Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wont be home for the day.

• 01-10-2013 8:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

As the topic suggests i will be away from my local polling station on the big day, can i vote in any polling station ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

This contains all the information about voting. I think you may have missed the window to change to another polling station.

I am assuming that this information is correct, I may be wrong.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

You can only vote in the polling station named on your polling card, where you are registered to vote.
    There would be total chaos if people could pick a polling station on the day and go there to vote. At some point in the future it may be possible but for now you can't and you have left it to late to make a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

why in the era of digital connectivity can we not have one a complete and accurate electoral roll, and allow people to vote anywhere they find easiest especially in Presidential Elections and Referenda. i.e. one ballot paper needed for each.
    Agreed electronic voting would make it simpler but the fiasco which was e-voting is going to live long in our memories.
    Would voter turnout be greater if you could vote in the local shopping centre, or embassy if your in a foreign land at the time?
    I actually think Sunday voting would best suit most people, especially students, I think friday 2nd best for maximising the vote but to have the polling stations opened form 7am until 10pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Well in my particular house we're talking about 5 votes that unfortunately cannot be home on the day, now if it had been a Saturday we could all of been sure to be home, people have commitments.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I do think weekend voting is Sunday is best, it would maximise turnout methinks.
    And keeping polling stations open to 10pm is a good thing, if you say leave Dublin at 5 you can be home in donegal or cork or kerry in time to vote.

I also think the postal voting system is limited to gardai, army forces, those with physical impairments, diplomats, prisoners (should these be allowed to vote!?), and students but it takes some organisation to register as a postal voter

Certainly in Referenda and Presidential elections, like the french and USA irish citizens should be allowed to vote in an Embassy or Consulate. It would enhance the connection and justify us appealing to them for inward investment, and tourism and gathering like events. Also people in the North if we are to live up to our committments and words in the Belfast Agreement and our Constitution should also have their rights to particpate in the Irish Nation via elections like Referenda and Presidential elections - and hopefully in a future reformed seanad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Just like the system and people we are being asked to cast our vote for the polling system itself is antiquated and not fit for purpose.

I guess one can see where my vote would have gone.

Advertisement