Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athlone sexual assault incident *read mod warning in OP before posting*

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

I used those two cases as examples where the public, led by the media it must be said, made assumptions and came to conclusions that were completely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Those fcuking idiots should piss off home and allow Gardai to do their job. Standing around in groups and having a laugh is hardly 'showing support for the families'

Inbred idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

lukesmom wrote: »
    Inbred idiots
    Scared and angry people, not excusing them, don't agree with them, but "inbred idiots" is overly harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I don't really get why the massive protests?
    It seems to be "rabble rabble.....child safety.....rabble rabble", but is it not the job of parents to ensure their own children's safety?

Really, you are going to blame the parents?!?

So now its wrong to have kids playing out on a green?! People that commit these kind of crimes are masters at luring kids in. God knows how long the person has been living there and whether any one ever suspected anything about the accused

Have you got kids? Im going to assume you dont because if you did you'd realise they can be crafty little buggers and it is impossible to watch them 100% of the time.

Even out in our garden our 3 yr old manages to go out of sight ...

Just saw mod comment above .... Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

There are always going to be posters on here who express solidarity with the victims and those who apprehended the accused.
    And there will always be those who would prefer that we not talk about it until it has been proven beyond doubt that a crime happened and the accused has been tried and convicted.
    I am with the former group.

There are always going to be posters on here who express solidarity with the victims and those who apprehended the accused.
    And there will always be those who would prefer that we not talk about it until it has been proven beyond doubt that a crime happened and the accused has been tried and convicted.
    I am with the former group.

Can you not do both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Scared and angry people, not excusing them, don't agree with them, but "inbred idiots" is overly harsh.

Ok it was overly harsh. I just cannot stand the mob mentality, half of which might only be there for the crack and to be part of a group. What are they going to gain from if?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I would be interested to know what those in the mob advocating hanging would have seen as appropriate punishment for the mildly intellectually disabled chap in Galway who pleaded guilty to abusing his niece even though he was completely innocent as her mother invented the whole story? Perhaps a posthumous pardoning would have made it all okay when the truth finally came out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

RTE now reporting that a man will appear in court tomorrow in relation to serious sexual assault of the two young girls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I went past the crowds today, and I wonder what they were expecting to be done.

For the benefit of those that haven't been in the area:
    • the crowd were all over the place along the street, with guards out trying to keep the road free.
    • the pubs and chippers along were doing a roaring trade. Plenty of boozing on the street both times I past.
    • they assembled were treating it like some sort of meet up to have a laugh and tell a few jokes. They'd signs written on cardboard, and they made no sense. By the evening, the signs read "Honk your horn" for the cars, and when they did, a big cheer went up and laughing ensued.
    • the majority of the assembled had the look of wasters with nothing better to do for the day. Pyjamas galore on display, plus the sleeveless vests that seem to be popular. Men, women and kids all there baying for blood.

The mind boggles as to what they wanted, or what they hope to achieve arsing around there for the day.

What happened is a disgrace, and the perpetrator, hopefully, gets whats coming. I don't see the need to gather outside the garda station though for a laugh and a piss up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

• the crowd were all over the place along the street, with guards out trying to keep the road free.
    • the pubs and chippers along were doing a roaring trade. Plenty of boozing on the street both times I past.
    • they assembled were treating it like some sort of meet up to have a laugh and tell a few jokes. They'd signs written on cardboard, and they made no sense. By the evening, the signs read "Honk your horn" for the cars, and when they did, a big cheer went up and laughing ensued.
    • the majority of the assembled had the look of wasters with nothing better to do for the day. Pyjamas galore on display, plus the sleeveless vests that seem to be popular. Men, women and kids all there baying for blood.

The mind boggles as to what they wanted, or what they hope to achieve arsing around there for the day.

What happened is a disgrace, and the perpetrator, hopefully, gets whats coming. I don't see the need to gather outside the garda station though for a laugh and a piss up
    So a lot of the dregs of society turned out for a piss up on the streets. Pajama brigade and vest wearing parents of the year all of them:rolleyes: Innocent or guilty the accused isn't going to be safe in his home or walking down the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Amazing when people actually show up to make a stand how they get pissed on by holier than thou posts like this. I wish they all looked like Hollywood movie stars I really do. However the fact is that this is the real world. People with the free time are the ones who protest. The rest have to go to work and or mind their kids etc.

High horse mr rooster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Amazing when people actually show up to make a stand how they get pissed on by holier than thou posts like this. I wish they all looked like Hollywood movie stars I really do. However the fact is that this is the real world. People with the free time are the ones who protest. The rest have to go to work and or mind their kids etc.

High horse mr rooster.

I think his point was if you were there to protest, you wouldn't be drinking in the streets or have signs say honk your horn.

dukedalton wrote: »
    But how do we know there are signs of sexual assault? If there are, how do we know when or how they were inflicted? Or by whom? We don't know the answers to any of these questions. And we won't, until/unless there is a charge and a conviction.

I suppose to be fair we only have to the urgency of the parents and the gardai and the fact that the children were rushed straight to hospital to go on.

It seems since my last post there have been developments of somewhat. Let justice take its course and if the accused or anyone else is found guilty then let the punishment fit the horrific crime that has been allegedly committed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Really?

Hardly the first time somethin like this has happened.

Have such details of the assault been released?

The nearest to this that has happened in recent memory was the attack on the Special Needs girl in Dublin earlier this year.

Details of the assault were given on the RTE News i.e " Gardai say the assaults are at the higher end of sexual assaults" so you can draw your own conclusions,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Man charged with rape of both girls

dharma200 wrote: »
    Man charged with rape of both girls

And on that note, for legal reasons this is no longer a matter which we can discuss.

Confirmation here on RTE news.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement