Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tapas - Dublin City Centre

Options
  • 30-09-2013 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Instead of a new thread I'll post here.
    I love tapas, will be in Dublin in November with my wife. Looking fur nice tapas in city center.
    I've been to market bar and liked it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Split from F&D thread & moved here...

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi
    Instead of a new thread I'll post here.
    I love tapas, will be in Dublin in November with my wife. Looking fur nice tapas in city center.
    I've been to market bar and liked it.

Answered your own question there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

cgarrad wrote: »

+1 for Las Tapas de Lola, best tapas I've had in Dublin and it's right next to Against the Grain for some yummy craft beers afterwards, only thing is you really need to book early as it's nearly always booked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Take the Dart out to Howth and go to the Oar House along the pier for some delicious seafood tapas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Salamanca is a long established place.
    The Port House also does good tapas.
    I was v impressed with Las Tapas de Lola. Be sure to book!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The Port House on South William St. get's my vote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 326 ✭✭Savoir.Faire

Take the Dart out to Howth and go to the Oar House along the pier for some delicious seafood tapas.

Do you mean Octopussy? It's beside the Oar House. Oar House didn't have tapas the last time I was there. It had starters that could also be had as a main course.

It's a lovely place for good seafood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

cson wrote: »
    Answered your own question there.

Not really. I like The Market Bar but wondering what the other options in city center for tapas are.

We're only in Dublin from lunchtime to the evening so won't spend 1/2 the day travelling to Howth and eating there. We're going to The National gig in the evening. Maybe if we had more time we would.

cheers for the replies so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

the best place is Pintxo in Temple Bar, Eustace Street. City Centre, easy to get to, no need to book in advance usually, and nice extensive wine-list.

also, they do really good Patatas Bravas for the side and try their own Sangria too. delicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Birneybau wrote: »
    The Port House on South William St. get's my vote.

+1 for the Port House

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The Mulk wrote: »
    +1 for the Port House

Echo this.. Love love love the Port House. Great tapas, great atmosphere, great service..

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

pundy wrote: »
    the best place is Pintxo in Temple Bar, Eustace Street. City Centre, easy to get to, no need to book in advance usually, and nice extensive wine-list.

also, they do really good Patatas Bravas for the side and try their own Sangria too. delicious

Pintxo used to be brilliant, ate there lots. The last 3 times I've been there, it's been dire, never going again. Very bad quality, cheap ingredients. Meatballs taste like something out of a can, patatas bravas (usually my favourite dish) are like mini roast potatoes with barely any sauce, dishes are overly oily...it's a pity because it's a lovely setting with a great atmosphere.

Is Porthouse on South William Street not the same? I know it's the same menu/owners, so surely it's the same quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Is Porthouse on South William Street not the same? I know it's the same menu/owners, so surely it's the same quality?

I have only being to the Porthouse and while I love the atmosphere I really don't like the food, exactly the same as you described.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Salamanca used to be quite good, although I think the quality of the food has gone down quite significantly, especially with the advent of their early bird menu. For what it's worth, I don't think their menu does tapas (or more correctly raciones) as most Spaniards would know them.

I found Pintxo to be poor when I went there - the aubergine in the pisto was barely cooked, something which defeats the entire purpose of pisto, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

cgarrad wrote: »

Really disappointed with this place recently. Staff are spot on but the food was just ok. Still think that Dublin lacks a really top class tapas restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Has anyone been to Indie Dhaba? It's an Indian tapas restaurant on South Anne Street. Going on Friday for a birthday dinner, menu looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Mezcita wrote: »
    Really disappointed with this place recently. Staff are spot on but the food was just ok. Still think that Dublin lacks a really top class tapas restaurant.

There is another Tapas place in Portobello on South Richmond street.

cant remember the name but its supposed to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

liffeylite wrote: »
    There is another Tapas place in Portobello on South Richmond street.

cant remember the name but its supposed to be good.

http://vivaespanaltd.wix.com/viva#!__home

Found it! it is called Viva.

A quick look at menupages and there are actually loads in the city centre:

Gernika tapas - new place on Abbey Street
    Porthouse- Temple bar
    Porthouse -Grafton area
    La Paloma- Temple Bar
    Market Bar- restaurant Grafton area
    Zaragoza- Brand new Spanish place in Grafton area
    Salamanca- Grafton area
    Café Bar H- Grand canal docks ( really good tapas here)
    La Tapas de lola - Village quarter
    Viva - Portobello

Havana- Grafton st area ( Cuban place really but does do tapas)

just outside city centre:
    La bodega tapas y vinos - Ranelagh
    Bella cuba - Ballsbridge

There are also loads of pubs that do tapas. I would imagine Matt the Thresher would be a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

cheers for the replies so far.
    La Tapas de lola and Porthouse seem to be the frontrunners to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Has anyone been to Indie Dhaba? It's an Indian tapas restaurant on South Anne Street. Going on Friday for a birthday dinner, menu looks great.

It's great!
    Very different and not an average Indian.
    Staff v good for recommendations.
    So much on the menu, you'll want to try lots!
    Only been once but hope to go again.
    Apparently good cocktails there also.

Advertisement