Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeds in newley sown lawn

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

david-k wrote: »
    Grass seeds don't need water, seedlings do and if you have to water (which I advocate you don't) then one should do it properly, what I mean by a good soak and what you understand it to be could very well be two different things.
    When I say a good soak I don't mean use a heavy spray and water it quickly and disturd the surface of the soil, I mean use a light mist like spray over a longer period of time and make sure it seeps down into the soil.
    We're arguing over a mute point anyway, you shouldn't be watering new lawns in Ireland, full stop:pac::p.

If you got the offensive and abusive PM I got earlier the tone of my post above would definately become clearer.

If you have a problem then report it.
    I'll let the rhs have the last say and then if it suits the OP I'll lock this thread ...

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=424

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭fiestaman

redser7 wrote: »
    If you have a problem then report it.
    I'll let the rhs have the last say and then if it suits the OP I'll lock this thread ...

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=424

I have me information got so thread is up to you to do what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

redser and greenbo maybe you should read david-k's posts a couple of times before jumping down his throat. Everything he posted is correct . All grass lawns are guess what? grass of different varietys . I don't see the best grass growers of them all out watering acres of newly reseeded ground . They also leave some stone in the tilt ,no moss/ good drainage .
    Attached is my back area 21 days today . Ploughed ,tilled leveled , raked by myself sown and rolled and left to get on with it.
    If you are going to water, water deeply otherwise you will risk damaging your young grass .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

bakerbhoy wrote: »
    redser and greenbo maybe you should read david-k's posts a couple of times before jumping down his throat. Everything he posted is correct . All grass lawns are guess what? grass of different varietys . I don't see the best grass growers of them all out watering acres of newly reseeded ground . They also leave some stone in the tilt ,no moss/ good drainage .
    Attached is my back area 21 days today . Ploughed ,tilled leveled , raked by myself sown and rolled and left to get on with it.
    If you are going to water, water deeply otherwise you will risk damaging your young grass .

With respect I think it is you who should read the posts more carefully.
    As I stated in one of my earlier posts there is a huge difference between seeds and grass.
    Newly sown *seeds* need to be kept damp so they germinate, put out a root and can fend for themselves.
    This is best achieved by a light sprinkle of water in the evening (to reduce loss through evaporation) if there was no natural watering that day.

Deeply watering *seeds* will wash them away.

Once you have growing *grass* you water deeply to encourage root growth, lightly watering wont do much and will possibly cause harm.

The last 3 weeks were a hell of a lot wetter and cooler than the 3 weeks that went before, which is when the OP sowed. Of course you dont need to water if it rains!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

bakerbhoy wrote: »
    Finally a voice of reason, also one who can see beyond his own ego and call it as it is.
    Practical knowledge out trumps incomplete theory every day of the week and twice on tuesdays:pac::pac: .

• Advertisement
Advertisement