Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood risk in Stameen

Options
  • 01-10-2013 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

I am living in Stameen and for the last couple of years, insurance companies have refused to quote for house insurance as we are a flood risk in their geocoding system. My current insurance company have now put an exclusion on flooding on the policy. This year i tried to get quotes from other companies with flooding excluded and they still refuse to quote. I have lived in Stameen for 30 years and am not aware of any flooding ever here so I am not too put out by that risk but I do feel vulnerable to any price rise that current insurers may decide in the future.
    I am wondering how widespread this is in the area and can anything be done to change our status.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Thats unbelievable. Only "flooding" ever in the estate is after heavy rain on the road coming in to the estate, a big puddle basically. There has never been a flood and it is very unlikely given the estate is on high enough ground.

Maybe you are on Silverstream Ave and backing onto the stream? When building Grange Rath they drained a couple of the ponds and really ruined the flow of the stream through the wood but I haven't been down in a long while. But when I was a kid the stream would occasionally flood, but I don't think it ever penetrated far into the back gardens (if at all). Maybe they just look at the map and see a nearby stream?

I'll ask my parents if their insurance company gives them hassle but as far as I know they don't.

Advertisement