Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wire welder/joiner

Options
  • 30-09-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Anyone any idea where to get hold of something to weld or join resistance to no resistance wire?
    It's a pain twisting teeny little wires together and I usually make a complete fudge-up of it..ending up with what looks like a tiny hedgehog :D

Needs to be cheap(ish) or easy to build. I'm handy enough with a soldering iron...just rather lazy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

I heard someone got one on ebay for around 25euro. Its a battery operated one. Think its called a zapper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    I heard someone got one on ebay for around 25euro. Its a battery operated one. Think its called a zapper?

Nothing I can see at first glance on ebay..will search more when I get home from work.

Some very good Frank Zappa vinyl for sale though !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I looked that up and it seems that it is a battery powered capacitive discharge micro spot welder you need, searched but apart from DIY could not find one for sale at a reasonable price. Still thinking about this as there must be a relatively easy way to modify something out there to work, like an electric fence. If I get time I will do some more research on it and see. :)

Ah very good, you found the Zapper, I can' see the video for some reason (probably my crap broadband) but Google tells me you can buy one for $25.....:)

Edit: Managed to see it here http://ukvapers.org/Thread-Review-of-the-Zapper-V2-wire-welder?pid=602563#pid602563

Very nice bit of kit, am surprised at how low the voltage needed to weld the wire together is (60V) seems to do a perfect job.

• Advertisement

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Ah very good, you found the Zapper, I can' see the video for some reason (probably my crap broadband) but Google tells me you can buy one for $25.....:)

Edit: Managed to see it here http://ukvapers.org/Thread-Review-of-the-Zapper-V2-wire-welder?pid=602563#pid602563

Very nice bit of kit, am surprised at how low the voltage needed to weld the wire together is (60V) seems to do a perfect job.

The one reviewed is £45 which is a little steep. Will have to investigate further. Can't be that hard to build something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Elbow wrote: »

Little more of a fair price.. Still don't know if I can justify it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Or you could go the DIY route, It's basically a stun gun your making and there's plenty of tutorials online

Elbow wrote: »
    Or you could go the DIY route, It's basically a stun gun your making and there's plenty of tutorials online

Could come in handy when the kids are out of line :-D

• Advertisement

Ionised wrote: »
    The one reviewed is £45 which is a little steep. Will have to investigate further. Can't be that hard to build something similar.

No it can't be that hard to build one, as elbow says it is basically a stun gun.

Wonder would 6 or 7 9V batteries wired in series work?

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Wonder would 6 or 7 9V batteries wired in series work?

Try it... If you never post again we'll know it was a bad idea!

Ionised wrote: »
    Try it... If you never post again we'll know it was a bad idea!
    Damm.....your'e still alive....ah well....ok next time I have 6 or 7 - 9V batteries hanging around, I will.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

I got these after I got fed up putting wires together. They do the job well in the killer and the spiral.

Lucutus wrote: »
    I got these after I got fed up putting wires together. They do the job well in the killer and the spiral.

Aha.. Must have missed these. Couple of questions... What resistance do they come out to, and how long are the nr tails?

Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

I've coiled 5 or 6 so far of the 1.8 type, they're ranging between 1.7 to 2.0, I guess it might somehow depend on how well I'm wrapping the coil, or perhaps they're not all exactly the same amount/length of resistance wire.

The tails are long enough for most anything out there, perhaps 40mm to 50mm either side, (don't have one with me atm!)

Lucutus wrote: »
    I've coiled 5 or 6 so far of the 1.8 type, they're ranging between 1.7 to 2.0, I guess it might somehow depend on how well I'm wrapping the coil, or perhaps they're not all exactly the same amount/length of resistance wire.

The tails are long enough for most anything out there, perhaps 40mm to 50mm either side, (don't have one with me atm!)

Good to know. Thanks very much !

Advertisement