Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walton Terrace, North Dock, 1911

Options
  • 30-09-2013 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

My grandparents lived at 4 Walton Terrace, North Dock, Dublin, in 1911. I've searched Google maps and a 1912 Dublin map around the docks area and East Wall but haven't seen such a place depicted. Has anyone any idea where this address might be?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Gravale wrote: »
    My grandparents lived at 4 Walton Terrace, North Dock, Dublin, in 1911. I've searched Google maps and a 1912 Dublin map around the docks area and East Wall but haven't seen such a place depicted. Has anyone any idea where this address might be?

Thanks.

Thom's Street Directory will tell you where it is but it might be hard finding one that goes back that far.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_Dock/

It seems the Ward of North Dock took in quite a large area...from Abbey Street to Oriel Street...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The lovely folk upstairs in Pearse Street library have Thom's and similar directories going back to 1800 and before.
    I suspect 'Walton terrace' might be part of another road/street.

**edit I see someone on the census enumerator's form has written 'West Road'. It may have been/still be(?) a terrace of houses on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I took a look at the OSI's historical maps, but couldnt see it. http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,591271,743300,0,10

The enumerator's abstract has 'West Road' in feint pencil above Walton Terrace. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000054652/
    West Road is still there today, and my guess is that Walton Terrace was off it (presumably on the east side of it - on the historical maps, the west side is built up and has the modern street names, the east side is relatively undeveloped)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Walton Terrace is listed in Thom's 1910 as 'off West Road', and consisting of 'Eight small houses' - no names unfortunatly.

the 1910 listing for West Road states it's 'near North Strand'. Some of the premises and houses listed for it may be clues...
    Drumcondra Link Line Railway
    Mr. John Cronin, Anna cottage
    Mr. James Kelly, Fort lodge
    Smith & Pearson structural engineers, gate & railing makers
    Smythfield house (tenements)

• Advertisement

wonder if Walton Terrace may have been some of these houses between West Road and the railway ?

OSI map, c1900

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

^^ Beat me to it! :D

Another possibility OP: There's a triangle of wasteground where Ossory Road joins West Road, between the railway tracks. http://goo.gl/maps/UZii6

The OSI historical maps show two narrow streets in this triangle, lined with small houses. Sadly the streets aren't named, but I'd think there's a good chance that's where Walton Terrace was.

Best of luck in your search!

Walton Terrace seems to have grown by 1917 - it's listed as part of West Road in this edition and now has 17 houses.

Two other terraces listed as part of West Road at that time - St. Valentine's terrace of 9 houses, and Sydney terrace with 23. Also mentioned are the railway, Smith & Pearson, nine houses in tenements, and also 5 'small houses'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Upstairs in Pearse Street Library are the folk to speak to.
    I think they may even have copies of the full OS maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

face1990 wrote: »
    Another possibility OP: There's a triangle of wasteground where Ossory Road joins West Road, between the railway tracks.
    http://goo.gl/maps/UZii6 I'd think there's a good chance that's where Walton Terrace was.

Thanks everyone for the very useful information. I suspect that the above might be the answer, though I'll continue to pursue all other suggestions mentioned by the previous posters.

The interesting thing is that my grandmother was raised in the houses within the triangle of wasteground just mentioned, then known as Coady's Cottages. She married a Scotsman about 1908 and was living at 4 Walton Terrace in the 1911 Census. See these links to the triangle and Coady's Cottages within it.

By the way, the photograph was taken from the railway arch crossing over West Road and looking down a small road, clearly seen on the attached OSI map.

Coady's Cottages, West Road, East Wall (very best).jpg

Coady's Cottages.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement