Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using up courgettes?

Options
  • 30-09-2013 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Any ideas for using up 2 or 3 courgettes? Bought them with the best of intentions of using them but can't think of what to do with them besides oven roasting them. All suggestions welcome :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Courgette Soup is lovely - use what ever weight in courgettes you have plus half that weight in potatoes and 1 onion. (peel and chop the veg), 1 or 2 vegetable stock cubes, herbs of choice, 2 litres of water, put everything in a large pot and boil until veg is softened, blitz in the blender, I then add black pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Cut them into thin slices lengthways, brush with olive oil and season then place them on a hot griddle for a couple of minutes each side. Lovely flavour you don't normally get with courgettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Grate them, add some salt/pepper/nutmeg, leave for a while, drain the liquid.
    Mix with some grated cheddar and beaten egg, stir well.
    Top wholegrain bread slices with the mix, put into the oven until golden brown.
    Optional - a little Worcester sauce into the mix or on top.

Best toast ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I detest courgettes, so haven't tried any of these, but have heard of people grating them and using them in cakes.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/tag-3089/courgette-cake-recipes.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

How much work are you willing to put in?

Easy recipe : Courgette and potato roestis

Grate 1 - 2 potatoes, salt and leave them sitting in a colander to drain for a good while (1 or 2 hours, if you can)
    Grate the courgettes

Mix the potatoes and courgette in a bowl with 1 egg, salt, pepper, if you like a finely chopped onion. You can also add some majoran if you like it.

Add about 1-2 tbsp of corn flour.

Heat oil in a pan, drop the mixture into the pan in dollops and spread them out a bit (think American style pancakes) and fry on slow heat until golden.
    Lovely with a fresh cucumber salad.

More complex recipe : Courgette and mushroom filled Cannelloni

Cut 1 courgette and half a punnet of mushrooms into small chunks.
    Chop 1 onion, and fry in some oil. Once the onion is soft, add the courgette and mshrooms and fry until they turn brown.

Let this coold down a little, then stir in about 2 tbsp pf tomato puree and about 70 - 100 g of finely grated parmesan.
    Put the mixture into a blender and puree until smooth-ish (I like to have little chunks in there). Season, then fill it into the Cannelloni shells.
    Lay the filled Cannelloni into a baking dish, then cover with 1 tin of tomatoes (there's no need to season those, the seasoning of the filling should be well enough), cover with some tin foil and place into a pre-heated oven at about 220 for around 30 minutes.

Test with a knife if the pasta is done. When it is, remove the tin foil and sprinkle about 100g of grated mozzarella over the bake, and return to the oven until melted and golden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Courgette and cheese tart.

Get some strong cheese, blue or goat.

Roll out some pastry (or buy frozen stuff)

Slice your courgettes, lay on the pastry, crumble cheese on top. pour over a beaten egg if you want a quichy type tart, but it's optional. Salt and pepper. Bake in oven until pastry is cooked. Yummo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Cook chicken, a few bits of bacon, onions, mushrooms and the courgette ribbons, make a sauce with creme fraiche, serve with wholewheat pasta, delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Thanks a lot for all the answers everyone, I think pwurple's tart may be a winner. Great suggestions all round :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Had amazing Cheese and Courgette muffins recently. Fabulous appearance and taste.

• Administrators Posts: 53,851 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Some good ideas here, I find courgette incredibly bland - I don't dislike it but I wouldn't say I like it either. Just uninspiring, boringness to me and it goes in to currys etc just for the sake of adding a veg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

We have an allotment and thanks to the great weather this summer we had the feckers coming out our ears including some monsters.

Ones that have not been mentioned are Courgette Chocolate Cake and pickling them for use later on. Next year I will make sure we don't plant as many!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SubCulchie

Made a 'Chocolate Deception Cake' recently which used 2-3 courgettes.

Everyone liked it.. Until they realized what the 'secret ingredient' was.

You're pretty much sorted for ideas there anyway!

Advertisement