Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC Advice

• 30-09-2013 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm in my JC year and I want to do generally well without too much work. I'm in all honours classes and I just want to find out what subjects don't require much work and ones I should work on. I go to an all irish speaking school and I'm fluent. I do..

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Spanish
    Geography
    History
    Science
    Business
    Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Okay well I can offer you advice on the subjects I did anyways :)

English - Just practice exam questions throughout the year. Honestly if you have a good teacher all you need to do is focus in class and do all your homework to an exam standard!

Irish - I assume you don't have much problems there! If you do rote learn an essay or answer off like most students do try to tweak it so that it's not similar to everyone else in your class. You'd hate to get your essay corrected straight after someone with the exact same one you know! But since you're in a Gaelcolaiste you probably don't rote learn much!

Maths - Do your homework. Every single night, every single question you're given. Do it. Correct it. Pay strict attention in class and never leave your class not understanding what's going on. Honours maths is probably the toughest course you'll ever come across. It's really demanding and the exam is a bore but it's really rewarding to do well when you put in the work!

French - I hope you have a good French teacher! Learn your vocabulary! Just learn bits and pieces every now and then and you'll be flying. Learn off a ton of phrases for letters, postcards and notes. Do loads of reading and listening comprehensions. Literally do every one you can do! Perfect your grammar too. If you can do this between now and June you'll be doing brilliantly! (I didn't do Spanish but I can assume the same applies?)

Geography - It's all about revising! Make nice simple notes and practice exam papers! It's as simple as that really. It's a really nice exam if I'm honest. It's very repetitive in questions!

Science - What I would do is, revise a topic, make out nice simple notes on it and then do all the exam questions on that topic. You have like 8 months to revise 30/40 odd topics, so it's not that bad really! :)

Business - The same as Science really, notes and exam questions! Try to perfect your accounting because it's really easy to get marks in if you know what you're doing! It comes up everywhere on the papers!

CSPE - I assume you do CSPE too? Don't just assume you'll get an A. Practice a few exam questions and but a bit of effort into your action project. Nobody wants to be that person who predicted an A because it's CSPE and doesn't get one.

I know it seems like a lot of work but it's really not? Just work away at your own pace from now onwards and you'll be flying.

I didn't do the rest of the subjects but the general rule for doing well is:
    - Listen in class.
    - Do all your homework.
    - Never leave a class not knowing what it was about.

If you do this alone for all subjects you'll do relatively well! :)

Go n-éirí leat!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RuairiLafferty

Thanks a million! Do you know when I should start studying and for how long? Thanks for that advice that's fantastic! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Thanks a million! Do you know when I should start studying and for how long? Thanks for that advice that's fantastic! :D:D
    Just stay on top of everything from now! you don't need to 'study' as such at the moment but keep on top of your classwork and do some exam questions and move at your own pace :) Don't leave everything to the last minute :)

Advertisement