Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal imaging in unheated house

• 30-09-2013 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

I have joust gotten my new build insulated (cavities pumped and sloped ceilings/rafters sprayed with open cell foam).
    Before I get the airtight membranes installed, I would like to get a thermal imaging test to determine any weaknesses in the installation so that it could be addressed before it is sealed behind membranes.
    The blocks have been in place for more than 12 months, so I am not worried about anything drying out & cracking.

I was thinking of running some sort of heater in the house for between 12 & 24 hours to create the required temperature difference between inside and outside.

Any thoughts on the best way to achieve this?
    A kerosene blower heater was suggested to me, but I would prefer something that I could exhaust outside and avoid killing anyone in the house while the test is being carried out.

Thanks,
    Declan.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

A couple/3 of 2kW oil filled heaters should do the trick.

The quality of the thermal imaging camera used is also important as is the experience of the thermographer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭holdfast

you need a min 10 degs difference to get real good pics, between inside outside temps. good camera is important too, but the camera will only tell you there is a difference between one are and the next. a building pro will tell you why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 keyplan

Does anyone know how much a thermal imaging test costs?

keyplan wrote: »

Depends very much on what is to be surveyed, in conjunction or not with a blower door pressure test, whether a written report is required etc.

Perhaps if you described the project in a bit of detail and told us what you want to use the thermal imaging for, you might get a better answer than this.

I am trying to identify structural thermal bridging and insulation gaps in a two storey open planned detached house. Access is restricted in parts of the main roof and there is a large single storey zinc (warm) roof extension to the side of the dwelling. The building is not air tight and it will be too expensive to make it airtight, even to our building regs. I suspect that most of the heat loss is through the zinc roof but the roof build-up is unknown. A blower door test will not be required. Is a written report not included with the survey results? Even a BER survey, with all it's guesswork, provides some sort of written report.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I am trying to identify structural thermal bridging and insulation gaps in a two storey open planned detached house. Access is restricted in parts of the main roof and there is a large single storey zinc (warm) roof extension to the side of the dwelling. The building is not air tight and it will be too expensive to make it airtight, even to our building regs. I suspect that most of the heat loss is through the zinc roof but the roof build-up is unknown. A blower door test will not be required. Is a written report not included with the survey results? Even a BER survey, with all it's guesswork, provides some sort of written report.
    :eek:

I am trying to identify structural thermal bridging and insulation gaps in a two storey open planned detached house. Access is restricted in parts of the main roof and there is a large single storey zinc (warm) roof extension to the side of the dwelling. The building is not air tight and it will be too expensive to make it airtight, even to our building regs. I suspect that most of the heat loss is through the zinc roof but the roof build-up is unknown. A blower door test will not be required.
    Imo, Insulation gaps, structural thermal bridges and conduction heat loss through the zinc roof will not matter a jot if your airtightness is north of 7 m3/hr/m2.

Is a written report not included with the survey results? Even a BER survey, with all it's guesswork, provides some sort of written report.

Your asked for cost of a t.i. test without any other info in your first post. I had no idea if you wanted a single element or a whole hospital building "tested".
    Writing up a bespoke t.i. survey written report takes time, therefore costs money. The ber report is automatically generated by the ber software and is therefore automatically included. In this business you tend to get what you pay for.:)

I've gotten a price from a thermographer. Written report, images and photographs included as standard.

I've gotten a price from a thermographer. Written report, images and photographs included as standard.

As I said earlier, in your opening post you gave no info on the project. We generally offer two levels of survey, one incl full report and the other without. Obviously, there is a price difference between the two.

If you have already gotten a quote, why did you ask here for a t.i. test cost? :confused:

I asked for a quote on here five days ago. As one was not forthcoming I obtained one elsewhere today and the survey is taking place tomorrow. I'm not sure why you seem have a problem with that. You have posted three replys and not one of them includes a quote. Life moves on I'm afraid and the work needs to get done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

as you say 'life moves on'

boards is not the 'forum' to get quotations on thread

Recommendations – seeking or making : Threads or posts looking for recommendations for products and / or services will be allowed but any recommendations should be given by pm only.

thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement