Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All downstairs ceiling lights gone, but no breaker tripped. Help

Options
  • 30-09-2013 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

This morning, neither my kitchen nor dining room light worked, hall light was ok, and all breakers looked fine. On returning home this evening, armed with some spare bulbs etc, the offending lights were working fine again, all by themselves.
    However, 45 mins later all the downstairs lights stopped working, and still no breaker has tripped. I reset the relevant MCB (breaker) a few times, but no change. Please help with any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Possibly a loose loop feed to the switch or a loose neutral at a fitting...
    Its very hard to diagnose remotely.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Nutleyphoto

Thanks Diggerdunne. So it would be worth my while to have a peep behind all the downstairs rooms light switches in the morning for a loose neutral wire, before I call a sparks to check out the breaker box?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

With the information provided it is not possible to provide a definitive answer.

In simple terms for a light to work it requires the circuit to be complete.
    That means that the supply should come from the live, pass through the lamp and return on the neutral.

The fact that the problem is intermittent suggests that there is a bad connection resulting in the loss of either the live, the neutral or both (loosing both is less likely) to the lights in question.

Solving a problem such as this is normally done by a process of elimination.
    If I were tackling this I would check if there is a mains voltage at the first light that is not working. This can be done by measuring the voltage between the live conductor and earth using a suitable test instrument (not the screw driver type of "phase tester). If mains voltage is present then the problem is most likely an issue with the neutral. As this is mains voltage (i.e. potentially lethal) this should only be carried out by a suitably competent person.

Judging by your posts I would also think it is unlikely that you would have the necessary equipment to deal with this situation. Therefore I feel the best course of action would be to call a qualified electrician to deal with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

excellent reply

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Nutleyphoto

Found the source of my problem guys. Opened the cover of the breaker box
    ( very very gingerly) and saw that the wires coming from the top of the mcb in question are burned at the tips. Time to call in the electrician!
    Ta for all help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement