Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parenting Course for Step Parent?

Options
  • 01-10-2013 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Could anyone suggest some type of parenting course or parenting skills programme that has been useful for them? I don't want to sign up for something that won't work.

My husband and son just don't get on. My husband is his step-dad. They used to have a great relationship when he was younger, but he's 16 now and they argue constantly. My son doesn't know his biological dad (could be why he is so angry), and my husband thinks he should be grateful to him for raising him since he's 5, end of!

I am in the middle, and at the end of my tether with them both, and we are having the same arguments over and over again. I would love to find someone to help us, but am not sure if it's relationship counselling myself and my husband need (to get him to understand where my son is coming from) or some type of parenting course that we both need, so that we both understand my son a bit more. Or whether I should just move out and leave them to it!!!
    Help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

How about family counselling? As a stepchild myself when I went through those teenage angst years I really appreciated being able to talk with someone.

The way it worked was my parents and I had 3 seperate counsellors for 40 mins to discuss current issues then we came together (all 6!) to talk and try to resolve things.
    I would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

All I'll say - as the stepparent listening to father and son argue, where again the father thinks his son should be grateful, end of - us that everyone seems to go through it. Do get help - the son had a councillor and the father joined the sessions near the end - but know that you're not alone in this.

My uncle was telling me that he went through the exact same with his son. I know my dad had the same with all 3 of his and the neighbours have similar. I know some cases are worse than others - we needed a new car due to our problems... - but you'll get there.

Advertisement