Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspicious letter from somone wanting to buy my apartment

Options
  • 30-09-2013 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Got a strange letter today from someone who urgently wanted to buy an apartment in my complex if i was willing to sell, just had a mobile number on it and no return address. It all seems very dodgy to me, any one ever got one of these before?

Was sent in a franked envelope, is there any way of finding out the company this came from?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Whats 'suspicious' about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Yeah we got one of them recently also. Filed it neatly in the waste paper basket! In our case it wasnt from a company; it seemed like it was from someone who genuinely was interested in buying in our complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 balllad21

Do people usually send letters asking you to sell your property?
    It just seems like some sort of scam to me but i'm not sure

djimi, was his name Alan by any chance?

balllad21 wrote: »
    Do people usually send letters asking you to sell your property?
    It just seems like some sort of scam to me but i'm not sure

Depends on the property. Growing up our next door neighbour lived in a very unusual house, and from what I can gather used to get quite regular enquiries about it.

In the case of my current place, it would probably be considered to be in one of the nicer areas of the town; I can imagine why someone would be interested in buying here. It would be fairly unusual for an apartment to come up for sale also.

• Advertisement

balllad21 wrote: »
    djimi, was his name Alan by any chance?

Couldnt tell you to be honest. Ill see if I still have the letter at home (Im fairly sure that we binned it).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I get at least one of those kinda letters a month. Generally they are from estate agents though saying that they have buyers ready to go for houses in the estate.

Suppose it could be legit, i'm just paranoid cause I've never seen anything like it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They're usually from estate agents.

If it were a scam Im not really sure how it would work to be honest.

• Advertisement

@wirelessdude01 yeah initially i thought it was something like that but it just has some dudes name and a mobile number on it, no ref to an estate agent.

Also as there was no actual stamp on it (just one of those printed on prepaid stamp things) made it look like it came from a business address rather than an individual

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I get about one a month in one house and 3 a month in another. Very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

This is one we got the other day. Every 2-3 months we get one.

djimi wrote: »
    If it were a scam Im not really sure how it would work to be honest.

Maybe he just wants to get in to have a look and case the place out!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

If your house is for sale, it could be a determined buyer trying to bypass the EA. Some EA's don't pass on offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I used to get them at home quite a lot, in a block with great location, low maintenace and great rental potential. 'Tis not a silly thing to do, in world where not very many properties are actually for sale.

Advertisement