Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem transferring files to Media Player

• 01-10-2013 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭

This issue appears from time to time and I have no idea where to start looking for the problem.

I transfer my mkv's to my Egreat M31B ( Cross flashed to PCH 100 ) via Flash FTP.
    I have been doing this with years and all normally works fine.
    Occasionally when I fire up the pch and let it boot fully, Go to laptop and fire up Flash FTP I cannot connect to the pch. I have a look at what is connected in my network and on these occasions it is not there.
    Normally I reboot my modem ( White Vodafone one ) and also reboot the pch.

This normally allows me to connect,
    At times all uploads work fine at just under 5mb according to Flash FTP. I connect via ethernet.

Always when transferring, every now and then it disconnects and reconnects but finish the transfers.

On other occasions I could get so far transferring mkv's and the connection breaks down. where I would have to reboot both again. I am unsure if this is the pch or modem is the cause.

But, when it does fail as above, I am left with a "corrupt" file on me pch that I cannot delete, this annoys me as my hard drive gets full of junk that I cannot remove and normally have to reformat the hard drive thus losing all content on it.

Anyone any ideas as to what this could be?
    I spent 3 hours yesterday trying to transfer mkv's and every time it failed.
    As a result I now have an extra 7 gig's or so gone to waste.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Abyone?
    This has been happening continous over the past 2 days.
    Nothing will complete. I am ending up with several part files.

OK
    Last night I disconnected the Ethernet cable from my laptop,
    I left the Media player connected to my router and transferred files without a hiccup via wireless connection.
    Though this was a very slow process it did work.

This could put a light on the subject for someone in the know?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,673 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Go to control panel -> system -> device manager. Under network controllers, what ethernet controller do you have? May I guess, it's an Atheros controller? :)

In the advanced tab, make sure flow control is on and task offload is off

Reboot and problem solved :)

unkel wrote: »
    Go to control panel -> system -> device manager. Under network controllers, what ethernet controller do you have? May I guess, it's an Atheros controller? :)

In the advanced tab, make sure flow control is on and task offload is off

Reboot and problem solved :)

Realtek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

vectra wrote: »
    OK
    Last night I disconnected the Ethernet cable from my laptop,

Have you tried with a different cable?

• Advertisement

MAJJ wrote: »
    Have you tried with a different cable?

Yes,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

I would suspect the modem is the issue. Can you borrow a switch and connect through it (leaving out the VF modem) and do some testing?
    I've had problems with the Huawei router lan ports locking up in the past causing all sorts of problems. I'd eliminate that firstly.

degsie wrote: »
    I would suspect the modem is the issue. Can you borrow a switch and connect through it (leaving out the VF modem) and do some testing?

When you say switch, do you mean one of these?
    If so, I have one of those.
    You mean take the ethernet cable from the VF modem and connect through this?

5ports-Network-Switch-Management-Switch-Ethernet-Switch-Esb05.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

vectra wrote: »
    When you say switch, do you mean one of these?
    If so, I have one of those.
    You mean take the ethernet cable from the VF modem and connect through this?
    If your modem is assigning IP addresses to your laptop and PCH you can connect the 'uplink' port on your switch to the VF modem and then connect the laptop and the PCH to two separate ports on the switch. The data path from the laptop and the PCH will now go through the switch and not involve the modem.

Another thing to try is to assign static IP addresses to your laptop and PCH and connect then directly using one one ethernet cable, then perform a file transfer.
    I'd probably try this first just to eliminate potential problems in your current setup.

degsie wrote: »
    If your modem is assigning IP addresses to your laptop and PCH you can connect the 'uplink' port on your switch to the VF modem and then connect the laptop and the PCH to two separate ports on the switch. The data path from the laptop and the PCH will now go through the switch and not involve the modem.

Another thing to try is to assign static IP addresses to your laptop and PCH and connect then directly using one one ethernet cable, then perform a file transfer.
    I'd probably try this first just to eliminate potential problems in your current setup.

That seemed to work though I connect Laptop>Switch>PCH

Will keep you posted as to how it continues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement