Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City&Guilds Train2Game Diploma

Options
  • 30-09-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So I was supposed to start my Train2Game Games Development course today, starting with an online seminar in which the course details would be outlined and I would receive my login details to access course material.

Instead I have spent my Entire day trying to call the man that was sending all the emails through the duration of selection, and from what I can tell is sort of the course coordinator. I put my heart and soul into trying to get this course, writing up the CV and doing my best to ace the aptitude test, and as far as I know, I am now one of 30 people who was supposed to be starting this course today.

Done through the Springboard initiative, I thought this would be legitimate, but this start date has been nothing so far but a disaster. No sign either of the email from Train2Game containing my details for their student portal, or a welcome/info pack I was supposed to get in the post last week.

If any of you reading this know anything about this course, or have been told the same thing, please let me know. I've been making phone calls and emails since 10am this morning and still have had no light shed on the matter. It's nothing short of ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paulboy99

They might be a bit behind as they're still filling the last places. I only did my aptitude test yesterday and am anxiously waiting to hear if I got one of the last 5 places going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jaytfitz90

All sorted now, was speaking with Michael earlier today and there will be a second webinar next week.

Looking back on it now my original post is a bit angrier than was necessary, totally understandable that their behind considering the selection process is so precise.

Good luck with your application mate

Cheers, good luck with the course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jaytfitz90

Did you get the course? Im on it and still havent been in touch with anyone else from Springboard/Ireland...

Would be interested to hear from someone else doing the course this way

I got it in the end! Had to start later than the rest of ye so had to catch up. I saw your post on their forum (just realised it's the same person) and went to reply but for some reason my account doesn't have any privileges yet. How are you finding it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Ambit

Hey Folks, any tips on the aptitude test? I've to do one by Monday for the next course but would hope to do it by Friday. Any tips on what to study or practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Muddles

My personal estimation is it will contain mostly Programming, Math, 3D Modelling, It could also cover Game Engines, Web Development, the whole area itself is huge, anyone else that's completed the aptitude test might have some insight as to what was involved.
    I'm also one of the lucky ones, it's a tough call to make though since I've only worked with UDK (Unreal Development Kit) the only thing that was needed was Math, Programming and Game Engine know-how .. first hand experience. (not sure if that helps anyone)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Machinist

I did this aptitude test a few weeks ago. It's similar to an Iq test, with some C++ awareness and games industry awareness questions thrown in. I think the best way to practice would be to do free online iq tests, especially ones with math questions and completing sequences of pictures. If you are into games, you should know most of the questions relating to that but it would be worth getting familiar with what game engines are used for what types of games. The C++ questions are quite basic but if you have no experience, I would recommend that you google beginners tutorials online and spend a few hours getting familiar with the basics at least. There are a lot of good free ones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Did anyone heard back from their aptitude test or application ? ( January one )

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Machinist

Yeah, I got accepted on Friday but they might be still reviewing more applications that will be accepted because the course hasn't started yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement