Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ram upgrade Acer Aspire One question?

• 30-09-2013 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Recently upgraded the OS on a stock Aspire one to windows home premium x64 in order to stick 1x4GB stick of ram in there in place of the stock 1GB

Received the RAM today, before i ordered i confirmed with the supplier that it was suitable for the motherboard. I Opened the upgrade hatch, installed the new stick but when i power up the laptop the screen is black. Fans come on and there is power, just no display.Ive removed the new stick and the laptop boots fine now.

Do i need to upgrade the BIOS beforehand? i wouldn't have thought it was necessary?

Any suggestions would be great!
    Cheers
    :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

What's the exact model? A lot of the earlier netbooks can only accept up to 2GB RAM.

A good place to look up this kind of info is the Crucial.eu Memory Advisor, or their System Scanner if you can't figure out the exact model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

its an acer aspire one 522-c6Dkk.

Read a few articles online that it could accept 4GB as the 2GB limit was imposed by the OS rather than the hardware. Which is why i upgraded to the 64 bit home premium windows.

in particular it was this article here: http://www.umpcportal.com/2011/03/acer-aspire-one-522-upgrade-how-to-and-tests/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Odd that they say 2GB as the OS limit , it's usually 3.2GB or so. If you only have 4GB then probably not worth changing to 64Bitas the picture on that website shows you only get to 3.73GB anyway - and it's less because 64bit instructions and programs are longer. If you want stuff like virtualisation or have 5GB or more then yeah 64bit is the way to go.

usual trouble shooting is to try without the RAM - use CPUZ to id the exact spec of the memory already working in the system, (check if there is a second RAM slot - but I'm guessing its soldered on the mother board ) reset the bios to factory defaults, if there is a later bios AND it lists anything about memory then apply it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Odd that they say 2GB as the OS limit

Nothing odd. That's Windows 7 Starter Edition for you. Of course you can flip the finger to Microsoft and patch the OS kernel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Torqay wrote: »
    Nothing odd. That's Windows 7 Starter Edition
    nooooo burn it with fire !!!!!

or upgrade to XP home

• Advertisement
Advertisement