Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man with a van or van rental

Options
  • 30-09-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Need to get two armchairs bought on adverts.ie from Dublin to Cork at the weekend, had collection arranged but that has fallen through and the quotes I have gotten for bringing the two chairs down has been crazy, and van rental is coming up equally expensive - any recommendations of companies for either delivery or van hire before I have to forget about the chairs?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Without trying to rain on your parade, unless these are of some special interest to you, such as antiques maybe or an amazing bargain, I'd consider letting them go tbh. There will be no door-to-door service that won't cost you an arm and a leg. I don't know what renting a van might cost for a day but you'd burn a tank of diesel going to Dublin and back in a suitable transit or similar.

The only hope you have is that if the seller was in a position to drop them to a courier depot in Dublin that would overnight them to their depot in Cork for you to pick up via a local man-in-a-van. It'll just be a question of ringing the freight companies in Dublin to see what they can do...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

There is a man based in Macroom who operates a man with a van business. I have used him five or six times now. He is very fairly priced and very pleasant to deal with.

I will pm you his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

there is a sign up for a chap in the garage on the ballinlough road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

mimihops, I have a van, but a trip to dublin and back two weeks ago cost me 15 euro in tolls, plus a tank of diesel (~100 euro). And that's before any rental.

A courier or delivery company is bound to be able to do it for less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

you could try fastway couriers, we use them in work and they are great. just ring and ask im sure they will give you a quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you manage to sort this out, OP, please do let us know how you managed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

I had to leave it in the end as the seller wasn't able to wait until the weekend for collection, but the site anyvan.ie looked promising in case anyone is looking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 morgavan

you can also try www.logideal.ie, looks easy enough. Good Luck ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 bubbletea

Beware of this company if looking to have furniture or any items transported or delivered.
    Got a quote through their website..... read all T&C, so knew I was covered (or so I thought)
    Paid my deposit to Logideals....
    however the appointed transport carrier, called to say he was unable to do the delivery at the appointed time.. I was pretty flexible so gave him the opportunity to offer a different date time etc but he declined...
    I then got on to logideals to get my deposit back, but they are adamant they are not going to return as the carrier fulfilled the task in question...
    the carrier was most apologetic etc but he appears to be out of the loop at this point....
    BUYER BEWARE..... THIS WAS A RIP OFF.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bubbletea

And for the record Logideals will not respond to emails, calls and a written letter recently posted to them.... in their t&c states that when requesting deposit back you must do so in writing?? but as they cut phone off and don't respond to emails, I doubt that they will be responding to my written letter.
    Next one will have to be signed for tho!!!

Advertisement