Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath tours

Options
  • 30-09-2013 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

I've a few friends visiting from overseas and was interested in showing them the sites of meath before we go to a few other counties. Now while I was born and bred in meath! My history knowledge of some of the sites is a little sketchy to say the least!

So I was thinking of trying to book a tour to bring us around and explain some of the attractions. Google brought up some suggestions, but does anyone know if they're any good? Or am I better off brushing up on my history of Tara (which without knowing the history does look like a field with a few mounds!), bru na boinne and the rest?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

If i was in your situation... i would be bringing your visitors around in my own car at our own pace... booking a tour is the lazy way out IMHO and you have to conform to the tours schedule no matter what the weather or nevermind how many people are buying trinkets in the gift shop while the rest are on the bus waiting to go to the next site/attraction! :D

There are fantastic Meath history books in easons or even the local library and worst case you could always wiki the sites you are visiting for a quick history guide.

Your own car - at your own pace is my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

Boyne Valley Activities in Trim might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

You'll get a guided tour at Bru na Boinne and also at Tara and Trim, though Trim is only open at weekends for the winter season. Most of the major sites have information centres or at least a few information boards.

Advertisement