Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any alternative to LiveMocha since they've been bought by Rosetta Stone?

• 30-09-2013 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering as my wife enjoyed using it but its gone down hill since Rosetta Stone took over. So any recommendations to decent alternatives where it works like LiveMocha used to work?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I never used it, but was aware of the take over when it happened. How did live mocha work exactly? somebody might know of a similar alternative if given a description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

you signed up and could chat to native speakers and record speech the native speaker would rate your pronunciation and correct any mistakes you had, you could also add friends! It was a great model and it was free, Rosetta Stone saw it as it's main competitor and decided to buy it out and start charging for the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Seems a pity. italki is quite popular now, and can be used to organise language exchanges over skype, which are free. Also unqualified tutors, that correct you as you go and basically just converse with you can be a couple of euro per hour depending on the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Alex152

I've looked at italki but can't really chat or connect to anymore long term. I'm also part of the Easy Language Exchange community which is going quite well and also Free! Again like most sites, there is a live language chat + video calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Alex152 wrote: »
    I've looked at italki but can't really chat or connect to anymore long term. I'm also part of the Easy Language Exchange community which is going quite well and also Free! Again like most sites, there is a live language chat + video calling.

Cool thanks I'll get her to check it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Alex152

Great :)

I just noticed that they also do group meet ups every tuesday and thursdays from 8pm where everyone comes to together to practice the language they are learning!

See you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Anastasia_UK

TandemSpot.com it's an alternative for practicing your oral skills. They focus on the oral.
    The way tandemspot.com works is you register and you find someone that wants to speak with you. You speak half of the time in one language and half in the other one.

Tell me if you like it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Also there is the paid service of Babble. It is okay for learning the basics of a language, but the user/user interaction seems unstructured.

Advertisement