Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midlife crisis...at 25

Options
  • 01-10-2013 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I've recently had a bit of a midlife crisis, or a mid 20's crisis. I've suddenly realised that I don't really know anything about music. I don't really have much music. I'd like to increase that and I'd like to get a varied taste.

On the suggestion of people I work with, I've recently downloaded some vampire weekend, rolling stones and david bowie. Happy to report I'm really enjoying them.

I was hoping you guys would be able to help me out, who do you listen to and why? Who would you recommend?

I'd love to be able to put headphones in and just sit with an album. So what albums would you suggest?

I'm trying not to ask "What music should I listen to?". I'm very aware that people have different tastes, but I'd like to sample some of everything.

Thanking you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Why dont you simply go onto Youtube and listen at random ? You have thousands of songs/music at your disposal there.

If you come across something you like, you could delve further into it, or buy/download the album.

Happy listening !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭metroburgers

Now 33 contains everything you need to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'll suggest some artists and include my favourite album by each

Roxy Music (debut self-titled album)
    Brian Eno (Here Come The Warm Jets)
    The Brian Jonestown Massacre (Take It From The Man!)
    Manic Street Preachers (The Holy Bible)
    Joy Division (Closer)
    The Smiths (The Queen Is Dead)
    Kraftwerk (The Man-Machine)
    The La's (they only had one album but it's a masterpiece)
    The Velvet Underground (The Velvet Underground & Nico)
    The Stooges (Raw Power)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

How about Midlife crisis by Faith No More?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It usually occurs between the ages of 24 and 28 and is called the 'Quarter life Crisis'. Remembering those old tunes in school? For some the first carefree years of college.

When you leave the education system sometimes the music has moved on without you.

Listen to whatever makes you feel good whether that be Led Zeppelin or Django Django. 25 is still young you've years of musical exploration to go, don't be worrying about whats current and 'cool' to like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Sublime /thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Radiohead (almost everything, but The Bends and OK Computer are must haves).

Jeff Buckley, Grace.

The Beatles. All albums.

Sinead O'Connor's early albums.

Joni Mitchell's Blue. An absolute masterpiece.

If you like the folky sound, Nick Drake and Beth Orton should be your next stop.

Currently, I'd recommend Sam Amidon, Alt-J and Arctic Monkeys' new album. Also the David Byrne and Saint Vincent stuff.

If you are talking about educating yourself and giving the music some context, YouTube is amazing. Two movements that would be great to explore would be the birth of Jazz, and the grunge scene. YouTube some good documentaries and then get stuck in listening to the music.

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

The Go Betweens - that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

OP the website last.fm was made for someone like you.

Go to the radio section, type the name of the one of those three bands/artists and it will play an endless supply of similar artists. You can work from there.... Another band takes your fancy, download their stuff, put them into the radio search and do it all over again. You'll be surprised how quickly you have a varied selection of music to listen to.

It's all very well having strangers tell you what to listen to but there's nothing like discovering a band/song/album for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Another few to throw in that mixed bag of yours...

Leonard Cohen
    Rory Gallagher
    The Waterboys
    Ocean Colour Scene
    Janis Joplin
    The Lumineers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

One Direction
    Justin Bieber
    Taylor Swift
    Chris Brown
    /THREAD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

If you check out early blues and country singers like Robert Johnson, Charley Patton, The Carter Family, Jimmie Rodgers, that'll get you into heaps of music of singers and bands that were influenced by them

there's lots of reasonably priced blues and jazz box sets available covering lots of 1930s, 40s and 50s blues country and jazz musicians like Charlie Parker, Miles Davis and dizzy Gillespie

then check out the country singers Hank Snow, Hank Thompson and Hank Williams and Webb Pierce and Charlie Walker, Wanda Jackson and Lefty Frizzell

then check out Rock n Roll and Rockabilly singers

then soul, like Sam Cooke and Aretha Franlkin

after that you could check out the likes of Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep,

then Ted Nugent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Chrussell2 wrote: »
    I've recently had a bit of a midlife crisis, or a mid 20's crisis. I've suddenly realised that I don't really know anything about music. I don't really have much music.
    If that's your worst problem, then i severely doubt it's a mid-20s crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

Stevie Wonder
    Tom Petty
    Bryan Adams
    Fleetwood Mac
    Bon Jovi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

here is some more good music to check out

Advertisement