Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amanda Knox retrial begins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

humanji wrote: »
    I bolded the important part. They can still be argued as it's not been tested before. It all hinges on whether or not the US believes the case to be finished on their terms. As was mentioned before, if it held in the US, the case wouldn't go on indefinitely, so it could be considered a final verdict.

It's all rather moot anyway, as the US are incredibly unlikely to hand Knox over to Italy. They gain nothing by doing so, but will get a hell of a lot of bad press at home.

I've highlighted the important part too!

But yes, I agree, it's moot really - it's highly unlikely she will extradited but I think they will base their decision on political grounds as opposed to anything set in law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That's a certainty. As someone said earlier, it's sad that the victim is forgotten in all the wrangling.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

bumper234 wrote: »
    Because this doesn't happen in any other country :rolleyes:
    Did I say otherwise?
    BQQ wrote: »
    Ah, the ad hominem attack.
    And based on a false premise, I might add.
    There was no ad hominen attack in my post. The police's actions have been demonstrably dubious in relation to this case. Both police and prosecutors often pursue innocent people, they are no more immune to bias and personal agendas than anyone else.
    Verdict was overturned due to the following:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/30/world/europe/italy-amanda-knox-retrial/

More technicality than proof of innocence, it would seem.
    The judge that acquitted them did so quite emphatically; it wasn't on a technicality.

The lack of proof or any kind of coherent motive in this case is quite striking, and it'll be very interesting to read what the judge writes regarding the jury's ruling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

There was no ad hominen attack in my post. The police's actions have been demonstrably dubious in relation to this case. Both police and prosecutors often pursue innocent people, they are no more immune to bias and personal agendas than anyone else.

Well, it reads like you are saying I'm someone in authority and my argument is coloured by that.
    That's an ad hominem in my book.

The lack of proof or any kind of coherent motive in this case is quite striking, and it'll be very interesting to read what the judge writes regarding the jury's ruling.

If you don't have the full facts, I don't know how you can make judgments on the evidence or lack thereof.
    I'd be interested in seeing evidence or motive for the frame-job some people believe is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Well, it reads like you are saying I'm someone in authority and my argument is coloured by that.

If you don't have the full facts, I don't know how you can make judgments on the evidence or lack thereof.
    I'd be interested in seeing evidence or motive for the frame-job some people believe is going on.

Or ideally evidence or motive for locking her up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

"knock, knock"

"who's there?"

"Amanda"

"Amanda who?"

"Amanda Knox" :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

You've misunderstood then - you said the jury had better information than anyone else, ergo they should be trusted and therefore they are right and I'm wrong. That's what I was referring to - an argument from authority.
    Well, I'm discussing the (considerable) evidence that is available and am offering opinions on it. You believe the truth is whatever the court of the day says it is. That's fine. I think the legal system is human and often fails to find the truth, as is the case here.
    There doesn't have to be a frame-job for a prosecution to pursue an innocent person.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I am the one!
    Who?
    Knox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭DexyDrain

Ah, the argument from authority.

They also found them innocent.

The police denied Amanda Knox (a legally mandated) lawyer for 5 days of interrogation. They are clearly not above suspicion.

Not true. They called Raffaele in for questioning on 5th Nov. and when he started to contradict his own alibi they decided to question Amanda on this as a witness, not as a suspect. The translator arrived at 12:30am and by 1:45am Amanda had found out Raffaele had withdrawn her alibi and she then 'confessed' that Patrick had killed Meredith while she covered her ears in the kitchen, wrote down her account and signed it. They then arrested her and stopped questioning her so she could have representation present. She repeated her 'confession' the following morning.

So, she was questioned as a witness for about an hour before she cracked and was made a suspect. This is all documented in her own letters to her solicitors so there's no room for this myth in any rational discussion about the case.

humanji wrote: »
    I bolded the important part. They can still be argued as it's not been tested before. It all hinges on whether or not the US believes the case to be finished on their terms. As was mentioned before, if it held in the US, the case wouldn't go on indefinitely, so it could be considered a final verdict.

It's all rather moot anyway, as the US are incredibly unlikely to hand Knox over to Italy. They gain nothing by doing so, but will get a hell of a lot of bad press at home.

