Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to train a dog to stay at home

Options
  • 30-09-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

We have a lovely Great Dane (3yrs old). We love him to bits and never really wanted him to have to stay at home while we are out working. Now unfortunately some circumstances change and it looks as though we will need to find a way that our Buddy can also survive by himself while we are out working.
    We live in Clonsilla, and so far we always had a nice place for him with a private dog minder. This wasn't very easy to find as we work in the Citi so usually we would be away form 8-7.
    Now Buddy is used to that but due to some changed the minders might not be available any longer and we are trying to find someone else in the area but that's not so easy.
    SO we thought maybe if he stayed at home and we got a dog walker,but does anyone have an idea how easy, or not, the dog would take to staying at home from being with people and other dogs all day?
    Maybe someone had a similar experience?

Any help welcome, we just want to find the best way for Buddy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

2 options in your area

CanineCreche
    DogTraining Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tinyter28

anniehoo wrote: »
    2 options in your area

CanineCreche
    DogTraining Ireland

Hi anniehoo

Have you any experience with a pet staying at canine creche? Was actually for somewhere for my dog to stay cause of a family wedding (already asked but hotel says no dogs) and dont want to use kennels since hes an indoor dog

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

2 options in your area

CanineCreche

Ireland[/URL]

Maybe I'm blind but where's the page with their credentials/qualifications? That always makes me suspicious...but again I could be missing it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

tinyter28 wrote: »
    Hi anniehoo

Have you any experience with a pet staying at canine creche? Was actually for somewhere for my dog to stay cause of a family wedding (already asked but hotel says no dogs) and dont want to use kennels since hes an indoor dog

Thanks

Yes I know someone who has left their 2 collies there a couple of times and has had no problems. But don't just take my word for it, head over to them and visit the place and have a chat with them first. As TK mentioned above ask them what their qualifications are and ask for references if possible too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭stoeger2000

Yes I know someone who has left their 2 collies there a couple of times and has had no problems. But don't just take my word for it, head over to them and visit the place and have a chat with them first. As TK mentioned above ask them what their qualifications are and ask for references if possible too.

Just wondering what credentials the OP should be looking for? Like, what would be the good ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 JoRocket

HI guys,

thanks for that. Our dog actually stays in the Canine Creche normally and we are very happy with them. But they are closed in October for a week and we are trying to find an alternative.

Does anyone have experience changing a dog from being looked after daily to only going on dolk walk during the day or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

how is Buddy personality-wise, with being left alone?
    8am-7pm is a very long day to be left alone 5 days a week.
    I dont know how easy it would be to find a dog walker in your area - if someone would come to your home during the day, take him for a long walk, then home and feed him a treat/snack, that would be good, if he would be happy with being alone before/after that person had been.

It would be worth putting some ads at local vets/shelters/pet shops/local free papers/community notice boards etc to see if you can find someone.
    Maybe you could find someone who would take Buddy in to their home while you are at work - again flyers/ads.

When we are away/on holiday, there is a local woman (who is in need of money), who comes to our house twice/day to walk & feed the dogs. They are alone for a lot of the day, and overnight, but they have each other for company, we leave the radio on & lights come on (timers) at night - so there are people out there who might be interested in the 'job' for the cash...

Advertisement