.

Indeed, the prosecution team would make a good living writing episodes for CSI/Silent Witness type shows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Ah, Foxy Knoxy - I must admit to the occasional impure thought. Foxy by name, foxy by nature:)

Does anybody know if Sollecito is attending the new trial? I think he was in Switzerland at one point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Knoxy is foxy.

And that friends, is the only reason this story exists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Surely if she is found guilty she would be forced to serve her time in U.S. prison or be extradited back to Italy to serve her time there.

P.S. she is quite the little fox.

P.P.S maybe Foxy Knoxy and Anna Chapman can get together and make a pórnó.

Big Steve wrote: »
    Surely if she is found guilty she would be forced to serve her time in U.S. prison or be extradited back to Italy to serve her time there.

P.S. she is quite the little fox.

P.P.S maybe Foxy Knoxy and Anna Chapman can get together and make a pórnó.

Not necessarily. The American authorities are on her side and I think it's very unlikely that they would allow her to be extradited. I don't think she can be forced to serve time either in the U.S. The Americans simply won't recognise a guilty verdict and the Italian authorities cannot force her imprisonment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Holsten wrote: »
    What's the point?

She is not there and will never set foot near Italy again.

Exactly! She has more sense than to step foot in Italy ever again if she can help it! Could you blame her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

He left an unflushed turd in the toilet

Dirty bastard. He should have been jailed for that alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Well if they find her guilty she better not leave the US for the rest of her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I am not sure if she killed her but I have a feeling she may know more then she says and will not say as it will implicate her in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭meemeemee

A crime investigator in the US called Ron Hendry gives a great analysis here;

http://www.injusticeinperugia.org/RonHendryindex2.html

It is a good read. But warning, there are some photographs of the bloodied crime scene which people might find distressing.

Ron Hendry is blunt in his conclusion: "Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito would never have been regarded as persons of interest – much less suspects – had the police correctly done their job from the start," he says.

He is being polite. The more you read about this case, the more you see how the Italian police were utterly incompetent, even damaging the crime scene.

It's insane this is still going on. I feel sorry for Meredith's family. But the killer was found, and was brought to justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

she's guilty now again apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

she's guilty now again apparently

Shes never going back to Italy so the retrial was pointless to begin with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Amanda Knox is murdering filth and needs to be in prison. She should not be allowed to live unharassed in Seattle.

Who knew Italian -> English translating is next to impossible!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm surprised. From what I've read the prosecution's case was very weak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Shes never going back to Italy so the retrial was pointless to begin with

yeah, there's this thing called extradition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Muise... wrote: »

Do you really think the US government will play along with the Italians here? They've been on Foxy Knoxys side from the start, there's no way she's getting extradited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Amanda Knox is murdering filth and needs to be in prison. She should not be allowed to live unharassed in Seattle.

Would you like to post the proof you have of this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

gctest50 wrote: »
    Would you like to post the proof you have of this ?

Well she was found guilty mate .... I think the proof is there..

Is there an extradition treaty between US & ITA??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

the_monkey wrote: »

I'm not so sure on that one. The prosecutions case seems quite weak, and the fact that she's been found guilty/not guilty/guilty suggests that they don't really know what they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's all academic. America is never going to let her be extradited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Is there an extradition treaty between US & ITA??

You think the US would extradite her? Extradition only goes one way for the good old USofA

Do you really think the US government will play along with the Italians here? They've been on Foxy Knoxys side from the start, there's no way she's getting extradited.

The US media have been on her side as she gives good copy; the US govt have been remarkably quiet on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

USA will not extradite one of its citizens, not with a case like this where she was found guilty, then not guilty and then guilty again. There is an extraditin treaty between Italy & USA since 1988 but this is mainly to benefit the United States

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

The other guy was found guilty of doing it on his own. Utterly extraordinary justice system. This will be overturned again.

indeed - but some don't bother reading the court documents when they can do their own research on the internet. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

USA will not extradite one of its citizens, not with a case like this where she was found guilty, then not guilty and then guilty again. There is an extraditin treaty between Italy & USA since 1988 but this is mainly to benefit the United States

That will work to Italy's advantage some day. She will find it hard to find a room mate now.

indeed - but some don't bother reading the court documents when they can do their own research on the internet. :pac:

The whole case was a fabrication in the mind of an utterly corrupt, sex addled prosecutor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

The whole case was a fabrication in the mind of an utterly corrupt, sex addled prosecutor.