The extradition treaty means the process is pretty much automatic, there is no room for argument if the appeals process has been completed. They have no choice but to extradite. Italy will move to extradite, like they extradited Rudy from Germany before his trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I find it hilariously ironic that the US, which has in the last 13 years routinely engaged in kidnapping of suspects (including one from Italy), paying off African police to simply throw suspects on a plane rather than go through due extradition process, outsourced interrogation to 3rd world states to relieve themselves of activity that is considered human rights abuse if the one doing it is North Korean or Iranian, and took it upon itself to land its troops in an allied country and shoot a suspect dead in his bedroom without giving a clear answer as to how it was all legally done (not to mention carrying out a corpse kidnapping and improper body disposal) , is talking about dragging its heels on extraditing a woman found guilty in a court system that while probably not perfect is relatively accepted by the international community If Knox turned up in Italy next week after having been snatched, drugged, smuggled to Mexico and flown out by Italian special forces you can be sure they would be complaining without the slightest hint of irony.

thats america for you, hypicritical to the last
    I actually couldn't give two **** about the US violating the human rights and due process of Al Quaeda members.
    we all should though, if only to let america know that really their no better, its all good dictating to the likes of syria and whining about how syria isn't destroying its chemicl weapons quick enough all the while being armed to the teeth with nukes
    I just find the hypocrisy hilarious
    i can see why one would but when the likes of america start wars against rogue states (which they supported and used to do dirty work originally) it stops being funny

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Google "Giuliano Migini". Mystery solved.

Interestingly, he himself has been found guilty - acquitted - is awaiting retrial for abuse of office in connection with an older case.

Google "Giuliano Migini". Mystery solved.

Interestingly, he himself has been found guilty - acquitted - is awaiting retrial for abuse of office in connection with an older case.

Found not guilty recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

DexyDrain wrote: »
    The extradition treaty means the process is pretty much automatic, there is no room for argument if the appeals process has been completed. They have no choice but to extradite. Italy will move to extradite, like they extradited Rudy from Germany before his trial.

I'm not so sure about that. In order for Knox to be extradited there would need to be a huge amount of cooperation by the US legal system, there's nothing automatic about it at all, it would be a long complex affair. I can't see the US handing her over, the political will to protect her would be far too great.

tigger123 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about that. In order for Knox to be extradited there would need to be a huge amount of cooperation by the US legal system, there's nothing automatic about it at all, it would be a long complex affair. I can't see the US handing her over, the political will to protect her would be far too great.

According to US legal opinion it's a case of formalities- http://www.businessinsider.com/amanda-knox-extradition-2014-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

She should get herself out of the US asap and to a non extradition country.

28 years? Screw that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Holsten wrote: »
    She should get herself out of the US asap and to a non extradition country.

28 years? Screw that.

What country would take a problem like that.

According to US legal opinion it's a case of formalities- http://www.businessinsider.com/amanda-knox-extradition-2014-1

Good article.

The guy who wrote the article also reckons they got a fair trial;

"I followed the trial, it was slow but I never got the sense that it was unfair," he said.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

From what I've seen from the facts and such its quite possible that shes innnocent. The fact that the Italian legal system has notorious conflicts not to mention the fact that the DNA evidence in the case is shoddy at best as well as the fact that the crime scene was messed up fairly badly makes it difficult to believe shes anywhere near guilty. If anything she acted stupidly in the early days but being a twat doesnt neccessarily make her a murderer. Not to mention the fact that there IS an a convicted killer for Meredith already in jail for 16 years and who was convicted with strong evidence. Take into account shes been convicted with questionable evidence along with being aquitted then retrialled again and convicted with NO new evidence and its quite possible she is a victim in all this.

Fact is theres no strong evidence shown to say she was involved and neither is their any strong DNA links only shoddy links from items that would be picked up by anyone at anytime in the house back then. If their was a solid case in evidence that showed her there then yes I would agree with the sentence but from whats been presented so far it hasnt been solid to stand up to scrutiny so it looks like something else is at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Saw her on american tv this morning and i think she is one shady lady, i mean if i was innocent the last place i would be is on tv, its like she feels the need to be on camera to spout her i am innocent bull**** to the world, now she may well be innocent and if she is whats happening to her is shocking, im just not fully convinced by her

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Saw her on american tv this morning and i think she is one shady lady, i mean if i was innocent the last place i would be is on tv, its like she feels the need to be on camera to spout her i am innocent bull**** to the world, now she may well be innocent and if she is whats happening to her is shocking, im just not fully convinced by her

Why should she avoid the media? If I was wrongly convicted of murder I'd be screaming from the rooftops about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Infini2 wrote: »
    From what I've seen from the facts and such its quite possible that shes innnocent. The fact that the Italian legal system has notorious conflicts not to mention the fact that the DNA evidence in the case is shoddy at best as well as the fact that the crime scene was messed up fairly badly makes it difficult to believe shes anywhere near guilty. If anything she acted stupidly in the early days but being a twat doesnt neccessarily make her a murderer. Not to mention the fact that there IS an a convicted killer for Meredith already in jail for 16 years and who was convicted with strong evidence. Take into account shes been convicted with questionable evidence along with being aquitted then retrialled again and convicted with NO new evidence and its quite possible she is a victim in all this.

Fact is theres no strong evidence shown to say she was involved and neither is their any strong DNA links only shoddy links from items that would be picked up by anyone at anytime in the house back then. If their was a solid case in evidence that showed her there then yes I would agree with the sentence but from whats been presented so far it hasnt been solid to stand up to scrutiny so it looks like something else is at work.

What about her statements to the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭robbieVan

she's obviously guilty , read into the whole case, experts say she has a lot of characteristics of a psycho too

Plus she also has an awful dose of crazy eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Interesting to see how Raffaele Sollecito will deal with prison, if they are guilty he could crack inside.

Wouldn't blame him either - him stuck inside for 25 years while Amanda is swanning about the USA making $$$ on her books.

Then again if he keeps appealing it could point to their innocence.

• Advertisement

apart from all that, what d'ye think of her new hairstyle? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Why should she avoid the media? If I was wrongly convicted of murder I'd be screaming from the rooftops about it.

Nah, she just hears she has been sentenced to 28 yrs and there she is on tv, i just find that very strange indeed, she is a way too cool altogether, and when she gets emotional its so fake, its like really bad acting, i think she gets a great kick out of the media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

One of the worse trials I've ever come across ,

A couple of things if anybody was arrested in a foreign country and questioned for 12+ hours no breaks ,no anything. I'm sure most would do what was asked of them by the authorities ,

Ritualistic sexual killing is what they were calling,sounds like the police watched an 80's movie and decided that's what exactly happened why investigate at all ,

Now book deal I'm sure if this had happened to anyone on here and publishing companies came knocking and offered big money for your story you would turn it down or would you be spending the cash already I certainly would ,

Will she be extradited not a hope in hell ,

The Italians already convicted 10/12 US CIA operative's in absentia a couple of years back for a case involving extreme rendition of a suspected terrorist ,

Doubt any Americans will demand she be sent back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

You've misunderstood then - you said the jury had better information than anyone else, ergo they should be trusted and therefore they are right and I'm wrong. That's what I was referring to - an argument from authority.

Fair enough. I took you up the wrong way there.

Seems pretty logical to me that the people in possession of the full facts are best placed to make judgments.

Well, I'm discussing the (considerable) evidence that is available and am offering opinions on it. You believe the truth is whatever the court of the day says it is. That's fine.
    That's a bit disingenuous. I could just as easily say you believe the truth is the opposite of what the court of the day says it is.
    I don't know what the truth is for a fact. You, however, seem to be convinced that you do.
    I think the legal system is human and often fails to find the truth, as is the case here.

There doesn't have to be a frame-job for a prosecution to pursue an innocent person.

But why would they pursue them when they have a confessed killer behind bars already?
    The only reason I can think of is that they are convinced of their guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

Infini2 wrote: »

Could be something else at work.
    What do you think that might be?

It's not a dig....I just was wondering what else might be at play, in your opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

This is probably where you are mistaken. You see there are extradition treaties between countries, e.g. The UK and the US.....however there are stipulations. The UK, lapdog as she is to Washington will not extradite someone to the US who may face capital punishment.

Leaving all that aside, I have my own theory, and it's just a theory. The US has painted itself into a corner here. Harbour Knox, a convicted MURDERER, and you can't really bitch to others about Assange or Snowden who have technically done nothing illegal, let alone be tried, let alone be convicted;... not being extradited [no extradition treaty between US and Russia, btw]. Send her back to Italy to face 28 years and the US looks like it respects the rule of law and doesn't cum in the face of it's allies.

The Italians don't like to be insulted. Several CIA men were convicted in abstentia in an Italian court for abducting and torturing victims on Italian streets. These CIA men were demanded to be returned to Italy to face trial. No dice from Washington. There's also the American assassination attempt on Giulina Sgrena in which her bodyguard, Calipari, was riddled by American soldiers as she was trying to leave Iraq. Nobody brought to book. NONE.

So.....in my HUMBLE opinion, the Knox thing is just another attempt at levelling the diplomatic "fcuk-you-ery". The Italians barely bat an eyelid when their "Duce" rapes teenagers. They don't like it when Americans take the piss though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Who knew Italian -> English translating is next to impossible!

Just ask Manuela Spinelli. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

That's a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

What a joke of a judicial system the Italians have.

Speaking of extraditions, wasn't it the Italians who refused to send a couple of marines back when they mistakenly shot some fishermen they mistook for pirates off the coast of India.

robbieVan wrote: »
    she's obviously guilty , read into the whole case, experts say she has a lot of characteristics of a psycho too

Plus she also has an awful dose of crazy eyes

Obviously...doesn't matter that there is no evidence or motive etc.

Hitchens wrote: »
    apart from all that, what d'ye think of her new hairstyle? :)

Still would. Hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

What a joke of a judicial system the Italians have.

Speaking of extraditions, wasn't it the Italians who refused to send a couple of marines back when they mistakenly shot some fishermen they mistook for pirates off the coast of India.

It might be a joke, but that's the system they have and everybody has to respect it. And that includes USA.

Whether they will or not remains to be seen.

MonaPizza wrote: »
    This is probably where you are mistaken. You see there are extradition treaties between countries, e.g. The UK and the US.....however there are stipulations. The UK, lapdog as she is to Washington will not extradite someone to the US who may face capital punishment.

Leaving all that aside, I have my own theory, and it's just a theory. The US has painted itself into a corner here. Harbour Knox, a convicted MURDERER, and you can't really bitch to others about Assange or Snowden who have technically done nothing illegal, let alone be tried, let alone be convicted;... not being extradited [no extradition treaty between US and Russia, btw]. Send her back to Italy to face 28 years and the US looks like it respects the rule of law and doesn't cum in the face of it's allies.

The Italians don't like to be insulted. Several CIA men were convicted in abstentia in an Italian court for abducting and torturing victims on Italian streets. These CIA men were demanded to be returned to Italy to face trial. No dice from Washington. There's also the American assassination attempt on Giulina Sgrena in which her bodyguard, Calipari, was riddled by American soldiers as she was trying to leave Iraq. Nobody brought to book. NONE.

So.....in my HUMBLE opinion, the Knox thing is just another attempt at levelling the diplomatic "fcuk-you-ery". The Italians barely bat an eyelid when their "Duce" rapes teenagers. They don't like it when Americans take the piss though.

So, you're using examples of the US not cooperating with the Italian legal system to support the point that the US will cooperate with the Italian legal system.

The US is going to do what it wants, always has, always will. They'd have no problem denying Knox's extradition whilst pursuing Snowden et al.

ebbsy wrote: »
    It might be a joke, but that's the system they have and everybody has to respect it. And that includes USA.

Whether they will or not remains to be seen.

Countries refuse to extradite to the US if the death penalty is applicable. Don't see any issue with the US refusing extradition if the justice department decide this is a miscarriage of justice.

The whole case has been a joke from the start.

Still would. Hot.

she way too pretty to send back yo! ;)

• Advertisement

Hitchens wrote: »
    she way too pretty to send back yo! ;)

Word.

The Italians would probably force her to partake in those bunga bunga parties they have over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

If the Americans had any decency at all they would immediately extradite her to Ireland to serve her sentence with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

So would I. Although Casey Antohny has gone to ground in the states and we all know she did it. That's another discussion though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

She comes across sooooo suspicious in any of the interviews I've watched. Including this week's GMA interview. SOO suspicious.

I haven't even begun to form an opinion about whether she's guilty or innocent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Jimmy444

whirlpool wrote: »
    She comes across sooooo suspicious in any of the interviews I've watched. Including this week's GMA interview. SOO suspicious.

After watching a program on UTV this week (The Lying Game: Crimes that Fooled Britain) I'd be very slow to judge by appearances. It showed that it often turns out that liars are very convincing and people telling the truth seem suspicious.

Has anyone asked Keith Barry? Surely he could solve this all in two minutes talking with her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Jimmy444 wrote: »
    After watching a program on UTV this week (The Lying Game: Crimes that Fooled Britain) I'd be very slow to judge by appearances. It showed that it often turns out that liars are very convincing and people telling the truth seem suspicious.

Has anyone asked Keith Barry? Surely he could solve this all in two minutes talking with her?

I don't need to watch some show to tell me that. But yeah, that is the truth of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Don't know enough about the case to say whether she did it or not, but I just feel so sorry for Meredith Kercher's parents. It's a never-ending ordeal for them, all this to-ing and fro-ing and political nonsense going on. I doubt they'll ever really know the truth about what happened to Meredith, or why, and the blame for that lies firmly with the Italian judicial system.

I also find it disturbing that Rudy Guede, who certainly played a part in her murder if not carrying it out single-handedly, will be eligible for release this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Still would. Hot.

Yeah, but you'd choose a position where you could always see her hands

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Advertisement