Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stinson Hunter (Pedophile catcher)

• 01-10-2013 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I found this after reading another thread:

http://stinson-hunter.com/

Basically, the journalist pretends to be an underage girl and proceeds to arrange sex with a man. The journalist arranges for the "girl" and the man to meet somewhere and of course, when the perv turns up, he is greeted by the journalist.

What is your opinion on this type of sting AH? Do you think its right? Would the pervert have arranged to meet a real victim if this journalist hadn't got there first?

One question I have that I cant seem to find an answer for in the interweb, have the guys actually done anything wrong? I know it is illegal to engage in sexual conversation with someone underage, I know it is illegal to send naked pics of yourself to someone underage, but these guys haven't done that. They thought they were, but in reality they were talking to an adult journalist.

My personal opinion, I think these kinds of stings are a good thing, they put fear into perverts that may be thinking of doing something like this for real, which can only be a good thing. If these kind of sting operations help to reduce underage abuse, then they are worth it. Even though the pervs that got caught didn't get to abuse a child, its good to know what they are capable of, given that some of them on this site are in positions of trust (Police, Teachers) etc...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

One question I have that I cant seem to find an answer for in the interweb, have the guys actually done anything wrong? I know it is illegal to engage in sexual conversation with someone underage, I know it is illegal to send naked pics of yourself to someone underage, but these guys haven't done that. They thought they were, but in reality they were talking to an adult journalist.

I look on it the same as some crazy arab buying a bag of maula from some national security type posing as an arms dealer, thinking it's plastic explosives. It's not illegal to buy or sell maula, but I wouldn't like to rely on that in court!
    If some sleaze bag is meeting a person, who he thinks is a child, for sex, then he deserves whatever he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

If some sleaze bag is meeting a person, who he thinks is a child, for sex, then he deserves whatever he gets.

Exactly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Is Stinson Hunter his name, or is a Stinson a new word for nonce.

I never liked that How I Met Your Mother rubbish but who knew the main guy was a wordplay name :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

I never liked that How I Met Your Mother rubbish but who knew the main guy was a wordplay name :pac:

?????? :eek: do explain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

?????? :eek: do explain!

The guys name in How I Met Your Mother is Barney Stinson.

• Advertisement

The guys name is Barney Stinson.

ah ok, when he said main guy i thought he meant ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Entrapment/stings are lazy journalism.

Instead of catching someone doing something dodgy, you are leading them into doing something dodgy. I find the whole idea terribly seedy and I've no respect for the people who trick others into a story (make no mistake about this part: these people aren't social crusaders against paedophiles, they are simply trying to invent a story because they can't find one in other places).

We'll never know if the people on the other side of this carry-on would have done something. In this case, it's an extreme example of a sting and one which a lot of people will have no problem with the means but it is something I have a major problem with and I do not support it.

That said, they can do some good if the potential paedophile get a right shock and it scares them away. If the potential paedophile doesn't do anything illegal, they shouldn't get into any more trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

ah ok, when he said main guy i thought he meant ted.

Well, I dunno, best known I guess I meant.

I've only seen it twice, god it is ****ing woeful stuff.

Instead of catching someone doing something dodgy, you are leading them into doing something dodgy. I find the whole idea terribly seedy and I've no respect for the people who trick others into a story (make no mistake about this part: these people aren't social crusaders against paedophiles, they are simply trying to invent a story because they can't find one in other places).

We'll never know if the people on the other side of this carry-on would have done something. In this case, it's an extreme example of a sting and one which a lot of people will have no problem with the means but it is something I have a major problem with and I do not support it.

That said, they can do some good if the potential paedophile get a right shock and it scares them away. If the potential paedophile doesn't do anything illegal, they shouldn't get into any more trouble.

im not up on the law of it so dont shoot me down if wrong but isnt the grooming part considered a crime?

Well, I dunno, best known I guess I meant.

I've only seen it twice, god it is ****ing woeful stuff.

i agree. barney is good for a stoned giggle now and again but thats about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

[QUOTE=Kidchameleon;86800432]I found this after reading another thread:

http://stinson-hunter.com/

Basically, the journalist pretends to be an underage girl and proceeds to arrange sex with a man. The journalist arranges for the "girl" and the man to meet somewhere and of course, when the perv turns up, he is greeted by the journalist.

What is your opinion on this type of sting AH? Do you think its right? Would the pervert have arranged to meet a real victim if this journalist hadn't got there first?

My personal opinion, I think these kinds of stings are a good thing, they put fear into perverts that may be thinking of doing something like this for real, which can only be a good thing. If these kind of sting operations help to reduce underage abuse, then they are worth it. Even though the pervs that got caught didn't get to abuse a child, its good to know what they are capable of, given that some of them on this site are in positions of trust (Police, Teachers) etc...[/QUOTE]

This Stinson Hunter sounds like a "Kid Chameleon" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

im not up on the law of it so dont shoot me down if wrong but isnt the grooming part considered a crime?

Well if you look at a few of the videos, he generally explains to them "how much trouble they are in". He explains that it is an offense to groom somebody who is underage. But is it a lesser offense to groom someone who is pretending to be underage? Is it an offense at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Yeah if his real name is Hunter then its a crazy coincidence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Total rip off of To Catch A Predator with Chriiiiiiiissssss Hansssssoooonnnn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventy-paedophile-hunter-says-quit-6068327
    ‘Paedophile hunter’ says he may quit after suicide of man targeted by copycats

Vigilante Stinson Hunter has hit out at 'copycats', dubbing their work 'a complete shambles'
    A vigilante whose actions has led to the arrest of several suspected sex offenders says he is considering whether to carry on after the suicide of a man who was targeted by another group.

Self-styled ‘paedophile hunter’ Stinson Hunter – who is based in the Coventry area – spoke out after the 29-year-old from Hinckley took his life following a sting operation by copycat group Letzgo Hunting.

The group pretended to be a 14-year-old girl in conversations with the man before meeting him and filming the confrontation.

The 29-year-old was arrested by police and released on bail but four days later he took his own life.

Well if you look at a few of the videos, he generally explains to them "how much trouble they are in". He explains that it is an offense to groom somebody who is underage. But is it a lesser offense to groom someone who is pretending to be underage? Is it an offense at all?

im gussing as the guy is a legit journo he's playing above the law or at least flirting with it. but i have to say, some of the guys on it are damn creepy. the guy that worked in I.T. for the cops especially worried me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't know either but if this guy is so concerned about these potential paedophiles, why doesn't he quietly send all the details onto the police? Nope, he just wants all the headlines for himself.

And like I said, this example of a sting operation is a more emotive one so very few people will call the guy out on it. However, to me it's no different to dressing up as an oil sheikh and asking a football manager which clubs to invest in and would he want to be the manager or deliberately leading an innocent conversation with a celebrity to the topic of drugs and then plastering the details all over the front pages. It's deception, plain and simple.

he just wants all the headlines for himself.

no doubt. everything else can be turned into entertainment, it was only a matter of time before pedophilia was too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Extremely dangerous fake vigilante behaviour; If it was about helping, he'd be working with the Police or at least providing them information quietly; Instead, he has to go all the way filming the meeting and posting everything online. Fame seeking of the worst kind - potentially at the expense of other people, since he already spawned "copycats" and led to the suicide of a man (which was arrested and subsequently released with no charges).

In all fairness I don't see how the Police have no issue with his "operations" which could be seen as encouraging a crime - and if we agree that there is no crime to begin with as he's only pretending, then the whole concept is moot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Ush1 wrote: »
    Total rip off of To Catch A Predator with Chriiiiiiiissssss Hansssssoooonnnn.

Why don't you take a seat right over there

• Advertisement

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Why don't you take a seat right over there

''I just came over to tell her it wasn't right''

''Why did you bring the lube and condoms then?''.....

Its amazing how the guys revert to the same answers.

''Why did you bring the lube and condoms then?''.....

scouts motto - be prepared!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

They don't deserve punishment, they deserve gunishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Im gussing as the guy is a legit journo

Oxymoron no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

As I understand it they do not arrange to meet with the paedophiles, the simply frequent sites used by young teens and pretend to be teens themselves, setting up profiles. Kind of like a honey trap. They let the paedophiles do all the running and arrange the meetings, then they turn up and film the meeting. Them arranging the meeting would be considered entrapment.