You're a great lad for asking things be backed up with evidence, where's yours?

let me guess, you didn't read that in the verdict but on some blog?

I would assume you are from the US, by your posts, just guessing.

No offence intended.

Good old Foxy Knoxy. It's the whiff of danger that makes her even more attractive.

You'd never feel so comfortable in her company that you'd let a right ripper go post-coitus.

I know it's been a few months since you posted this.

BUT - I laughed very loudly for about 90 seconds after I read your post. In a room. On my own.

Bravo, good sir.

I would assume you are from the US, by your posts, just guessing.

No offence intended.

How the **** did you get that. I post on Irish issues mostly. I live in Dublin. I am from Tipp.

It's a clear witch hunt. There's a guy in jail already for doing this same crime ON HIS OWN. That's the one they have actual forensic evidence for. In this case there is no forensic evidence and an absurd motive. Besides that what other country finds people guilty after an appeals court finds them innocent? How can there be two versions of the same crime? If you trust the Italian justice system you have to ask which version is true? Guede acted alone? That's what he was jailed for. Or a ridiculous story about an intruder joining in sex games with two students who left no forensic evidence but he did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

A crime investigator in the US called Ron Hendry gives a great analysis here;

http://www.injusticeinperugia.org/RonHendryindex2.html

It is a good read. But warning, there are some photographs of the bloodied crime scene which people might find distressing.

Ron Hendry is blunt in his conclusion: "Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito would never have been regarded as persons of interest – much less suspects – had the police correctly done their job from the start," he says.

He is being polite. The more you read about this case, the more you see how the Italian police were utterly incompetent, even damaging the crime scene.

It's insane this is still going on. I feel sorry for Meredith's family. But the killer was found, and was brought to justice.

This is skewed, some American lad who is siding with his fellow yankee.

It's like a Creationist science video ..

Bollix... :P ... ok I didn't watch it,

It's a tough one to call , no one will ever know.

How the **** did you get that. I post on Irish issues mostly. I live in Dublin. I am from Tipp.

It's a clear witch hunt. There's a guy in jail already for doing this same crime ON HIS OWN. That's the one they have actual forensic evidence for. In this case there is no forensic evidence and an absurd motive. Besides that what other country finds people guilty after an appeals court finds them innocent? How can there be two versions of the same crime? If you trust the Italian justice system you have to ask which version is true? Guede acted alone? That's what he was jailed for. Or a ridiculous story about an intruder joining in sex games with two students who left no forensic evidence but he did.

The guy in jail pleaded guilty and implicated the other two, to get a lighter sentence. They hung around together.

This is skewed, some American lad who is siding with his fellow yankee.

It's like a Creationist science video ..

Bollix...
    Any evidence in particular that makes you think Knox is guilty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Acquitted then a bit of double jeopardy (in most places )

if I was foxy knoxy i'd be staying the f*ck in the states.

something about Italy just makes me suspicious of their legal system.

completely unfounded, but just my opinion

if I was foxy knoxy i'd be staying the f*ck in the states.

something about Italy just makes me suspicious of their legal system.

completely unfounded, but just my opinion

Like Tumbler Bushes gang afraid of international warrants. No trips to Europe or so many other countries. Interpol. Europol. The new passports leaves them screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

How foxy is she, really?

Uriel. wrote: »
    How foxy is she, really?

It would not be wise to have a conversation with her in the kitchen.

Uriel. wrote: »
    How foxy is she, really?

as murderers go, i'd say she's well up there....

foxier than the scissor sisters at any rate. or larry murphy, the evil pox on humanity that he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

even without the hold danger thing she is hot but not knowin if ya will finish or get stabbed in bed be little hot lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement