Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to be healthy!

• 30-09-2013 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I live a very unhealthy lifestyle .. I'm in school at the moment(6th year) and I only really have a healthy meal is when my parents cook me it.. I love crisps I could eat 3 packets at once.. I get 3euro for lunch each day and I get what I can with that .. But it would be cafeteria food which wouldn't be the healthiest. I then have after school study and then would get dinner at home and then maybe snacks after that before bed. And on the weekend Id be worse, I would have at least one take-out/fast food per week. I really need to live a healthier lifestyle and also i dont do any sport.. only hiking with venture scouts, if anyone could give me advise, please do! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

cook food at home, bring it with you

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MsBradley

cook food at home, bring it with you

Ye I'm going to try that! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

if anyone could give me advise, please do! :)
    I'm not sure what advice you are expecting, it sounds like you already know exactly whats wrong.
    MsBradley wrote: »
    I only really have a healthy meal is when my parents cook me it..

I love crisps I could eat 3 packets at once..

I would have at least one take-out/fast food per week.

And it also sound like you know what you need to do.
    I really need to live a healthier lifestyle and also i dont do any sport..

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure what advice you are expecting, it sounds like you already know exactly whats wrong.

And it also sound like you know what to do

Kinda, I know the problem.. I just don't know how to help myself about it, if yeah get me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kinda, I know the problem.. I just don't know how to help myself about it, if yeah get me

It's really not difficult. Make good choice instead of bad ones.

If you cook, cook something healthy.
    Stop eating 3 bags of crisps
    Get the healthiest option you can from the cafeteria
    A late snacks doesn't have to be junk.
    Stop having a take-away every week
    Start exercising, or take up sport.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    It's really not difficult. Make good choice instead of bad ones.

If you cook, cook something healthy.
    Stop eating 3 bags of crisps
    Get the healthiest option you can from the cafeteria
    A late snacks doesn't have to be junk.
    Stop having a take-away every week
    Start exercising, or take up sport.

I can't seem to get out of my habits, or find a healthier option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You can if you really want to.

You just have to want to get out of the habits and find the healthier options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

I was the same as you in school; used to have about 5 packets of crisps a day, a few choc bars and a 2 choc doughnuts for lunch! I stopped by going cold turkey, it might work for you and it might not, but it worked great for me as I haven't eaten sweets, choc or crisps in 11 years. Basically, whenever I wanted choc or sweets I had an apple. I have never eaten so many apples in the space of a month, but after that month I had lost a bit of weight and was motivated by that! Plus after the month without, I actually didn't want choc etc. anymore. I never have cravings for it now at all. I know it sounds a bit extreme, but if you can't moderate then I figure it's the best way!

TheBellJar wrote: »
    I was the same as you in school; used to have about 5 packets of crisps a day, a few choc bars and a 2 choc doughnuts for lunch! I stopped by going cold turkey, it might work for you and it might not, but it worked great for me as I haven't eaten sweets, choc or crisps in 11 years. Basically, whenever I wanted choc or sweets I had an apple. I have never eaten so many apples in the space of a month, but after that month I had lost a bit of weight and was motivated by that! Plus after the month without, I actually didn't want choc etc. anymore. I never have cravings for it now at all. I know it sounds a bit extreme, but if you can't moderate then I figure it's the best way!

The most rotten thing for me is that I'm allergic to nuts, and can't have apples, peaches, and any fruit with a seed in it :/
    I just find it so hard to go healthy in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I'm no expert, but I'm getting back into my health.

I'm trying to do things that I can sustain, so right now I'm working out three days a week and drinking more water.

I'm eating more salad and cooking from scratch - it's not that hard although I'm sure I will get even better as the months go on.

You should be doing exercise - it's very good for you particularly in an exam year.

Plus think about yourself next year - do you want to be pudgy or buff starting college / enjoying your post leaving cert summer?

If you want to do better in your Leaving, exercise and water are the basics. Then cut down on the sugar / salty / processed food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Sharon mc

You are aware yourself that your lifestyle is unhealthy and you want to do something about it so thats a good start.
    You have a dinner every evening cooked by your parents so you have 1 main meal a day. I assume you eat a breakfast? Thats two meals.You dont need to eat canteen food. My own children gave up on that in fairly quickly as they dont like the canteen stuff. Bring a lunch and leave the money at home. That way you wont be tempted to buy junk! A simple sandwich, salad,piece of fruit, smoothie, yoghurt, wrap,... there are plenty of options. But bring enough so you can have a small snack before study. I assume by the time you eat dinner its around 7pm. You could cut out the snack before bed. Its a habit but you dont actually need it. Any change in diet you will feel hungry or get cravings at the start but this will pass after a week if you dont give in! Drink plenty of water, my own drink about 2 litres through the school day and study. Exercise is important, as is fresh air. Get outside, even if only for 20 mins a day. Go for a brisk walk or jog. Do squats or toning exercises in your bedroom, join a hiking group, there are endless possibilities but it is an exam year so dont put too much pressure on yourself! Start small, one thing at a time, and build up from there. Good luck!

The most rotten thing for me is that I'm allergic to nuts, and can't have apples, peaches, and any fruit with a seed in it :/
    I just find it so hard to go healthy in school.

Yogurts? Berries? Bananas? Pineapple? There are loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

TheBellJar wrote: »
    Yogurts? Berries? Bananas? Pineapple? There are loads.

And don't eat nuts. Can you eat eggs? A couple of boiled eggs makes a good breakfast...with toast, butter, jam and tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

And don't eat nuts. Can you eat eggs? A couple of boiled eggs makes a good breakfast...with toast, butter, jam and tea.

I'd avoid toast and jam myself if you want to kick sugar cravings.

Just eggs, look up bulletproof coffee if you want something different in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Is brown bread toast much better than white? I have been eating toast most mornings and have been assuming it is, but that toast in general isn't that great.

I might try eggs with toast to get a bit more nourishment, but frying them would almost cancel out their goodness I assume?

Very ignorant on these issues as you can see!

Is brown bread toast much better than white? I have been eating toast most mornings and have been assuming it is, but that toast in general isn't that great.

I might try eggs with toast to get a bit more nourishment, but frying them would almost cancel out their goodness I assume?

Very ignorant on these issues as you can see!
    V.little difference, bread is bread and it's not great in general.

Why don't you make an omlette or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I have also been very fussy my whole life, so it will take a bit of getting used to new tastes/sensation.

Even if it turns out to be good, my psychological reaction to new food is often negative automically.

I'll try an omlette tomorrow, never had one before!

I have also been very fussy my whole life, so it will take a bit of getting used to new tastes/sensation.

Even if it turns out to be good, my psychological reaction to new food is often negative automically.

I'll try an omlette tomorrow, never had one before!

Meet your sister. I like what I like - not into fussy recipes etc. and I'm not one for trying new foods at all! But sometimes you're pleasantly surprised :) Sure you'll only know when you try it.

Advertisement