Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question

• 30-09-2013 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys, just got my BFP today at 4w5d. Confirmed it at the gp and he mentioned making an appointment with the nurse in about 4 weeks for bloods. He didn't mention anything about a midwife. Am I being dense and these are the same things or should I be asking for something else when I book it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Looks like he's going to do your bloods and I'd imagine he's sending a referral then for you with hospital? Did in ask where your thinkin of goin? I wouldn't worry just yet he might do all that when you have bloods done. You'll be close to 9 weeks then

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bingie

He didn't say really but I'm in Cork so don't think there is much choice of where to go. He mentioned the appointment would be for bloods and then sorting the hospital stuff but said it would be with the nurse. I'm originally from the UK so used to the midwife booking in system they use is all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Is he referring to the nurse in the surgery? That would be normal.
    You'd be dealing with "midwives" in the hospital but I think most surgeries have a "nurse" who will deal with pregnant women. I had my first appointment with the doctor and since then, it's always been the nurse who I've seen. She's probably a qualified midwife but always referred to as "the nurse".

When you are back in the surgery, ask them to book you in for antenatal classes when they are referring you to the hospital [if you want to attend them]. Im in Cork too and due on Thursday so have just come through all that's ahead of you. It's pretty straightforward. CUMH classes can fill up pretty fast so make sure you book any that interest you in advance [ante natal and breast feeding being the most important if you need them]. The classes are excellent.

Congrats and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bingie

Ok, That makes loads of sense then in relation to what the gp mentioned. Thanks alot guys. Now I can just count down the weeks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I rang cumh myself and booked myself in once gp confirmed pregnancy at 5wks.

They just said being doc letter and bloods results to appointment which is usually about 12-15wks.

Cumh is very busy so the earlier you get booked in the better,

Congrats and best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement