Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers and Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 30-09-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

After finishing the Leaving Cert last year, I started receiving jobseekers benefit/allowance while looking for a job but I really need to repeat the Leaving Cert, and I know there are certain rules to receiving education while on jobseekers. I was wondering if just sitting the leaving cert exams/orals while studying at home is okay since i'm not actually going to school or if that's against the rules too?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The rules state "Be available for and genuinely seeking work"studying at home will probably not be allowed.Have a look here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You have to be 21 or out of education for a period of time, for BTEA.

I know you can do ACCA (accountancy) home study exams etc while on JSA but I have no idea if you can do the leaving exams. But these are usually 1 evening a week for 3 hours and I exams for 2 hours in Dec etc so very little time.

Call into an office and ask or try the citizens information.

Advertisement