Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Technology Project 2014

• 30-09-2013 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Over the last century automation has transformed the production of goods and the delivery of services through the increased use of machines, control systems and information technologies. Automation was initially developed to meet the needs of the manufacturing industry. However, continuing developments in automation have revolutionised areas as diverse as domestic services, telecommunications, transport, healthcare and others. As a consquence, the use of automated technology has transformed individual lifestyle choices, work patterns and broader society.

With a focus on modern materials, processes and technologies, design and make a model of an automated system or device in a context of your choice. Interactive in design, the model should capture how the use of automated technology benefits the individual citizen and/or the society as a whole.
    Your solution should include electro-mechanical movement in operation and should also be well presented.

Well they couldn't get much more vague than that :pac: I've underlined some of the terms that I think are important but I don't think we'll be able to draw any inspiration from them.
    My interpretation:
    • Sensors: It must react to stimulus.
    • Motors: It must have some powered, moving component.
    • Control systems: It should start with the push of a button (or even sensor input) and stop by itself. Control systems or programs will be key.
    What do the rest of ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6 Unfortunate

Yes, the brief is extremely broad... I have spent the whole weekend trying to come up with ideas, with very little success! :( I think your breakdown of the brief is pretty accurate.

I guess the first step is to simply decide on an area to look at (eg. communications, manufacture etc.), before going into the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

I came across this site today actually: http://www.instructables.com/

The projects on it are a bit piece-meal and the quality varies a lot, but it's easy to navigate and a brilliant place to draw inspiration.

Advertisement