Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A better kind of advertising

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

One little suggestion; on Reddit, if they don't have a sponsored post to serve up at the time, they show a random post or subreddit instead. This benefits users by helping you discover interesting content that you would otherwise not have seen, and it benefits advertisers by making that part of the page more interesting and relevant.

Personally, if I know that a part of the page only ever has ads, I tend to put a mental filter in place and just never look at it. But, if I have seen interesting stuff there before, then I'm more willing to look at ads positioned there too. I suspect most people do the same.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Adverts.ie are currently running one of these sponsored posts in some of the Home & Garden forums; if you happen to come across them or go to take a look, please give us your feedback.

Thanks.

First official (non-Distilled) one is up at the moment from Celtic Ferries on the Homepage - any feedback, let us know here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

First official (non-Distilled) one is up at the moment from Celtic Ferries on the Homepage - any feedback, let us know here :)
    Not showing when logged in.

I saw it before you asked, registered that it was for a ferry company and mentally filed it under "ad - do not click".

The alignment seems odd - it doesn't seem centred like the banner ad or left justified like the main table, although that seems to be visual rather than actual. See vertical lines on the attached.

It also seems de-emphasised, perhaps use a stronger colour?

Just looking at the thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057099113&utm_source=sponsored_thread&utm_medium=homepage&utm_campaign=2057099113&utm_content=thread_title is it being astro-turfed or are they just buttering up Rory for freebies?

If you really want people to click on it, you need for it to be part of the main table, not standalone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Not showing up for me either. Is it turned off through subscriber features?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Shows up for me when I'm logged in.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Not only does it show up, but it comes back every time you visit the homepage (despite clicking the x to dismiss it).

If this is intentional, feel free to disregard.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Not showing up for me either. Is it turned off through subscriber features?
    Subscribers who have opted out of ads will not see it.
    Not only does it show up, but it comes back every time you visit the homepage (despite clicking the x to dismiss it).

If this is intentional, feel free to disregard.
    This is the way it should work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Subscribers who have opted out of ads will not see it.

This is the way it should work :)

Could I suggest maybe making this a separate option in the CP for subscribers? I've ads disabled, but would like to see these threads.

Probably a lot of hassle to implement though, so maybe something more to put on the to-do list as opposed to an immediate necessity. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

nesf wrote: »

If a website with auto playing video ads was a physical thing, I'd pour petrol over it and torch it the instant the first video played.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Spear wrote: »
    If a website with auto playing video ads was a physical thing, I'd pour petrol over it and torch it the instant the first video played.

It's a psychological profiling test, those that can't manage to google adblocker within a few hours of the videos appearing on their feeds don't get taken to the underground shelters during the inevitable nuclear winter that's coming.

Or at least that's the only sensible reason I can come up with.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

"If I wanted your website to make noise, I would have licked my finger and rubbed it across the screen."

Advertisement