I have seen one or two of these videso and the Journalist advised the paedophile to turn himself in and told him that he was going to give the film of the meeting and the transcripts of the conversations to the police.

These guys turned up expecting to meet under age teens/children and make no mistake, if it had of been a teen/child instead of a Journalist, then god knows what would have happened.

As for just reporting to the Police. There is no guarantee that the police would set up a sting to meet the paedophile. And even if they do, what is likely to happen? Paedophile charged and let out on bail awaiting trial, possibly only to carry on.

I see it as providing a service as these days sex offenders are being released from jail early and secretly housed in communities without the residents being informed of the possible risks. If they save even 1 child from going through what the 9yr old and 6yr old in Athlone went through, then I have no issues with what they are doing.

As for this scaring off a paedophile and stopping them from arranging to meets, I don't see this happening. The only thing I think this would do is have the paedophile be more cautious when turning up to meets.

I see it as providing a service as these days sex offenders are being released from jail early and secretly housed in communities without the residents being informed of the possible risks. If they save even 1 child from going through what the 9yr old and 6yr old in Athlone went through, then I have no issues with what they are doing.

What happens when some innocent guy gets beaten half to death(or worse) because he is mistaken for the groomer by the vigilantes, and/or gets his name/face in the paper also for being mistaken by the journalist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

syklops wrote: »
    What happens when some innocent guy gets beaten half to death(or worse) because he is mistaken for the groomer by the vigilantes, and/or gets his name/face in the paper also for being mistaken by the journalist?

I seen two of these videos. In each the meeting place was an out of the way place not some built up area with loads of folks around, so it was pretty obvious that the paedophile who turned up was the guy from the chat room. He was also very cagey in keeping watch on the location he arranged to meet the teen.

The guy who turned up in place of a teen was non aggressive, non confrontational and spoke courteously to the paedophile. He asked if he was <username> and if he was expecting to meet <teen user name>. He explained that grooming underage teens/children was a crime and that he believed that he was a paedophile and guilty of grooming underage teens/children. He advised that he was turning the video of their meeting along with the transcripts of their conversations over to the police and advised the peadophile to turn himself in rather than be pulled out of his house by the police in front of his wife and kids (if he had any)

In both cases the peadophine made all the running and picked the meet up place. When confronted they gave some bullsh1t story about being lonely and just wanted to "talk" and eventually drove off. There were no threats of physical violence or beatings dished out.

However I am sorry, but if you think I would have any sympathy for somebody who spends weeks communicating with what they believe is an underage teen/child acting as somebody the same age, sending them false photos etc and grooming them for sex and finally arranges to meet them in a secluded place, where they will be on there own and faced with the stark reality that the teen friend they thought they were talking to is indeed somebody much older, where the child could end up being molested, raped or even killed, taking a beating, then you are sorely mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

:pac:

No, Nonce is his brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

your username is oddly apt, OP

• Advertisement

I seen two of these videos. In each the meeting place was an out of the way place not some built up area with loads of folks around, so it was pretty obvious that the paedophile who turned up was the guy from the chat room. He was also very cagey in keeping watch on the location he arranged to meet the teen.

The guy who turned up in place of a teen was non aggressive, non confrontational and spoke courteously to the paedophile. He asked if he was <username> and if he was expecting to meet <teen user name>. He explained that grooming underage teens/children was a crime and that he believed that he was a paedophile and guilty of grooming underage teens/children. He advised that he was turning the video of their meeting along with the transcripts of their conversations over to the police and advised the peadophile to turn himself in rather than be pulled out of his house by the police in front of his wife and kids (if he had any)

In both cases the peadophine made all the running and picked the meet up place. When confronted they gave some bullsh1t story about being lonely and just wanted to "talk" and eventually drove off. There were no threats of physical violence or beatings dished out.

However I am sorry, but if you think I would have any sympathy for somebody who spends weeks communicating with what they believe is an underage teen/child acting as somebody the same age, sending them false photos etc and grooming them for sex and finally arranges to meet them in a secluded place, where they will be on there own and faced with the stark reality that the teen friend they thought they were talking to is indeed somebody much older, where the child could end up being molested, raped or even killed, taking a beating, then you are sorely mistaken.

You didn't answer my question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Just wanted the documentary on Channel 4 . Wow it will make any other potential paedophile think twice. His Facebook page Stinson Hunter is gone into Overdrive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

The ultimate in glory hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

No amount of 'leading' could ever make me turn up at a location with the intent of f*cking a child, but if the prospect of being caught up worried you then that's none of my business.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

A list of those convicted due to his actions were published at the end of the programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Stheno wrote: »
    A list of those convicted due to his actions were published at the end of the programme.

Lots and lots of suspended sentences, thought it was Ireland for a moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

If he ever crosses paths with the likes of John Wayne Gacey, Ted Bundy or The Green River Killer he'll probably end up dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I'd imagine, unless you were a paedo, not two fecks would you give what he does. Fire ahead lad, IMO. Deserve all they get.

Your image and Video all over Facebook that's as good if not better than a sentence. Least everyone will know who you are coz Police will always protect the Paedophile first
    His Facebook page has got nearly 200,000 more likes since that programme tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I watched the doc on C4 tonight and it is indeed Englands take on the Dateline NBC programme.
    Fantastic and shocking in equal measures imo.

Fantastic that someone, regardless of your opinion of Mr Hunter personally, has taken it upon themselves to expose the levels of grooming and possible peadophilia(possible as if they hadn't have been there and it was the 13 year old that they intended to meet it was almost a certain outcome that it would have taken place as per the adult in questions intention).

Shocking at how many there and how a lot were non-plussed by it

Smidge wrote: »
    I watched the doc on C4 tonight and it is indeed Englands take on the Dateline NBC programme.

Shocking at how many there and how a lot were non-plussed by it
    And the professions of some of the Paedos he caught out is scary they should know better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

biko wrote: »
    Vigilante Stinson Hunter has hit out at 'copycats', dubbing their work 'a complete shambles'
    A vigilante whose actions has led to the arrest of several suspected sex offenders says he is considering whether to carry on after the suicide of a man who was targeted by another group.

That;s got to be the ultimate hypocrisy considering he's a copycat of Chris Hansen!

The problem with the scenario is that it's very easy to call entrapment, the pedo gets away.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Can't stand the bloke been honest .
    Seem to be a vigilante with a hero complex .

We only get to see one side of his so called investigations .

There is a lot to be said about due process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

SIX PACK wrote: »
    And the professions of some of the Paedos he caught out is scary they should know better

What the hell does job profession have to do with it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

The Th!ng wrote: »
    If he ever crosses paths with the likes of John Wayne Gacey, Ted Bundy or The Green River Killer he'll probably end up dead.

Die of fright, will he? Seeing a couple of ghosts will do that to ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Die of fright, will he? Seeing a couple of ghosts will do that to ya

True, but I'd enjoy the luxary of a smile of one of them got the first punch in and flattened him. Karma.

That said, he probably does just enough research to prove that these guys aren't MMA experts in their spare time or something.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Caught some of the documentary last night....when the presenter comes across worse than a bunch of paedophiles it's quite the achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

That said, he probably does just enough research to prove that these guys aren't MMA experts in their spare time or something.

He's lucky he's not doing it in the states, with the concealed-carry laws there he could end up brown bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

A copycat sting has been running in Ireland for past six months, looking forward to the prime time special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

On watching of the show and of reading all the related articles thereof, The peado hunter doesn't actually engage with these people at first, they set up the profile and the guys make contact.
    they also AFAIk don't organise to meet, it is at the suggestion of the older person.

And yes, I would much prefer someone like Stinson Hunter meeting these lads than some 11-14 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

syklops wrote: »

The issue with this type of journalism is it needs an ever greater high every series and at some point in order to catch someone a mistake will be made leading to exactly what you say.

THey are playing on the disgust of paedophiles to counter balance the dodgy ness of the sting. Personally the more they catch the better but that means I am falling for the very game they are playing.

The grooming part is where the paedophiles will be in trouble but if I recall the legality of the sting approach is not allowed in many countries. I could be wrong but didn't the Garda plan something on this for car thieves or am I mixing that up?

• Advertisement
Advertisement