Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320 ci Rear Windows

Options
  • 30-09-2013 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just bought a BMW 320D ci and cannot figure out how to work the tilt out windows in the back!

There are only 3 switches to control 4 windows? The back driver side window is now open and I can't figure out how to close it.

Someone please help me before the rain comes!

Thanks,
    Hugo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What year is it? Mine is 01/e46 and there's just 4 switches either side of the gear knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Should be four switches as stated above.

Stand outside the car, press the lock button on the key and hold it, all windows should close.

If that doesn't work, put the key in the door and rotate to lock, hold in that position and all the windows should then close as well

OREGATO wrote: »
    Should be four switches as stated above.

Stand outside the car, press the lock button on the key and hold it, all windows should close.

If that doesn't work, put the key in the door and rotate to lock, hold in that position and all the windows should then close as well

The, hold the button to close all windows doesn't work on my e46, it only closes the fronts. The rears stay wide open. Whether that's just a quirk of my motor I do not know though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

OREGATO,

Your second suggestion solved the problem. Thanks a million for that my friend... The rain is already starting to come down.

Thanks to everyone else for their input also.

Kind regards,
    Hugo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Out of sheer curiosity, take a photo of where your window switches are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

OREGATO,

Your second suggestion solved the problem. Thanks a million for that my friend... The rain is already starting to come down.

Kind regards,
    Hugo

For future reference you should RTFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

emeldc wrote: »
    Maybe there isn't one :rolleyes:

emeldc wrote: »

If that's all you have to contribute. Then I uggsst you don't post in Motors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Apologies OP. Genuinely no offence meant, just having a bit of craic but apparently that's not allowed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

OREGATO,

Kind regards,
    Hugo

Glad you got it sorted :)

I remember once in my old E46, I inadvertently hit the unlock button and held it (it was in my jeans pocket along with other keys and a phone) Came out the next morning to all my windows being down and wondering what the hell had happened! Luckily it didn't rain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

AFAIK my MCS will roll the windows down with the key but not put them back up with the lock button. Which is the opposite of useful...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

AFAIK my MCS will roll the windows down with the key but not put them back up with the lock button. Which is the opposite of useful...

It's for safety. The windows don't have the detection area around the windows like the regular bmw's have. Don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

TBi wrote: »
    It's for safety. The windows don't have the detection area around the windows like the regular bmw's have. Don't know why.
    Ah right, maybe cause the windows don't have frames at the top like a normal car/door...

emeldc,

How about you get the manual out there and when you find a reference/image of the car only having three window switches, let us all know!

challengemaster, here's a photo.

Hugo.

84gh.jpg

84gh.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Very strange, I imagine the previous owner did a hatchet job on that.

Probably.

But why would anyone bother? If one was broken, would it not be easier to just replace both switches rather than modifying it like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Same here, for 4 switches too + the rear window switch lock button (to avoid people in rear opening windows)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Thats definitely wrong...

I've no idea how someone managed that though. Coupés have two switches like the one on your left. Saloons have an extra window-lock button in between the driver front/rear.

As far as I can tell from google, the one that's on your right - is the one that should be used for the left window on certain saloons. Someone replaced it and didn't bother getting the right part.

Pick up the right part from a breakers, it's easy to replace yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 73,448 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Could the right hand side one be off a boggo spec saloon?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Could the right hand side one be off a boggo spec saloon?

That's exactly what it is. I picked up a saloon switch for my Ci just to replace one of the switch covers, but can seem to remember that the connections were different. Unsure how they managed to get the connection to fit.

OP, your gear stick cover easily pops off by pushing towards the middle, this reveals two screws which when you take out you can lift the whole surround up to see what butchery has taken place.

Advertisement