Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a primary school place in Greystones

Options
  • 30-09-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello all, brand new to posting on here! I'm an Irish lady living in New York for the past 16 years and plan on moving home next June with my family to be closer to my parents and sisters. We were hoping to move to Greystones as my sister lives nearby in Bray. I have contacted the three Catholic schools and the Educate Together in the fearful hope they will have a place for my boys! - the eldest will be going into 6th class and my second son 1st. I've heard back from all three Catholic schools, both St. Kevins and St. Brigids have said they could probably accomodate my now 6 year old but not my older son. St. Laurences has told me they are 'anxious to accomodate where possible' so not quite sure where that leaves us but it's my best hope at the moment. I haven't even heard back from Educate Together. Obviously I"m very nervous that they will not have a place for my eldest. My question is what happens if everyone says "sorry we have no place for your child?" I would really appreciate some local insight into the situation - Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

What means of communication are you using for Educate Together? I have heard emails can go overlooked from time to time! In general, I wouldn't think you'll have much issue getting into any of the schools for 1st and 6th classes. There's always a mad rush to put kids names down for Junior Infants in a couple of schools 'just in case' and then the offers will whittle it down - I have yet to hear if a child hasn't got a spot in one of the schools of choice. This year some schools added in an extra Junior Infants class to meet general demand in Greystones. Educate Together have a brand new school opening at Blacklion so it's worth keeping that in mind.

You should re-send your email to Educate Together and get confirmation of what the position is.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

also check with the Church of Ireland school (St. Patricks) - its a very good school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MayoinNewYork

Thank you astrofluff, so far have only emailed the schools but plan to follow up with phone calls to all. St. Kevins, St. Brigids and St. Laurences have been very responsive to my emails, and St. Laurences did send me the enrollment form. I also sent an email to St. Cronins in Bray as my sister lives in that area but my 1st preference would be Greystones - St. Cronins have not responded yet. I've also read that you are supposed to enroll your children in secondary school in 4th class so I've already missed that boat for my eldest! I probably should start contacting secondary schools now too for 2015. loyatemu, I did think of contacting St. Patricks but I t hought they gave preference to Church of Ireland Children so I assumed that school would be harder to enroll in but I will contact them to inquire. Thank you all for your feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I did think of contacting St. Patricks but I t hought they gave preference to Church of Ireland Children so I assumed that school would be harder to enroll in but I will contact them to inquire. Thank you all for your feedback!

they do give preference to COI and other protestant applications but that shouldn't be such a big deal if you're looking for a place in 1st or 6th class (& there's plenty of non-COI kids in the school).

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hungergamer

If you are planning on moving to Greystones you should look at Kilcoole Primary School too. Its a developing school so it is expanding and has more class places to offer than before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Edgar_Murl

IMHO, if you are offered places in St Laurence's you should accept, as it is an excellent primary school. However, you should take into consideration that it is in on the outskirts of the town and you may have to consider how your children will get there, depending on where you decide to live. It is worth noting that houses are quite scarce in Greystones right now, regardless of whether you are thinking of renting or buying.

I wouldn't worry too much about second level education, as there is a good secondary school in Greystones, and many options within reasonable commuting distance. Also a new secondary school is due to open in Greystones in 2014.

Thank you for that - I did notice when I did google maps that it seemed to be outside the town. We do plan on renting and I also noticed in looking at the property websites not many rentals to choose from! Living in NYC we are big walkers and at the moment it takes less than 5 mins to walk to our kid's school so I would love to be within walking distance of the school but I know that may not be realistic - if we did get a offered a place at St. Laurences where should we look to rent that would be within walking distance - are the areas closeby that school nice areas to live? We also heard back yesterday from Educate Together who currently would have openings for my two oldest, but cannot gaurantee as their admission policy is first come first served. They also urged me to send in applications asap for my 2 year old in particular who I hadn't even thought of yet for primary school! If our final choice is St. Laurence or Educate Together I would be curious to hear some experiences with either school. Understand that may be personal so if not appropriate to post publicly a PM would be appreciated.

If you are planning on moving to Greystones you should look at Kilcoole Primary School too. Its a developing school so it is expanding and has more class places to offer than before.

Thank you - I didn't think of Kilcoole - my sister plans on buying a house soon and was recently looking at that area in her house hunt. I most likely will be commuting to Southside of Dublin (If I'm fortunate enough to be able to transfer to my Company's Dublin office, fingers crossed) Would that make the commute much longer? thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Start times vary and can make a huge difference regarding dropping off and working.

The Greystones, Delgany, Kilcoole area generally seems a great place for kids to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rocketman1

Hi Mayoinnewyork! Great to read this thread, I'm in Sydney with my family (2yr&3yr old) and also planning a move home, after 6 years. My son is due to start junior infants and so far I have only contacted Educate Together via email, I got a very helpful immediate response and hoping my son will get a place. It's great to hear info on the other schools, ill also try them this week. We have no link with Greystones but reading some of the threads here have got me very excited about the potential move there. Sorry I have no advice for you. In the same boat, just doing the research from abroad. Best of luck with the move and I hope you find a place for your son, these things always work out so don't worry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement